Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Sim World Editor announcement

Default Train Sim World Editor announcement

I wouldn't say excited but I'm certainly curious as I've already played around in UE4. I was wondering how they would manage to do this since everything is in UE4. I'll have to see what other sims have in mind for the new year, and what money I have left over.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalRailways View Post
    Are you excited ?
    Yeah....wetting myself with excitement.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Yeah....wetting myself with excitement.
    Better put your Tena on Bruce.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Downloaded UE-4 when Jointed Rail announced their UE based simulator.

Definitely not user friendly, big learning curve.

Harold

Yes there is a big learning curve but some say the same about Run8 just as a train simulator as well.

The learning curve however gets much steeper in UE4 when you start looking into the programming side as I have. But here we are just dealing with (well I'm not sure to be exact) but from what I gather asset placement, their scripting language (much simpler than programming in C) and the TSW program likely providing the variables that interact with the scripts.

All joking aside about soiling ourselves, I'll be very curious how far the editors will go. If done right and flexible enough this could actually not only make it difficult to create routes, but allow route developers the tools necessary to not saturate a market, thus creating more demand.

My question is now though, what is TSW's revenue stream coming from? If you use the MSTS formula the program alone and this ability will bring on more sales. But this is a different time and there is so much competition out there. I'm wondering how this all interacts with the casual person wanting to create and share their creations? Could this be simply a portal into the creative side, that TSW takes a cut to bring on in.

After all UE4 though free to use for casual users, has it's own business model. They give those tools for free in hopes people become successful at what they do. Then once they have reached a certain level of sales, the revenue sharing kicks in and that is how they make their money.

I think I'll do a YouTube live stream on this and other things tonight as this is something that is certainly on my mind. It really has lots to do with immersion and the factors that play in it (and hamper it). Having a good functioning editor with this level of graphics is a game change in my opinion if done right. For me Run8 with the right elements and physics can be very immersive. But despite the less than stellar physics in TSW, what the eye's see and ear's hear can be immersive in it's own right. If you can be as complicated and sophisticated with the scenarios as well with it's editor perhaps this may be the hot product in 2019. The others may want to take note.

Glad to see they are pushing the edge again though. Yes I know the physics are a disappointment. But had there been a world I could have a system in play, or an editor that changes what I can do with this at that cost of realism. Those that rest on what they've done in the past or simply rehash or rest too long will be left in the dust. So yeah for that part I'm excited to see what others might do to keep their programs up to date as well.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Yes I know the physics are a disappointment. But had there been a world I could have a system in play, or an editor that changes what I can do with this at that cost of realism. Those that rest on what they've done in the past or simply rehash or rest too long will be left in the dust. So yeah for that part I'm excited to see what others might do to keep their programs up to date as well.
    Actually the diesel physics were vastly improved with the West Somerset Railway DLC that came with BR classes 09 and 47. Now driving a train actually feels like you are really driving something weighing many tons, braking is realistic, as is coasting, and the cruise control problem is gone. No more skating on a frozen pond.

Yes, the wheels don't slip under any conditions; they've still got a ways to go. I bought the WSR DLC because I had heard that Dovetail finally got diesel physics correct, and was not disappointed. I know that many never bought this DLC because a), "it's only a museum railway, how much fun could that be?!??," and b), it's Dovetail, after all, and we know all about their track record. Well, actually I had a lot of fun with it, and the scenery is positively stunning. They've promised to upgrade the diesels in CSX Heavy Haul and the NEC routes to the new specs, too.

Now, is it Run8 physics? No. Nor is it ORTS. But it's definitely in the same ballpark as MSTS was and the graphics on this thing are simply better - by a country mile - than anything else out there.

So yeah, I'm excited too.

Regards,

David

Will be worth a look but so far as UK routes are concerned, assuming the assets from existing routes can be utilised/referenced will be a limited selection to work with. Likewise the trains. But at least they have defied my expectations and actually confirmed there will be an editor.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Actually the diesel physics were vastly improved ..... it's definitely in the same ballpark as MSTS was...
    "Was"?
    Was when....back when MSTS was released?
    If so, then the physics/dynamics would need a lot of work.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Thanks

Sean

Thanks

Sean
    Thanks, Sean.