Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK DMU - Getting Moving?

Default UK DMU - Getting Moving?

Attempted to try one of the Mid East Plus DMU activities in OR. Engaged Forward (W), Hit "E" to select first gear, released brakes and applied power - nothing happened. Is there a trick I'm missing here?
    Vern.

Don't quote me on this Vern.

But i believe there is a problem with modernisation DMU's running in OR.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

The Mideast DMUs are set up specifically for MSTS with strange rpm settings etc. This means unfortunately that all of the player eng files need to be edited.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

OR still seems to have issues with quite a few aspects of UK assets and rolling stock - not expressing that in a negative sense, but it does kind of take the edge off. I also had issues with the MEP Class 45 Peak which took ages to release the brakes on starting off, then after a running application got stuck with around 15 PSI in the brake cylinders which I couldn't get rid of. Yet the ELR Class 37 performs impeccably!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    The Mideast DMUs are set up specifically for MSTS with strange rpm settings etc. This means unfortunately that all of the player eng files need to be edited.
    Appreciate the information but it does create a chicken and egg situation with the user in the middle. Should OR be adaptive enough to interpret this data or is it the fault of the MEP production team for going off standard? Either way it makes OR less than plug and play friendly as an alternative to MSTS, or just moving on into the newer sims. I don't mind a bit of file jiggery pokey but shouldn't have to spend hours hacking around just to run a 30 min activity!
    Vern.

There is a lot right with OR, but not everything works as it should.

I tend not to slag it off though, as it is all provided free.

Unlike the commercial offerings. Which are fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Appreciate the information but it does create a chicken and egg situation with the user in the middle. Should OR be adaptive enough to interpret this data or is it the fault of the MEP production team for going off standard? Either way it makes OR less than plug and play friendly as an alternative to MSTS, or just moving on into the newer sims. I don't mind a bit of file jiggery pokey but shouldn't have to spend hours hacking around just to run a 30 min activity!

I don't think that OR should be fudged to adapt to strange MSTS physics, there are lots of oddball methods used to get things "real" in MSTS. OR is more of a true rail physics simulator with things being coded to work as per its real world counterpart.

For its part, the MEP team were working on those physics sets long before OR became a viable alternative to MSTS. Most MSTS stock items do not use oddball physics and can be run PnP in OR, it is only where you find these locomotives and DMUs that deviate from the MSTS standard that you run into trouble.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    There is a lot right with OR, but not everything works as it should.

I tend not to slag it off though, as it is all provided free.

Unlike the commercial offerings. Which are fair game.
    Yes indeed Mike! When it runs well, far superior to trying to get things going in MSTS. Particularly far more tolerant of missing files where MSTS chucks its teddy out the pram, OR keeps calm and carries on!
    Vern.

I don't think i have run MSTS at all in 10 years Vern.

Always run anything in OR. The DMU problem doesn't tend to bother me.

As i do a lot of Autopilot running in OR. Same reason i stick with Trainz, is because of the ability to watch or ride the trains.

Shame the same function does not exist TS2019.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Attempted to try one of the Mid East Plus DMU activities in OR. Engaged Forward (W), Hit "E" to select first gear, released brakes and applied power - nothing happened. Is there a trick I'm missing here?
    Hi Vern,

Mick Clarke tweaked ALL the physics for the MEP stock pack. This started when a donated EB class 101 DMU set was found to have physics somewhere between a TGV and a Boeing 737 ....easily outstripping the HST models. Looking at this we received advice from a real HST driver about HST acceleration times out of KX. We also noted that the pack I assembled from stock available in the UKTS library had very different physics included by different reskinners/uploaders.

I spent a small fortune on reference books on UK stock from the BR Blue era and that gave some basis for comparing class with class.

Mick read a lot on MSTS physics. Lets just say his opinion on all the "best" theory was that it was at best ...just theory. He set about working through all the physics files until he'd tweaked them (call it bodged if you will) into something that performed pretty realistically, and more importantly comparatively, for each class. The DMU's had quite a few tweaks and the final version works pretty realistically in MSTS.

Until someone works on the physics for UK stock for Open Rails there is a lot that doesn't work in MEP in that Sim.

It's not an issue of which Sim is better.

It's merely a question of how well the physics and complex activities in MEP work (don't work) in OR.

Personally I've adopted the Widescreen MSTS patch for MEP and run that route in MSTS. I'm more than happy to run Nth American stuff in OR as a first choice but the OR fan boys need to acknowledge that there is still much work to be done in OR before many aspects of the UK scene work as well.

Given that many have issues with physics on North American Stock anyway I'd have to say that when someone has put the effort in that Mick did on the physics of a vast dedicated stock pack for MEP I think you'd be nuts to write that off because you no longer want to run MSTS. But ...HEY ....it's a (an allegedly) free world!

Oh and a post script. The decision was made in MEP to make all stock Air Braked and Auto Coupling. This is because the routes era from (roughly) 1968 to 1988 saw a lot of changes in UK rolling stock. MSTS cannot simulate mixed brake types and yet in the real world systems were use that enabled mixed brake consists. Coupling is not simulated in MSTS so again uniformity made for use of stock from early and late ends of the era in the same consist. This did happen in reality. The above also meant that all stock worked together in the stock pack.

Folk seem to forget when they're being "purists" in the Sim that in the REAL world things change, get modified, updated constantly. The changes over a twenty year period cannot be "simulated" so a standardisation of things that would have changed covers that inability.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK