Thread: Timing of AI trains

Default Timing of AI trains

The route is BNSF Scenic Sub, the activity is "What Goes Up" running in OR VX4230. At the beginning of the activity the player train has to wait in the hole at Skykomish for about 30 minutes for a WB coal train to clear. Not wanting to wait that long I altered the starting time of both the AI coal train and the AI intermodal which was following it. The alteration was done using TSRE5 activity editor and then checked the .trf file to make sure that the starting time had been changed. the first change was to start both trains 10 minutes earlier. Before I made the change I checked the position of the 2 AI trains using Dispatcher View. After making the change, checked again and the 2 Ai trains were still in the same position.
    repeated the operation starting another 10 minutes earlier and the Ai's were still in the same position, they had not advanced. Repeated changing another 10 minutes and they still had not advanced! I'm pretty sure that I have done the same operation with other activities on other routes and was successful at changing the meet times between player and AI trains. I eventually used the speed up the clock function to cut down on the wait time. Could have also altered the starting point on the path and left the start times as they were, but the same path is used in another activity which it would have screwed up. Just curious why changing the start times did not alter the position of the AI trains whin the activity starts. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don

Are you checking both the relevant TRF and ACT files to see if the start timing change is in both?

When the activity starts for me at 12:00:00 (always a bad start time for any activity) the coal train is still in the tunnel.

When I open both the ACT and TRF files in notepad (no activity editor of any kind involved) and delete 600 from the AI clock values for both AIs in both files, the activity begins with the coal train on the single track west of Scenic siding (essentially out of the tunnel). The changes are taking hold, just not very much of a noticeable distance difference on account of the slow speed limits.

The initial default timings combined with the 20 mph speed limit require 40 minutes for the coal train to clear the single main for the player.

I recall there being some issue when activities start precisely at 12:00:00 or 24:00:00 on the dot?

Yes the problem was that the start times in the .act file had not changed, still showed the original. Also noticed in the .trf file the Service Definition line did not have a closed bracket placed at the end of it.
    It would appear I didn't do the operation correctly or TRSE5 AE doesn't change things correctly. Perhaps if Goku is monitoring this he can set me straight. Looks like the easiest way to alter the times is to manually change the .trf and .act text files.
    Also I had altered the activity start time to 11:59 thinking that there had been a mention of issues with activities starting at 12:00 or 24:00

thanks
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I recall there being some issue when activities start precisely at 12:00:00 or 24:00:00 on the dot?
    Oh yes... Never start at Noon or Midnight on the dot. It always seems to cause chaos for some some unexplained reason.

I don't even start them at the top of an hour too, even on the half hour because I have had some acts I did "burp" doing that. I usually start a few minutes before or after and never had a problem when doing that.
    I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -