Thread: Midwest Mega Route

Wayzata, MN Mile Post 26.6 on BNSF Wayzata Sub

Default Midwest Mega Route

Hey everyone I know I have been fairly quiet on this forum but have decided to let you all know that Josh and I have teamed up together to build a mega route that will cover the Midwest from the Twin Cites to Chicago on the BNSF and CP Mainlines along with all of Chicago and the Twin Cities areas. I have also been in the progress of building all of the main routes out of the Twin Cities area including the BNSF Mainline to Fargo, ND CP Mainline to Glenwood, MN, BNSF to Superior WI and have also included Duluth as well with the North Shore Scenic Railroad to Two Harbors. A few other routes that will be included are the Twin Cities and Western Railroad, BNSF Wayzata Sub to Willmar, MN and possibly out to Fargo eventually. We also plan on eventually putting in the UP Mainline from the Twin Cities to Chicago as well along with the main going down to Omaha, NE This route when completed is intended for Multiplayer use for Open Rails. The whole route will be scale rail and to scale. This route would not be possible if it wasnt for the Open Rails team along with the Route editor that Goku created. It has been years in the making and Josh and I have finally started to make some headway on the project. Currently we are both working on track for the CP Mainline so we can connect our routes into one. We will be doing the same for the BNSF as well. The era of the route will be mainly centered around modern time but it does not mean you couldn't run past railroads. Our main focus right now is getting all of the track work in and then it will be on to scenery. We also have had the help of Erik who has been nice enough to let us use his CNW Route to put into our route. We will need help with custom objects when the time comes and scenery help as well. This is a major undertaking and we do not plan on sending this route off to just anyone. The route is already huge in size but it also is not compressed yet. Here is a shot of the track work I have done over the past few years. I have currently been working on track work for the Tomah Sub to Portage and that is almost complete. After Josh and I finish with connecting our routes we will more then likely start with scenery on the routes. If anyone would like to help please give us time to connect the routes and make sure everything is in order first. Please PM myself or Josh on here if you would like to help and we will let you know when we are ready for whoever would like to help out.

Brandon

Sounds Great!!

BTW, is this area also including Dubuque, Iowa?
    Rick
    http:\\mononrr.com
    MONON-2

Hmmm...I have track laid on Hinckley Sub. Looks like I can lay off that project now. On the bright side, you probably won't overlap with any of my other six real-World projects, all in early stages.

It sounds like a pretty good project on the whole, if a little big. I might be of some assistance, too, since I am familiar with some of these lines

Yes it will eventually Rick but at the moment we have our hands full with what we have already. Let's just say it's going to be a lot of work putting all of the scenery and everything else in. It would be great to get as much help as we can get once scenery and interactive objects comes into play. As for my route I only have track work laid out so far and the whole route is DEMEX on both ends. I am going to need help with the Twin Cities area for laying yards and stuff like that. Josh may also need some help in the Chicago area.

Brandon
    Last edited by brandon261; 11-04-2018 at 02:01 PM.

I have started the ex CNW mainline from Fremont to East Clinton(Frog pond X over), and the Omaha cutoff Fremont to Missouri Valley.Just wanted to throw that out there before you choose to start in with Clinton West. Ive got several years in this route. Don't need two routes with same destination and area.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Thanks Todd for letting us know. At this point we have not even started the UP but still plan on adding it in eventually down the road. Our main goal at the moment is to get the BNSF and CP main lines done first then add in the UP ex CNW 400 route in after that to Chicago. I then plan on extending the routes I have started and get those done. After that would be down to Omaha so it would be awhile until we even got to that section if we did indeed decide to do it. For right now both Josh and I were just throwing that idea out there. We have a lot of work ahead of us but we are determined to make it happen.

Brandon

Here is a shot of what my section of the route looks like track wise.

Brandon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huh. You're only ~50 miles north of the Madison end of my CNW route... now you're make me rethink the Madison to Reedsburg & Wyeville... which would then connect to the old Omaha to Minneapolis...

My portion and the Madison to Wyeville wasn't on the Twin Cities 400's routing, but it was for the Dakota 400, which turned west at Wyeville and headed out to Winona, Rochester, and Mankato. At one point, the trains ran as far as Rapid City, SD, but that was pulled back to Huron, SD and then Mankato...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eolesen; 11-08-2018 at 12:47 AM.