Thread: DBTracks' status?

Default DBTracks' status?

The dbtracks.com website is still up while Norbert has deceased a few years ago already.

Are DBTtracks still being developed by some other person or group of persons that inherited Norbert's work?

Not that I know of. Most likely the project died with Norbert. I think a close relative might be keeping the site up

I think Steven Masters has been making a few errant exotic pieces as route builders discover holes.

Didn't you ask this question a couple months ago and get the same answer?

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...29431-DBTracks

Not really sure what the issue is. Just how much more development needs there to be with respect to DB tracks and US tracks? Aside from the handful of complex pieces that seem to be built on the fly by third parties who have figured out the profile Norbert originally used, what more is there to worry about? Everybody who is anybody should have downloaded any and everything from Norbert's site by now and tucked the material away in a safe place so it lives on safely in the event of a website going offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Didn't you ask this question a couple months ago and get the same answer?

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...29431-DBTracks

Not really sure what the issue is. Just how much more development needs there to be with respect to DB tracks and US tracks? Aside from the handful of complex pieces that seem to be built on the fly by third parties who have figured out the profile Norbert originally used, what more is there to worry about? Everybody who is anybody should have downloaded any and everything from Norbert's site by now and tucked the material away in a safe place so it lives on safely in the event of a website going offline.
    There are quite a few pieces from the Xtracks range, and even a few from the default Kuju range that are not duplicated in any of Norbert's track pieces, either DB or US. Only the most basic switches are replicated, for example. Hardly any of the crossings are done, for another. Norbert meant to get around to those but, as he told me, those pieces had to be done by hand rather than use DynaTrax to produce them. Yep, that's how he produced the curved and straight pieces: DynaTrax. So he put off doing the hard stuff and, unfortunately, waited too long.

There are many advanced routes like the Milwaukee RMD routes and the TriState route that will never be able to be converted because they use so many of those Xtracks pieces not replicated in Norbert's libraries. So whoever is attempting to fill those gaps has a long and complex path ahead of him. I certainly hope that someone takes up the challenge, but given the current state of the community here and the complexity of the involved project I'm doubtful it ever will.

Regards,
    David

I've been using USTracks on my route projects, and while the yards can be a bit tricky, I like it. The only problem I've had is diamonds, but someone (Claus, maybe?) converted the USTracks textures into the Xtracks shapes, so they can stand in pretty well

I think the USTracks pieces we do have now cover 99% of a route and is suitable for 95% of the route territory of the world. Now if route builders would just focus more on those type of projects and worry less about the flamboyant passenger train routes with 8 main tracks and complex double-slip yard throats that embody that 5% geographic exception.....

The track pieces available now under the work scope listed on the DBTracks website at least will fit with 99% of the routes I have an interest in. What inconveniences that are really missing are the diamonds, switches inside tunnels, single and double slip switches, and high speed curved turnouts (hardly ever seen outside the NEC). Switches inside tunnels won't really matter as with pitch black conditions nobody will ever see any awkward transition between UStracks and Xtracks inside a dark tunnel interior, so they literally end up as the last thing on anyone's to-do list. Many early route builders screwed up and employed double slip switches and scissors crossovers (with a diamond interior) on their routes where no freight railroad would ever use them on account of real world high cost. I bet these route builders used them just because those flamboyant Xtrack pieces were there and they felt they looked cool, if not totally out of place. And things like roundhouse tracks and car float aprons were never on the agenda to begin with. Routes that involve the NEC or large passenger terminal will be tougher to convert, but if you are a route builder obsessed with modeling urban areas like the throat to Chicago Union Station, then if you want to carry that scenery workload then by all means add the missing UStracks pieces to you to-do list. But I won't be there. Honestly, I think too many route builders right now are tackling an excessive amount of urbanized terrain. We need more routes like the MLT Cascade Crossings, where you begin in a medium sized yard like Eugene and end in a medium sized yard like Klamath,

Do them if you want, but complex routes like Tri-State and PRR-ER that barely can get out the shop door without a corrupt TDB would never be friendly conversions from the start. And the MILW routes have been doomed from any useful conversion by the use of M-Tracks, which USTracks was never designed to substitute for.

The Milw routes are not really doomed. They would be better candidates for Scale Rail since Marc might be able to offer support for sections needed. The trick is not to wait too long before something happens to Marc Nelson God forbid. SR looks good on WP3 which is in the same time period sort to speak.

Robert

Hi,

Sorry Mr PXSE, I'm afraid you have been badly mis-informed. The Tristate Route does NOT have a corrupt TDB.

And, as long as I'm able to work a keyboard, it never will.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Mr. PXSE,

How many routes have you actually completed?

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"