Thread: How to add brake squeal sound to SLI AC4400CW?

Default How to add brake squeal sound to SLI AC4400CW?

Hi Guys,

Am making a first attempt to alter a sound file, without success so far. The brake squeal is as contained in HR_CEFX1007_AC4400 being part of hrac44-3.zip and the target locomotive SLI_CEFX_ENGINES AC4400_1015. I have used the contents of this thread for guidance
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...e-Squeal-Sound. As a consequence I have completed the following
    1. Copy and paste the relevant Streams for 'cab' and 'X'
    2. Copy and paste both wav. files
    3. Increased the Stream counts for each.

I note the construct of the sms files have considerable differences between the two locomotives. The post by rszucco on 06-01-2005 states "sms cab and eng file into the exact corresponding location(very important)". Unfortunately the differences are so great as to provide no indication as to where I should place the Streams. His success suggests the SD40-2 units were much similar in configuration.

It may well be that I have unwittingly selected two engines not very compatible for a novice however am curious as to why I have been unable to complete what on the face of it is a relatively straight forward operation.

Any suggestions from those with a Sound file 'skill set' would be appreciated.
    Duncan

Where you put the stream doesn't matter so long as it's not inside another stream's brackets.* Make sure the path to the sound file you're calling up is correct. If you have placed the clip in the same location as the SMS, there should be no path at all, for example, if the clip is named "x_brake_comp-1.wav," then the relevant line in the SMS should look like this:

File ( "x_brake_comp-1.wav" -1 )

If you placed the clip somewhere else, then you'd have to specify the correct path. Let's say that you were using my common sounds, for example. In this case, x_brake_comp-1.wav would be located in the brakes subfolder of the audio subfolder of the NAVS_COMMON folder in the trainset folder (yeah, how's that for word soup?). The path in that case would be:

File ( "../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/brakes/x_brake_comp-1.wav" -1 )

This is provided the SMS is in the locomotive's /sound folder, of course. The command "../" tells the sim to go up a folder level. You'd have to modify the path if you have the SMS in a remote location.

Oh, and change the granularity on the frequency curve. 100 is an asinine value. .01 is more reasonable.

*There is a big caveat here. In the days of yore, scalability levels were a thing. Basically, you could change how complex the sounds were with a slider in MSTS, with 5 being the most complex, and 0 the least. So old school SMS files are often grouped into several different scalability levels (I never bothered because it's pointless unless you're running a system that was low-end in 1995). Each scalability level is like a sub-SMS within the SMS, and you won't have two playing at the same time. The upshot is that if you are using OR, or have the slider all the way up in MSTS, and you placed the stream in a lower scalability level - such as 3 - you won't hear it because the sim will be using level 5. Conversely, if you placed it in level 5, and you have the slider turned down, you won't hear it. I'd double check to be sure. If the SMS was set up by someone competent, they will have organized things with heavy amounts of tabbing to make the hierarchy visually intuitive. But most SMS files are a hodgepodge of inconsistency and disorganization, so...
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 09-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Wow, reading through that other post reminds me of how bad we had it in MSTS. What sim are you using, anyway? If you're using OR, don't bother with the MSTS parameters, I have better ones for you. Ones that actually, uh, work.

Just 'touching base' Erick. Thanks so much for the solid information. When time permits (probably this weekend) I'll
    apply myself and try to find where I am going wrong. Yes, I use OR 100% and LOL agree poor ol' MSTS, although I
    thought was just the best thing some 15 years ago, was also the most frustrating introduction to computing I could
    have had. The 'wizardry' employed by the early train simmers in development becomes more impressive as Open Rails
    provides me now with what I guess I always hoped for in a train sim - and no more constant saving against the inevitable
    'crash' haha!
    Thankyou
    Duncan

Sorry for the delayed response, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Anyway, here are the parameters that I use:

Code:
                Stream (
                    Skip ( Brake squeal )
                    Priority ( 6 )
                    Volume ( 0.75 )
                    Triggers ( 2
                        Variable_Trigger ( BrakeCyl_Inc_Past 0.5    StartLoop ( 1    File ( "../brakes/brake_castiron-1.wav" -1 )    SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection )    )    )
                        Variable_Trigger ( BrakeCyl_Dec_Past 0.5    ReleaseLoopRelease ()    )
                    )
                    FrequencyCurve(
                        SpeedControlled
                        CurvePoints ( 5
                            -30        43800
                             -3        44100
                              0        46000
                              3        44100
                             30        43800
                            )
                        Granularity ( 0.001 )
                    )
                    VolumeCurve(
                        BrakeCylControlled
                        CurvePoints ( 2
                             0        0.0
                            60        1.0
                        )
                        Granularity ( 0.01 )
                    )
                    VolumeCurve(
                        SpeedControlled
                        CurvePoints ( 5
                             -8        1.0
                            -.3        0.05
                              0        0.0
                             .3        0.05
                              8        1.0
                            )
                        Granularity ( 0.001 )
                    )                
                )
    Note that you will need to modify the path to reflect what clip that you want to use. These parameters manipulate the volume by both speed and brake cylinder pressure.