Thread: MLWCOA2 and ORTS Explorer mode

Default MLWCOA2 and ORTS Explorer mode

Dear all,

I think I need som help with this new route.

I use ORTS X4249 and have a Win10 with a i7-4700 with 16GB RAM and 2GB on the graphics card.
    Installation was very neat and fast.

As always, when Mr. Sullivan "gives" us a new Milwaukee route, I make some paths (ORTS Track Viever) and go through most of the route in ORTS Explorer mode.

I am a fan of Jerry's route design but this time I had som problems in Explorer mode.

The route between Cle Elum and Renton has red signals at almost all every station in this section.
    The MILW route from Renton to Seattle are functioning normal, so are all the NP lines.

Are the any help for this ???

I had to use CTRL M in Explorer mode to get rid of the reds. Yes, as many of you know, the CTRL M get the reds to green if they ever should appear in Explorer mode. This is very convenient when you get reds like this. This is an additional function to that in route mode.

My opinion is that red signals should not be present in Explorer mode.

It is nice to notice that now you can run from Harlowton to Seattle. This route is a very valuable entry to our ORTS world.

all the best from

John on Norway

Use the Explore in Activity Mode option

Dear geepster775 and all,

Thanks for your hint, however this mode restricts you to just go along at a predesigned path, if you try to go outside the trouble starts.
    I think this solution is not the best, however at the time the best we have got soo far.

Question 1:I would like to know why the signalling is that different between Milw Cle Elum and Renton, inkluding the High-Line branch.

Question 2: What was the thinking behind the "Explore in Acitvity mode option", I have tried to get som information out of the manual but in vain. There might be more to than this ?

All the best to all

from John in Norway

As per the OR Manual x4220 (Page 13) the difference between the two explores are:

If you select - Explore Route - (first entry under Activity, you will also have to select the consist, the
    path, the starting time, the season and the weather with the relevant buttons.

If you select + Explore in activity mode + (second entry under Activity:, you will have to select same
    items as with Explore route, but in this case the game will automatically generate an activity (with the
    player train only) and will execute it. By exploring the route in this mode you will able to switch to autopilot
    mode if you like and you will have access to some other activity features like randomized weather
    if selected.

I ran the route between those 2 locations and I haven't experience any red signals between Cle Elum & Renton in explore mode, I ran both electric (Bi-Polars, Little Joes) & diesel (F Units, U Boats) locomotives too. Not once did I have to go into Manual [CNTL+M] to get permission. I am puzzled.
    I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

I am confused about this. I have the activity and timetable mode on there and don't get autopilot mode when exploring. How do you select to explore I activity mode in open rails?

Quote Originally Posted by FireEngine View Post
    I am confused about this. I have the activity and timetable mode on there and don't get autopilot mode when exploring. How do you select to explore I activity mode in open rails?
    In the drop-down menu below the Activity & Timetable Mode buttons. The first 2 items in the drop down will be "Explore Route" & "Explore In Activity Mode".

For using the autopilot choose "Explore In Activity Mode" along with your consist & starting point. When it loads, press ALT + A to engage the autopilot.

Hope this helps/
    I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

Dear all!

Thanks to all the comments.

Sorry, I am afraid that this does not help me at the moment.

I have about 40 routes on my hard disk, they all work in explorer mode, including the other 4 Milwaukee routes. In the beginning I had a lot of red lights especially on the Harlowtown-Deer Lodge route.

There has been a revision of the signaling in ORTS in explorer mode, a while ago, so I wonder, - can the red signals on my explorer mode
    have something to do with the signalling in ORTS itself?

After my humble opinion, running any route in Explorer mode should give you all greens all the time, - you are the only one there.

Best regards to all

from John in Norway