Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any good BR green diesels out there?

Default any good BR green diesels out there?

(feel free to move this if i just posted in the wrong sub-forum.)

I know I probably should be posting this over on UKTrainSim but it seems that their forum is a bit of a ghost town right now.

So i ask of any British members that might be on his Forum.

Are there any good quality freeware BR green diesels on UKTrainSim or some other site i might have missed?

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

All you have to do is look at the download library there,download what you like and see what you think of it.You should also look at the CD ordering section.There are several excellent loco packs which are very reasonably priced.

Is it safe to buy from that site?

My system's been telling me that the sites connection is not secure.

Quote Originally Posted by stlsf4003 View Post
    Is it safe to buy from that site?

My system's been telling me that the sites connection is not secure.
    That's because the first part of the url is http:// and not https:// like that of trainsim.com
    Over the years, I've purchased many CDs/DVDs and subscriptions from UKTS and never had any problem.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by stlsf4003 View Post

I know I probably should be posting this over on UKTrainSim but it seems that their forum is a bit of a ghost town right now.
    Sadly the reason so many of my fellow Brits are here, or on ET, now is that the original mainly UK content of RS lead to a mass migration of UK train simmers to that newer platform.

That being a mainly payware platform they invested into each new version through RW and all the versions of TS20XX. This took many of the freeware creators for MSTS with it. The new Sims bought new forum members and (IMO feel free to disagree) they bought a rather sour attitude to the UK forums. Used to payware there seemed little tolerance towards anything they considered "below par". It seemed to me that they missed the spirit and thinking behind freeware and any respect or reasonable attitude towards creators of freeware

They were also very vociferous in shouting down any criticism of the newer Sims and attacked folk, who new better than them, who'd been involved with Train Simming for a decade before they even discovered it .

You only have to search the newest files (having set the filter to MSTS) to see the few who are still producing MSTS stuff.

So i ask of any British members that might be on his Forum.
    Are there any good quality freeware BR green diesels on UKTrainSim or some other site i might have missed?
    With nearly a decade of freeware development most of the British Diesels were modelled by the time that RS arrived on the scene. That as you know is a fair while ago now and little newer MSTS stuff has been produced. You only have to look at how much improved hardware is now than when RS was released. This has meant that North American content has improved for MSTS and OR since then but little has been updated for the UK stock.

My advice would be to get hold of Mid East Plus DVD. This has a massive stock pack of UK diesels. Set in the BR Blue era it none the less has a fair number of BR green loco's in that stock pack. Each CD/DVD comes with a months premium membership of UKTS so that should give you ample time to download other stuff of interest.

Mid East Plus was over six years in the making. Mick Clarke, who created it, also tweaked all the physics on the extensive stock pack to get as realistic a performance as possible. I assembled most of the pack and sought permissions from the original creators to have them included on the disc. The models had VERY differing physics and colour balances so I worked on tweaking the skins to make stuff match and Mick's physics should provide examples of the best for most classes.

There were many plans to develop "Transition era" British routes and stock but sadly most involved moved on to RS/RW/TS20XX

Be warned that many British traction physics worked well through trial and error in MSTS but many do NOT work well in Open Rails.

Hope that is helpful.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I might just have to give that Mid east plus a try. though i did have an issue with installing the freeware version of the route, Mideast2 Steam Era. The error message reading as such. "You must enter a full path with drive letter; for example: C:\AAP or a UNC path in the form: \\server\share" So until i can work this issue out, i'll hold off on trying to buy the CD.

As for traction physics issues. Almost all the engines I've download so far have had no issue, save for those by a member by the name of "davidaward"

Hi stisf4003,
    I have already replied to your post on UKTS regarding Mid East v2. There is nothing to "work out"! The reason you get that message is because you don't have MSTS installed, or it's not installed correctly.

Similarly, you will NOT be able to install the Mid East Plus miniroute as it uses many default MSTS files.

Cheers,
    Ged

I'm afraid Ged has flawed my recommendation ....but

If you're really interested in Train Simming you will, with a bit of digging around, find that copies of MSTS are still available. If you're interested in UK stuff there is a wealth of content available that was designed for MSTS and for that reason alone it's worth buying a copy. Don't listen to all the other Sim Fan Boys who rubbish this advice. Remember you can install as many Sims on your hardware as you like ....and equally they can decide NOT to install stuff. That doesn't make them right and you wrong .

I chose to uninstall RW. That was a personal preference and in no small part due to how much I'd spent on Flight Sim add-ons. RW/TS20XX has a huge following so obviously it ticks many boxes for many folk? Most simmers only have so much money and/or time to devote to the hobby and you have to ask why the original has supported an entire branch of the hobby for 17 years? To most that's obvious?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    I'm afraid Ged has flawed my recommendation ....but

If you're really interested in Train Simming you will, with a bit of digging around, find that copies of MSTS are still available. If you're interested in UK stuff there is a wealth of content available that was designed for MSTS and for that reason alone it's worth buying a copy. Don't listen to all the other Sim Fan Boys who rubbish this advice. Remember you can install as many Sims on your hardware as you like ....and equally they can decide NOT to install stuff. That doesn't make them right and you wrong .

I chose to uninstall RW. That was a personal preference and in no small part due to how much I'd spent on Flight Sim add-ons. RW/TS20XX has a huge following so obviously it ticks many boxes for many folk? Most simmers only have so much money and/or time to devote to the hobby and you have to ask why the original has supported an entire branch of the hobby for 17 years? To most that's obvious?
    The issue here is that i'ev heard horror story's of what it's like to try and get MSTS working on a modern operating system and since OR is backwards compatible with MSTS content (Not to sure about the REALLY old assets though) I've mostly been using a few of the files that i managed to pick up along the way to get current loco's and routes working right.

But i guess if i can track down a somewhat usable and cheap copy of MSTS I might as well give it a swing.

Hi stisf4003,
    I can assure you that MSTS can be installed, and run, in Windows 7, 8/8.1 and 10 without any problem. The only condition being that you follow the complete Steam4Me tutorial, word for word (although you can change the actual MSTS folder name, and its partition/disk letter, if you wish!). The only important point missing is that you must set train.exe (and launcher.exe) to run as administrator, using their respective Properties > Compatibility screens.

http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html Although entitled "Win 7", it's equally applicable to 8/8.1 and 10.

Cheers,
    Ged