Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: API key for TSRE

Default API key for TSRE

[QUOTE
    You can use Google Maps instead with your API key.[/QUOTE]
    API key does not work I get no data just grey blocks where data should be even requested a new API key but no go. Any help with this would be appreciated , otherwise I am SOL with correct data from routes.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

This has been discussed in the DTG Railworks/TS20xx forums where the Google overlay is built into the route editor. Basically, Google now require users to lodge a debit or credit card as "deposit" against exceeding the free usage limit. The minimum charge if you go over the limit is (I believe) US$200. Unlikely for train sim use this would be an issue, but would you trust Google with an open ended means to charge your account and what recourse do you have if they get it wrong?

I certainly wouldn't!

I have also seen other (not train sim) sites where embedded Google Maps feed has been taken off line, presumably because the company is applying a similar policy to data usage.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    This has been discussed in the DTG Railworks/TS20xx forums where the Google overlay is built into the route editor. Basically, Google now require users to lodge a debit or credit card as "deposit" against exceeding the free usage limit. The minimum charge if you go over the limit is (I believe) US$200. Unlikely for train sim use this would be an issue, but would you trust Google with an open ended means to charge your account and what recourse do you have if they get it wrong?I certainly wouldn't!I have also seen other (not train sim) sites where embedded Google Maps feed has been taken off line, presumably because the company is applying a similar policy to data usage.
    Ok, so I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I have TS 2018. I don't have to use a API key nor do I have one. It works without a key because its already built into the sim. Those of us in the train sim communities in theory should not have to worry about exceeding the free usage limit. With all that said, does Google still expect a person to put down a deposit? I'm with you. I won't. Too many cases of computer ID theft out there and more and more stories about companies like Google getting hacked and customers account info being obtained.

And I gather those using TRES and want that API will have to deal with the policy Google now has and they will be expected to "pay" that deposit?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    This has been discussed in the DTG Railworks/TS20xx forums where the Google overlay is built into the route editor. Basically, Google now require users to lodge a debit or credit card as "deposit" against exceeding the free usage limit. The minimum charge if you go over the limit is (I believe) US$200. Unlikely for train sim use this would be an issue, but would you trust Google with an open ended means to charge your account and what recourse do you have if they get it wrong?

I certainly wouldn't!

I have also seen other (not train sim) sites where embedded Google Maps feed has been taken off line, presumably because the company is applying a similar policy to data usage.
    This is my concern with using Google API's now.I will not pay to use Google API keys just to have a few hours in the RE. Goku really needs to figure out a better choice for maps that does not require pay or better yet fix the Open map issue! I will continue to press this issue because I know a lot of guys that use the overlay needs this!
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by MSTS lifer View Post
    Ok, so I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I have TS 2018. I don't have to use a API key nor do I have one. It works without a key because its already built into the sim.
    Yes, but TS is not a free software. DTG has money to put into it's own key.
    I'm surprised that before it worked just like in TSRE, forcing user to obtain own API key ...

Can we come up with a solution to get me up and running with map that is what my question is about. I am very frustrated right now that as a programmer you say you can use Google API and turns out you really can't.
    Todd

I still use it with my KEY.

Don't know why it works for me. Maybe Google uses my credit card that I use for Google Play / Google Pay. Ofc I don't pay anything because I never exceed the free 200 usd limit.

---

The OSM layer will be back when I find space on my SSD for QT compilation.

Google Images will work this way as now .. lets hope that Google won't shut down the free limits.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    I still use it with my KEY.

Don't know why it works for me. Maybe Google uses my credit card that I use for Google Play / Google Pay. Ofc I don't pay anything because I never exceed the free 200 usd limit.
    Well why dont it work for me? Can you explain that? Here is how I have imagemaps url
    imageMapsUrl = http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center={lat},{lon}&zoom={zoom}&size={res }x{res}&maptype=satellite&key=
    Todd

There is a space here:
    {res }
    and ofc you need a key.