Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Route editor preview video

1. Default Route editor preview video

Still very much work-in-progress but here's what the infra editing looks like at the moment:

The 2D-mode is easier and faster to use in my opinion but I did the video in 3D because it's more interesting to watch. Working on the scenery editing next...

I just watched this on FB and was astounded by how flexible the editor and editing functions seemed to be, Oskari.

I hope i am not reading too much into it. But is it as easy to use as it looked ?

Really looking forward to seeing more.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

3. Default

I'd like to think it is! That said I've barely used any of the editors for the other sims. The first time I tried TS17 route editor it crashed to the desktop within 5 minutes, and in case of BVE, the routes were usually written to a text file with notepad or Excel.

The flipside of the simplicity is that the first version of the editor will be quite restricted in what it can do. The platforms, canopies etc. all look the same, but I'll be adding more possibilities for customisation in the future.

Another thing which isn't shown in the video is that the stopping markers will be on the platforms instead of next to the track.

I liked the way you grabbed the whole station area and moved it all sideways, track as well.

I was also interested in you saying 2D is a lot easier to use.

Where for me i would probably feel disorientated not building in 3D. Not having the physical reference points, with a flat 2D screen.

None of this is meant as a criticism Oskari, just thinking out loud buddy.

Just having the use of the editors to lay track and rail infrastucture is a good start.

Extras can come later, as i am personally happy.

As long as the railway itself can be created and run realistically.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Lapioware View Post
    .... and in case of BVE, the routes were usually written to a text file with notepad or Excel.
    Correct....and believe me, that was as tedious as watching grass grow....or paint drying!

Incidentally....that video is not playing for me. Comes up with a YouTube error message.

I must say that I am looking forward to this route editor more than any of the other sims....such as TSW and Tz2019.
    Reason is that I can possibly use it to create at least one line here in Oz which featured diesel rail-cars....the run from Queanbeyan (near Canberra) to Cooma, which has been dead for decades.
    Part of that line is used by a current railway historical society to run a rail-car between Cooma station and Chakola.
    (Operations are currently suspended as they have to replace sleepers....and the cost is close to AU$50,000.)
    Last edited by seagoon; 10-23-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Incidentally....that video is not playing for me. Comes up with a YouTube error message.
    Try this link : https://youtu.be/s5t56Lgnysw

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Thank you, Ged.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

8. Default

Argh, I suppose the video didn't work even when I first posted it. My browser settings are so strict that the video wouldn't play anyway. This probably works (thanks Ged)

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Reason is that I can possibly use it to create at least one line here in Oz which featured diesel rail-cars....the run from Queanbeyan (near Canberra) to Cooma, which has been dead for decades.
    That would be an interesting run! The first version of the editor most likely won't have all the features necessary to build a real-world route unless you're very good at replicating the track layout from a drawing, but at least it can be used to practicing and quickly putting together something fictional for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapioware View Post
    .....The first version of the editor most likely won't have all the features necessary to build a real-world route unless you're very good at replicating the track layout from a drawing, ....
    Oskari, I am fortunate in having the track plan and gradient profiles for this route, ex-NSWGR files, so I could probably do an acceptable replication.
    (I did a similar work-around for the Robe River Iron and the Tarana-Oberon routes for Trainz way back in the Dark Ages )

The line traverses part of what is known as the Monaro High Plains and the tracks are still in situ....reason being that by law if the tracks are not lifted then the line is not classed as being closed but as having services suspended. There are rural lines like this all over the place out here.

The Monaro Highway, between Canberra and the Snowy Mountains, crosses the dead railway line in a couple of locations.....
    here
    https://goo.gl/maps/wqpwXhz5YwS2

.......here
    https://goo.gl/maps/u1LkbMi2Wbq

......and also here
    https://goo.gl/maps/9bDfuqFQASA2
    Last edited by seagoon; 10-24-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Looking forward to trying this, probably on a short route at first to get the hang of it. Depending on whether we can get DEM data in there hopefully a real life location, not fictional.

We old hands are used to interpreting data and translating into route editors. I never dabbled with BVE but the old Train Driver 3 (Amiga Emulator) programme had a text based editor and I used that with some success. The old Jens Schubert Railsim also used a graph style interface to input data and I did a few that gave good results. The only sim I never had any success with was the old Zusi 2 editor, partly because most of the instructions were in German and, despite the simple graphics, the editor ran like a sloth.
    Vern.