Thread: RI-100 Between Port Jervis & Salisbury Mills, NY (An EL-RI Train)

Default RI-100 Between Port Jervis & Salisbury Mills, NY (An EL-RI Train)

The Erie Lackawanna's RI-100 (Also Known as Rock Island 100) was a mixed manifest train with the CRI&P. It was a per schedule train mostly combined with SFE-100 at Meadville, PA. But when the Erie Lackawanna's traffic was increased & became heavy during PC traffic diversions in 1969 & 1970, RI-100 sometimes operated through to Croxton (Jersey City). And in rare instances with RI pool power at the point. This also happened in later years, just before the formation of Conrail.

Back when I was 11 (If you have to known, that was 1975, UGH !), I was lucky enough to have a father who would take me railfanning in the NJ-NY-PA area. Even though he lacked interest in my hobby, he was eager to take me for my interest in my hobby. But in 1975, I was lucky enough to catch RI-100 with Rock Island pool power on the point. I do remember seeing two of the RI's GE U30CH's on the point with two EL SD45 taking the 3rd & 4th spots. Funny thing to a kid of 11 was seeing the double caboose at the end of the consist, one EL and one CRI&P. That day I caught it first at Port Jervis, then we booked to catch it at one of my favorite locations on the old Erie Main, Black Rock Cut (Dad stood in the car for that part), then on to Salisbury Mills & the great Moodna Viaduct. Nothing like seeing a long freight traveling across the sky. So here is to those memories of youth.

STOCK: Diesels West, T-S SLI Repaints, MLT Repaints, BLW/ZT & T-S Download Library
    ROUTE: The Tristate Project (Work In Progress)

That hot,muggy August day in 1975, RI-100 is passing the historic Port Jervis station. The Matamoras, PA bridge is in the background (Great fireworks store on the PA side on the right in modern times )

Passing over the area known as Tristate (NY-NJ-PA). Route 23 coming in from NJ would be just on the other side of those homes in the background.

At Tristate with two hacks bringing up the rear, One EL & one RI. To an 11 year old, seeing that is a thrill.

Entering Black Rock Cut on the upgrade. Dad listened to a NY Mets game in the car while I ventured to the cut with a Kodak Instamatic 126 camera. I think he feared the snakes that were in the area . .

Coming out of Black Rock Cut. I use to love the sound echoing in the valley before they hit that crest.

There was nothing like a summer day in the Southern Tier train watchin' as a kid in the 1970's. The Pine Island Valley area echoed with motive power back in those days.

And then there is Moodna !

One of my favorite spots for viewing EL trains back then (And today too) was from Otterkill Rd and looking up. I actually saw my dad smile one day looking up & muttering under his breath "Holy $*^&#".

Another spot was from the south approach so you could get the full perspective of the valley with a consist crossing Moodna. It is still a sight to see today when you can catch one crossing.

Enjoy your weekend.
    - Mark -

Wow, this route continues to get better even though I have not been a beta tester in quite a few years. I should really get back into it since I have a better computer to handle OR.

Quote Originally Posted by amtrak808 View Post
    Wow, this route continues to get better even though I have not been a beta tester in quite a few years. I should really get back into it since I have a better computer to handle OR.
    It is a great WIP route. Doug is doing a hell of a job on it. The track layout is one of the most prototypical routes I ever experienced for ORTS.
    - Mark -

Nice screenshots!

Is it available for download.
    Regards,

Eric

Eric,

The route is still under development and has not been released except to beta testers.
    Paul

Thanks for the info.
    Regards,

Eric