Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSW: LIRR is now available for pre-order

Default TSW: LIRR is now available for pre-order

Dovetail's newest route for TSW appeared today on Steam. It certainly looks nice, hopefully, it'll run well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...e_Route_AddOn/

Looks interesting but I would want to see reports on the train physics accuracy before committing to a purchase. Also once again an ultra modern route. I've done a bit of reading (from 3000 miles away!) on LIRR history and there is a rich variety of traction and now closed branch lines to cover.
    Vern.

So there really is a placed called "Hicksville"?!
    I'll be damned!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    So there really is a placed called "Hicksville"?!
    I'll be damned!
    Yep, ranks right up there with Cockermouth and Giggleswick …

Cheers,

Dave

or Penistone...
    Vern.

Back on thread, I can see this being another copy and paste of various scenery buildings from the other New York City route, and charge everyone full price again, and as it is only urban passenger it might excite the locals, but, for the rest of us around the world I doubt it will appeal. I was looking forward to something American, Canadian even, with a bit more variety in, freight and passenger, something with a wow factor. This is yet more lost revenue due to lack of sales, this is the sort of route I would expect to see in a few year's time when the game has been established, at a time when they need to get the money in now they put out something like this that won't sell well, it's bizarre.......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Steve --

I agree.

Surely it can't be that difficult to do a North American freelance compact industrial high-intensity switching route?

Phil

Indeed, back on topic. My occasional research into LIRR revealed this gem of a branch line...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushwick_Branch

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bus...hwick_1928.jpg

Which in its heyday would have offered multiple freight switching opportunities both on the branch itself and making up consists to despatch further afield.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Back on thread, I can see this being another copy and paste of various scenery buildings from the other New York City route, and charge everyone full price again, and as it is only urban passenger it might excite the locals, but, for the rest of us around the world I doubt it will appeal.
    More to the point and this route's intended market, another non-diesel commuter route will hardly excite US train simmers. Just look at the vast bulk of the MSTS routes in the f/l here: mostly diesel (or, more rarely, steam) freight routes in the western portions of the country. Those routes not out west are also freight routes as well. The average American outside of the Northeast Corridor will never even see a passenger train, much less a commuter one. What they know is freight: diesels and stack trains. They don't have monikers like "BNSF Forever" for nothing.

I think it's pretty obvious that DTG is just cranking out that which they know will work: electric engines on commuter routes. Look at how long it's taking them to upgrade the diesel physics to the GWR and CSX Heavy Haul diesels after they did WSR! A year later and my GEVO's on Sandpatch still feel like they are running on ice skates on a frozen pond!!

I suppose you could say that after the Flight Sim World debacle they need cash flow as much as possible to keep the cash flow going, and so re-hashing what they've already done makes economic sense. But for me another electric commuter route just produces a "meh" ...

Regards,

David

I decided to pre-order it -- I figure that once the editor is out, most freeware routes will still require these first few routes for assets. Anyways, after spending a few Christmases in Flushing, Queens, I've taken a liking to the M7. However, I feel like they certainly missed a great opportunity to combine this with their original NEC route. While that certainly would have pushed back release, the corrections to Penn, East River tunnels, and Harold Interlocking would have really revitalized NEC: NY. It'll be strange rolling into Penn Station and not seeing any Amtrak equipment on the other tracks.