Thread: DBTracks' status?

Default DBTracks' status?

The dbtracks.com website is still up while Norbert has deceased a few years ago already.

Are DBTtracks still being developed by some other person or group of persons that inherited Norbert's work?

Not that I know of. Most likely the project died with Norbert. I think a close relative might be keeping the site up

I think Steven Masters has been making a few errant exotic pieces as route builders discover holes.

Didn't you ask this question a couple months ago and get the same answer?

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...29431-DBTracks

Not really sure what the issue is. Just how much more development needs there to be with respect to DB tracks and US tracks? Aside from the handful of complex pieces that seem to be built on the fly by third parties who have figured out the profile Norbert originally used, what more is there to worry about? Everybody who is anybody should have downloaded any and everything from Norbert's site by now and tucked the material away in a safe place so it lives on safely in the event of a website going offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Didn't you ask this question a couple months ago and get the same answer?

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...29431-DBTracks

Not really sure what the issue is. Just how much more development needs there to be with respect to DB tracks and US tracks? Aside from the handful of complex pieces that seem to be built on the fly by third parties who have figured out the profile Norbert originally used, what more is there to worry about? Everybody who is anybody should have downloaded any and everything from Norbert's site by now and tucked the material away in a safe place so it lives on safely in the event of a website going offline.
    There are quite a few pieces from the Xtracks range, and even a few from the default Kuju range that are not duplicated in any of Norbert's track pieces, either DB or US. Only the most basic switches are replicated, for example. Hardly any of the crossings are done, for another. Norbert meant to get around to those but, as he told me, those pieces had to be done by hand rather than use DynaTrax to produce them. Yep, that's how he produced the curved and straight pieces: DynaTrax. So he put off doing the hard stuff and, unfortunately, waited too long.

There are many advanced routes like the Milwaukee RMD routes and the TriState route that will never be able to be converted because they use so many of those Xtracks pieces not replicated in Norbert's libraries. So whoever is attempting to fill those gaps has a long and complex path ahead of him. I certainly hope that someone takes up the challenge, but given the current state of the community here and the complexity of the involved project I'm doubtful it ever will.

Regards,
    David

I've been using USTracks on my route projects, and while the yards can be a bit tricky, I like it. The only problem I've had is diamonds, but someone (Claus, maybe?) converted the USTracks textures into the Xtracks shapes, so they can stand in pretty well