Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: BR BRCW Type 3

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    They are a joke as far as i am concerned Bruce, they do not preserve anything.........

    Is that logical enough for you Cpt Kirk.
    Not really, no. I can't fathom the logic in that at all!

    In effect, what you are saying is that railway preservation is unwarranted because they are run by hobbyists and therefore are not "real" operations.
    So rather than preserve, in operational condition, our railway heritage, it should be allowed to just rust and rot away because it is no longer used in the way for which it was originally manufactured.

    Hmmmm. That's an interesting way of looking at it.
    Do you feel the same about other historical items which are no longer used in "real" situations.....aircraft, for example? Or cars?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CYMRU AM BYTH
    Posts
    1,268

    Default

    Stick it in a museum, that's fine by me Bruce.

    All these pretend railways are a joke.

    I certainly do not have any respect for anyone involved in them.

    Anyone want's to be a railwayman, do it for real.

    The same as i and thousands like me have.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ...Anyone want's to be a railwayman, do it for real.

    The same as i and thousands like me have.
    Oh, my word, yes! I can see your point, Mike!
    Enough of this pretending to be operating trains on a computer......we should get out there and do it for real.

    The same goes for flight sims and racing sims.......and as for FPS games, enough of fart-arsing around with pixelated guns - get out there and fire a real gun. No more pretending!
    (Ooops...I forgot. Some are actually doing that.)

    Sorry, Mike, but I don't subscribe to your magazine, mate.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    4,392

    Default

    Preserved railways have their place, it's not just the route and traction but the rolling stock as well - the only place you can experience a Mark One coach in genuine 1950's state of décor and with original B1 bogies is on a preserved line. However I do remember reading an article years ago in a model railway magazine as to why preserved railways are rarely modelled as such. The consensus was, the concept is quite brilliant but also quite mad, with a pot-pourri of locomotives and rolling stock from disparate times and regions all bundled together running up and down to an artificial timetable, nothing like the original prototype would have seen. The artificial 25 MPH speed limit also means trains trundling along with little or no thrash, unless the driver is particularly attuned but then you get a series of artificial slow downs or near stops so they can throttle up again.

    The times I've visited a preserved railway I've quite enjoyed the experience and a few of the people I worked with on the real railway also volunteered on a heritage line. However they did occasionally regale me at times with tales of other volunteers not from a railway background who, in line with what Mike said, like to strut around as if they are the sky fairy's gift to the railway universe.
    Vern.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .......other volunteers not from a railway background who, in line with what Mike said, like to strut around as if they are the sky fairy's gift to the railway universe.
    In some cases, Vern, they may well be God's gift to that part of the railway universe to which they belong....such as:-

    Skilled boilermakers, metal fabricators and welders.
    Cabinet makers and carpenters.
    Electricians, particularly those with a grounding in annunciator and signalling circuitry.

    I have belonged to two preservation railways....the Lithgow Zig-Zag and the ARHS Canberra branch.
    In both cases neither of those businesses would have managed their restoration projects (locos, rolling stock and infrastructure) without the skills of tradesmen and artisans who had no employment history whatsoever with a railway operation, either when they were State-run or following privatisation.

    Their skills were invaluable and they had every reason to be proud of what they had helped preserve.

    They didn't shrug their shoulders and walk away, like some ex-railway employees.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CYMRU AM BYTH
    Posts
    1,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Oh, my word, yes! I can see your point, Mike!
    Enough of this pretending to be operating trains on a computer......we should get out there and do it for real.

    The same goes for flight sims and racing sims.......and as for FPS games, enough of fart-arsing around with pixelated guns - get out there and fire a real gun. No more pretending!
    (Ooops...I forgot. Some are actually doing that.)

    Sorry, Mike, but I don't subscribe to your magazine, mate.
    Cool Bruce, it's just how i feel my opinion buddy. Don't expect or want anyone to agree with my views.

    Incidently i am allowed to play trains on the pc. I did the job for real for 30 years, Bruce.

    Vern, i experienced original MK1's in the 1950's buddy. Proper WR SK's with 8x seats to a compartment.

    The other regions SK's were usually only 6x seats to a compartment.

    Preserved railways usually balls up the crimson & cream livery, by adding the BR coaching crest to the coach sides.

    Never happened and the crest was only introduced with the maroon livery in 1956.

    DTG make the same mistake in a couple of their steam era routes.

    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    So. Chicago Heights, Il., USA.
    Posts
    819

    Default

    This is one of the best railway museums in the USA. Glad I live about 50 miles away.
    https://www.irm.org/
    Interested in all Train-Sims

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dejoh View Post
    This is one of the best railway museums in the USA. Glad I live about 50 miles away.
    https://www.irm.org/
    Wow! There are some locos there which I have always admired (from afar )........the PRR GG-1, for example.
    And the N&W Y3A is another.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

  9. #39

    Default

    Wow look at that Shay, now that is an interesting steam engine.
    Pity the ones we had in NSW are all gone i think.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theswitcher View Post
    Wow look at that Shay, now that is an interesting steam engine.
    Pity the ones we had in NSW are all gone i think.
    They have.
    And no Heisler's left, either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •