Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coal Mining Structures

Sounds impressive. For those of us who are not familiar with the route areas is there a basic route map to orient a view??
    Thanks
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

No basic route map, but it can be easily followed on Google Earth.

For the Clinch-Appalachia, start at Bluefield, WV and follow the southmost
    route through Cedar Bluff, Richlands, Saint Paul, to Norton, VA. Note the
    branches that go north from Cedar Bluff & Richlands and the branches off
    those. Then continue west from Norton through Appalachia to St. Charles
    and note all the branches off that line.

For the Eastern Kentucky, start at Winchester, KY and follow the rail line
    east through Ravenna, Jackson, Hazard and Blackey to Deane, KY. This
    line also extended east from Blackey through Whitesburg to McRoberts
    and this latter part is mostly abandoned. There are also branches off this
    line. In addition, I will include two long abandoned routes that were the
    original routes into the coal field, and a cannel coal line that went north
    from a point just west of Jacksonl These were all abandoned by 1930.

Then, for the Big Sandy South, start at Elkhorn City, KY and follow the
    rail line north to Paintsville, KY including all branches off of it. I will
    also include the old Levisa line into the Johns Creek area and the line
    south from Martin will end at Deane, where it connects to the EK Sub.
    line.

Lastly, for the Virginian, start at Deep Water, WV and work south and
    east to Kellysville, WV including all branches off of it. Then the main
    lines extend east from Kellysville to Roanoke and I have included the
    former N&W line from east of Bluefield to Roanoke. This is so that
    there is a "connection" between the Virginian & Clinch-Appalchia
    routes.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 05-21-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spellling error

Hi Folks,

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 05-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Scott,

Very good. Need a few more yellow marks west of Saint Paul. Follow the N&W northwest
    through Coeburn to Norton. At that point follow the Southern (now NS, former Interstate)
    from Norton to Appalachia. Then follow the SR on to St. Charles, 25 miles or so west of
    Appalachia. There are two branches north out of Norton, another just west of Norton
    and one north out of Appalachia through Andover. I spent a lot of time in Andover in my
    SR days. Great spot really. SR practice was to exile someone to such a place if they
    fouled up, but the top dogs did not want to fire them. So a General Foreman was
    exiled to Andover. He found schools much better than Atlanta, and the country club dues
    were a small fraction of any in Atlanta, so when he got word he was being promoted back
    to Atlanta, he suggested this could be stuck where the sun doesn't shine.

J. H. Sullivan

Default Coal Mining Structures

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Scott,

Very good. Need a few more yellow marks west of Saint Paul. Follow the N&W northwest
    through Coeburn to Norton. At that point follow the Southern (now NS, former Interstate)
    from Norton to Appalachia. Then follow the SR on to St. Charles, 25 miles or so west of
    Appalachia. There are two branches north out of Norton, another just west of Norton
    and one north out of Appalachia through Andover. I spent a lot of time in Andover in my
    SR days. Great spot really. SR practice was to exile someone to such a place if they
    fouled up, but the top dogs did not want to fire them. So a General Foreman was
    exiled to Andover. He found schools much better than Atlanta, and the country club dues
    were a small fraction of any in Atlanta, so when he got word he was being promoted back
    to Atlanta, he suggested this could be stuck where the sun doesn't shine.

J. H. Sullivan
    Hi Jerry,

I’ll see if I can update this if I have more time - this was just quick and dirty - using only the points you mentioned - Googles My Maps - does a pretty nice job with this task...

On Chris’s B&O and the Sandpatch all the way to Connellsville PA - I used the “path” tool and traced the actual tracks - it works much the same as the old USA Photomaps that people seemed to like a great deal... You just keep clicking to add points. - the map below is made up of thousands of mouse clicks (it goes pretty fast)... These can easily be used as marker files for route building...

Link to interactive map (which now needs to be extended to Keyser):
    Baltimore and Ohio - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Nd&usp=sharing

Yeah - exile sounds great to me as well - Atlanta is way too crowded for my liking...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 05-24-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Scott,

Agreed about Google Maps. I have fortunately found that the points digitized in G.E. are only
    slightly off from those in PhotoMaps, which I still use in areas where I had thought to download
    data when it was available. In the Clinch-Appalachia route, I used G.E. to mark all of the
    former N&W parts and PhotoMaps to mark most of the former SR, IR, and Clinchfield parts.

I had done my original versions of the Kingsport & BlueRidge subs. of CSX, i.e. Clinchfield,
    by taking careful measurements off topo maps, all that was available before UsaPhotomaps
    came out. Since then I have digitized those routes with PhotoMaps and noted details from
    G.E. and I'm piddling along with 2nd versions of those routes, further back on the burner
    than other routes. Likewise my two Brazil routes are done totally with G.E.

The only problem I have using G.E. is that there is a tendency, at least on my part, to
    place many more points than is really needed, so I have also used a slower method of
    placing pushpins at specific points. This produces a file similar to that done with
    UsaPhotomaps.

J. H. Sullivan

Probably the most unique coal mining structure that I've ever heard of - using retired B&O hoppers. Just confirms that a prototype for almost anything you can think of and then some.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainplanepro/13971158846
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Mr. Sullivan,

So there is going to be an updated version of the Clinchfield some day? I read that and a big smile came across my face. I love the earlier versions of the Clinchfield that you have done and must say your track work is fantastic. Those are 2 of my favorite routes in the sim and in person. Howbeit, not as much traffic here on the Clinchfield as before. Can't wait to see your next version of these routes.

Thanks,
    CSX FAN

Jerry, tremendously excited about a redo of the Clinchfield and looking forward to it. I’ve been following it on a page in Facebook. Photos are posted daily.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Steve,

I don't post on FaceBook, rarely use it, so someone else is doing the Clinchfield as well.
    Is that route for MSTS, or more likely TRAINZ which seems to have a growing following.
    I looked at RailWorks & TRAINZ and both are good simulators, and placing track,
    especially in RailWorks (TrainSimulator--) is really neat. But I stayed with MSTS only
    because the physics of the equipment in MSTS is more correct. I have a little experience
    running the 1Ft. = 1FT. scale so I preferred a simulator that felt right. Can you provide
    a link to what you are seeing on FaceBook.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 06-20-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added name