Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 3 bay hoppers

Default New 3 bay hoppers

LN PC Peabody and WM sets are coming.

PC and LN are done and being tested.

LNhoppers.jpg

BAR boxcars coming out this week as well. Yes, I know there is an error with the one doorstop. I am sorry I don't know how to correct that and I don't want to mess up the FA

As a kid growing up, I remember seeing the black L&N coal hoppers in most train set start packs that came with a handful of cars, one powered and one non powered locomotive, and maybe an oval or an 8 figure set. Neat to finally see these on a newer model. I always wanted to go through and redo all the MEC/B&M coal hoppers I'd often see, but I'm afraid they have pretty much become an item of the past, basically hauling scrap ties and that is about it.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Thanks, Shawn, I'm trying to make those items you see pictures of but never see in-game. Like you I remember seeing many C&O trains and most always had the odd LN or CCR hopper car tucked in. I don't know I love the odd looking cars the most cause they always stood out.

We did have a bunch of VTR "ballast" cars, that originally were ex B&M coal cars, they have all since been scrapped as of this year.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=4974451
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    We did have a bunch of VTR "ballast" cars, that originally were ex B&M coal cars, they have all since been scrapped as of this year.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=4974451

Those are really beat up, I can see why they did scrap them.

I started on the next car and after 5 tries I actually like what I have as a base. I made the logo for the car from studying some photographs of the cars and engines.

peabody.jpg

Getting that odd yellow is not easy blending it down was even worse. I am so thankful Greg was able to help get the color into range.

I grew up near Peabody's operations in southern Illinois (Baldwin-Lenzburg-Marissa area). Their cars (and buildings, draglines, shovels, haul trucks, etc.) were actually not yellow, but rather more of a cream color, as here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-SLIDE-...R/312299020770

In later years, they would do touch up painting and some of the locomotive repaints with yellow paint, as can be seen on the Baldwin coupled to the car in the photo in the link above.

I do have a good number of slides of Peabody locomotives and a few of the hoppers that I could scan (in about a week when I get back home from vacation) if you like.

Now, if only someone would do a model of those Darby built hoppers... :-)

Kevin

PSL marked cars (Peabody Short Line) were for use on their common carrier shortline that ran 18 miles from Freeburg IL to the TRRA interchange in E St Louis. Their only power was some RS-2s. PSL was taken over by the IC in the early to mid 1960s.

PCCX marked cars (Peabody Coal Company) were captive service cars, used on Peabody properties only, usually running from mine to barge transload somewhere. Much like the Yankeetown Dock or that isolated shortline in Greene County PA that runs with the SD38-2. Whatever custom dumping equipment existed at these sites also explains the longitudinal chutes at the bottom of PCCX cars.

Peabody kept their cars captive because, like all sketchy coal operators out there looking to save money at the expense of people, they avoided the type of FRA inspection compliance required of cars that wandered off their property.

PSL was gone long before these 3-bay Bethlehem models became common.

Make any Peabody cars if you want for the V-scale 'layout artists', but not many non-fictional uses for them here in sim land.

PSL operations were taken over by IC in 1960 and formally merged on August 1, 1961.

Peabody was not the only operator of the Darby cars with longitudinal gates, Missouri Public Service Company (MPSX) also had them. The MPSX cars were mixed indiscriminately with Ortner RD's and Bethlehem 4 bay hoppers in regular service between the southern Illinois mines and the Labadie, MO plant.

There were no specialized dumping facilities dictating the need for longitudinal gates at either the Labadie plant (MPSX) or Illinois Power's Baldwin Plant (Peabody), which also received coal during that time in Illinois Power owned Ortner 4 bay RD cars.

Most likely, Darby's design was simply the best deal for the money at the time Peabody was in the market to buy new cars. There may have been other operators of this car design, but these are the only two I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Peabody kept their cars captive because, like all sketchy coal operators out there looking to save money at the expense of people, they avoided the type of FRA inspection compliance required of cars that wandered off their property.
    So you have spent a great deal of time around Peabody properties, or any coal company's properties for that matter?

-Son of a retired Consolidation Coal miner, son-in-law of a retired Peabody Coal miner, nephew of a retired Peabody Coal miner, nephew of a retired Consolidation Coal miner.

Hi MMC,

Thank you for the information I tried to make the cream yellow but it just looked really washed out on the cars. I knew PSL had 2 bays 3 bays and 4 bay hopper cars I never knew what the other cars were till you mentioned them. Thank you for that information. I did find that a few of the PSL cars were put into regular service or so the article claims.
    Can you tell me if that information is correct?

Also to back up what you said PSL was very tight with money everything they had for motive power was first gen Baldwin Alcos and EMD.

Also, I found this interesting picture. It looks like a 2 bay was upgraded to a 3 bay or had some major repair work done to it.

PCCX 4008.jpg

As for the Bethlehem Steel cars.

From the L&N records,
    182125-182499 80 ton Bethlehem built 1970
    182599-182999 80 ton Bethlehem built 1969

Those cars built by them and ONLY them were marked as such with the Bethlehem steel logo the 3 star Bethlehem steel logo and was stenciled with

Built by Bethlehem Steel Johnston plant

Since Information is missing on the PSL and images are even rare. I would not be surprised if PSL had some of the 80-ton cars in the inventory.

Also other companies like Pullman Standard were manufacturing these cars as well.

Food for thought.

PS. Any images you have that I could use would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 11-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Ms. Sheare, The Peabody car remains of the song by John Prine "Paradise."

Quote,

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
    Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
    Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
    Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Speaking of hoppers. Is there any chance for a 34 foot open and covered type hopper converted to roller bearing trucks?

Robert