Thread: Google Maps not loading in route editor

Default Google Maps not loading in route editor

Howdy everybody.

I have been playing for a long time this simulator, and noe I have TS2018 and i decided to make my own real routes based on Google maps. I have seen many tutorials on how to create these routes. But I have a problem and i don't know how to solve it.

I have an API Key for my route but it's not loading in the editor. I only see those blue circles and nothing. The Google Maps Overlay is not showing at all. I have tried different Map Resolutions, Map types and Zoom level in the TS settings but nothing.

If someone could help with this problem, it could be appreciated.

This may help - you have to enable billing now, although you are very unlikely to get charged anything as the free number of uses will exceed what you ned.
    http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...19c9d#p1845175
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that in order to get a API key that works, one will have to set up a billing account on the Google Cloud Platform and provide either a valid CC or bank account# and routing#. Also, FYI: Google Cloud Will not accept a prepaid CC and best I can tell, has no other payment options if that's all you have. Poor move on Googles part. The greedy bastards! I think in the end this will prove to be a poor business decision and they will lose money instead of making crazy money on the maps. For those of us in the train and flight sim communities we would never even come close to the $200 limit. Well, maybe a few of us would.... I doubt Google would even consider this, but why not estimate the usage and if there's no doubt it'll ever hit the limit, issue the API (and other goodies) without requiring financial info. And if one does happen to hit the limit, then Google informs you via email and either you pay the bill or you don't. Obviously if you don't pay the bill, Google will disable the map(s) until you do.

Interesting, i will set up a billing account on the Google Cloud Platform and see what happens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nachoman View Post
    Interesting, i will set up a billing account on the Google Cloud Platform and see what happens.

Thanks
    I switched over to the old school method. I'm now using Google Earth and making KML markers. My first time and really not that hard to overall do. For those without a API and don't want to disclose your financial info to Google, here's a tutorial I believe by Mike Simpson on how to mark markers. I found it very easy to follow. You will need RW Tools to do this. Overall it works and I found the process not all that different compared to having the API map overlay engaged.

http://www.rstools.info/tutorials/Marker_Tutorial.pdf

Strange to relate, when I last took at look in the RW/TS editor a few days ago, I could still pull up the full functionality of the Google overlay. However as 'lifer says above, it is not hard to revert to the old way of doing things. In some ways better as having the overlay running tends to result in a kind of creative "OCD" from too much information, as opposed to just getting on and putting your own interpretation on the area.
    Vern.