Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BHP accident

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    ....268 car train, each car loaded with like 100 tons of ore, that's a mess!
    No, that's a natural resource.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

haha a $300 million natural resource.

BHP have become so big that they shrug something like this off as a glitch...or cyclone practise.

Apparently NSW are looking for train drivers. :P

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I expect that the cars have a generator and batteries on board.I can see the need for a speed of light brake application throughout the train composed of 268 cars otherwise serious forces could be generated when applying and releasing the brakes.It appears they have not thought this through properly though.It is typical of penny pinching by RR operators,how much would employing another driver cost throughout the fleet compared with the cost of this one incident?

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    I expect that the cars have a generator and batteries on board.I can see the need for a speed of light brake application throughout the train composed of 268 cars otherwise serious forces could be generated when applying and releasing the brakes.It appears they have not thought this through properly though.It is typical of penny pinching by RR operators,how much would employing another driver cost throughout the fleet compared with the cost of this one incident?
    Shoot a few hundred km down the coast and you will find Rio Tinto running bigger trains than this one completely driverless.

They are controlled from Perth airport 1500km away.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    Shoot a few hundred km down the coast and you will find Rio Tinto running bigger trains than this one completely driverless.

They are controlled from Perth airport 1500km away.
    Fine until something goes wrong which needs human intervention.This is a good link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...eumatic_brakes

Fine until something goes wrong which needs human intervention.....
    Not under the circumstances applying to the iron-ore operations in Western Australia.
    They are in arid and remote locations; public access is prohibited across the majority of the routes and remote communications, monitoring & surveillance is the norm (radio & GPS).

If a train can run away for 90+ kilometres without endangering anyone and the damage was confined to the train and infrastructure then there's your risk management in a nutshell.

Note that the safety bulletin issued by the authority made no mention of having a second person in the cab, thereby effectively endorsing the fact that not only does single-man operation continue to be perfectly acceptable, but so does the driverless system used by Rio Tinto.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

What this accident highlights is the alerter system needs looking at.

The locos were placed into neutral which deactivates the system. If it had worked as intended the train simply would have come to a stop on it's own accord. As Bruce highlighted, there is nothing out there to hit. Although you can get onto their access roads if you ask permission.

Fine until something goes wrong which needs human intervention.This is a good link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...eumatic_brakes
    BHP don't run this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    BHP don't run this system.
    What do they run then ? In reply to a previous post,I was not referring to only loss of life,although they may be big,this is going to cost more than the wages for a secondman for several years.

What does the other poster mean by "the locos were placed in neutral" ? Certainly in this country,if the driver has to leave the cab,the reverser must be placed in engine only and the train brake fully applied.If I felt there could be a security issue,I might even take the key with me !

.....Certainly in this country,if the driver has to leave the cab,the reverser must be placed in engine only and the train brake fully applied.If I felt there could be a security issue,I might even take the key with me !
    It's most likely a different set of circumstances by which the iron-ore companies operate their railway systems.
    These are unusual railway systems, even for Australia.