Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BHP accident

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    ...this is going to cost more than the wages for a secondman for several years.
    Aaah, yes.....but remember - the cargo consignment was undamaged and is fully recoverable!!

That alone will help offset the cost of repairs to/replacement of 260+ wagons and several locomotives.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

What is the cost of recovering the cargo,mixed up as it is with the wreckage of 268 cars,spread all over the map ! Plus cutting up the locos and cars and removing the scrap.Plus the penalty payment for missing the boat...literally.Oh and plus the track repair cost.

What is the cost of recovering the cargo,mixed up as it is with the wreckage of 268 cars,spread all over the map ! Plus cutting up the locos and cars and removing the scrap.Plus the penalty payment for missing the boat...literally.Oh and plus the track repair cost.
    Who cares? BHP-Billiton can afford it.
    So the shareholders get a smaller dividend next June.....so what? A minor hiccup....they'll just have to buy a 60-foot yacht instead of the 75-footer they were thinking of getting.
    And let's not forget the insurance payout.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

$300 million give or take. Petty change for BHP.

As Bruce said, in BHP land - who cares?

No insurance involved Bruce, they simply wear the cost.

No loss of revenue either, they have stockpiles to last them weeks without a train. An accident like this is well planned for.

What about the driver? Will he get fired and sued with careless neglect??

Why, it was deemed brake failure!!
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    No insurance involved Bruce, they simply wear the cost.
    Aaaah. Okay - thanks for the clarification on that.
    I s'pose any insurance premium would be as expensive as the cost of replacement, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    What about the driver? Will he get fired and sued with careless neglect??
    I should hope not....the incident was attributed to mechanical failure, not pilot error.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Aaaah. Okay - thanks for the clarification on that.
    I s'pose any insurance premium would be as expensive as the cost of replacement, anyway!
    Yep.

They deal with this kind of thing every time a cyclone comes through the area. They're used to it.