Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cajon Pass Routes?

  1. #1

    Question Cajon Pass Routes?

    Hello,

    Looking to revisit MSTS (read: got a new computer and will re-install MSTS after MANY years of not playing) so forgive the stupid questions. Appreciate the help tho:

    1. Is there a "OEM" (i.e. Microsoft or Kuju) route for Cajon Pass???

    2. If yes, where are freeware Activities for such? If no, where are good freeware routes and activities that are easy to use?

    I've tried Advance Search, and perhaps I'm not good at this yet, but it seems darn difficult to find a simple route and activites for Cajon Pass. Seems like anything you find says "...requires XYZ1, XYZ2 from John Smith...", or "...for the 1.2 version of the route by Takahashi Yamamoto..." or so forth, and when you go look up those add-ons by John Smith or the route made by TY, you find MORE cryptic snipe hunting instructions embedded in THAT product's description, such as "...need two payware and seventeen freeware products from the Hungarian trainsters..."

    Dang it, Community, this is hella worse than MSFS or Falcon BMS.... Tedious, disjointed, sub-cultures of routes-by-so and so-only-work-with-activities-from-such and such...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pacific Time
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kukailimoku View Post
    Hello,

    Looking to revisit MSTS (read: got a new computer and will re-install MSTS after MANY years of not playing) so forgive the stupid questions. Appreciate the help tho:

    1. Is there a "OEM" (i.e. Microsoft or Kuju) route for Cajon Pass???

    2. If yes, where are freeware Activities for such? If no, where are good freeware routes and activities that are easy to use?

    I've tried Advance Search, and perhaps I'm not good at this yet, but it seems darn difficult to find a simple route and activites for Cajon Pass. Seems like anything you find says "...requires XYZ1, XYZ2 from John Smith...", or "...for the 1.2 version of the route by Takahashi Yamamoto..." or so forth, and when you go look up those add-ons by John Smith or the route made by TY, you find MORE cryptic snipe hunting instructions embedded in THAT product's description, such as "...need two payware and seventeen freeware products from the Hungarian trainsters..."

    Dang it, Community, this is hella worse than MSFS or Falcon BMS.... Tedious, disjointed, sub-cultures of routes-by-so and so-only-work-with-activities-from-such and such...
    This is a community of fans, not a commercial establishment. As with Open Source, you need to understand dependencies; there aren't many tools to do that for you other than reading the Readme files and following instructions. In the case of very old routes and activities, some of what's needed may no longer be available and you will have to make substitutions either by hand or using one of the consist editor tools available.

    Consider using a standard internet search tool as well as the search feature here.

    MSTS requires special treatment when installing in modern operating systems. See the thread: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-or-64-bits-OS. See also http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html which is probably the most comprehensive guide to installing and tweaking MSTS. Understand that it's very old, officially incompatible software for any version of Windows after XP, and will require a certain amount of "hacking" to work right (or even work at all).

    Microsoft never offered added routes beyond the default ones that came with the simulator.

    3dtrainstuff still has a commercial Cajon Pass add-on. Dated-looking and simplified, but it works well and there are several tweaks available including a scenery upgrade from 3dtrains. A number of activities in the file library here are built for this route. This route will cost a few dollars (not many, unless you buy all of its expansion packs), and is probably the closest thing to an "OEM" route.

    Otherwise, it pays to read the forums a bit and the readmes. Cajon Pass freeware addresses different eras, like a model railroad. For Cajon, basically, there's the Patrick Wise route (pre- or early-Metrolink, ATSF-era, much single track, only 2 over the summit, no Redondo Flyover, and most important only the ATSF route works; the SP route is mainly for show), which requires several updates that are noted in the search listing, and the Cajon Pass 4 route (Metrolink/BNSF era, 3 tracks over the pass on BNSF, SP/UP route fully working and, in the final version, extends from Colton to Mojave). Take your choice, and read the search listings carefully to make sure you get the final version and any updates of whichever you choose.

    Again, this is a hobby for everybody, not a commercial operation where updates and upgrades are automatic. And if it's the first time back to MSTS for you since you ran Windows XP, you will need to follow the special instructions at steam4me to get it right. Also, be sure to install the MS updates to MSTS before you run it the first time (updates also at steam4me) so you don't have to insert the CD in order to run the game.

    Then, Open Rails is a pretty solid alternative to MSTS now, and recommended (by me). But you will need to install MSTS anyway even if you don't use it in order to use many if not most of the add-on routes - default scenery and other items are needed.

    If it's all too much for you, you might want to try one of the more modern commercial train simulators. Practically all of them include Cajon Pass or have it available as an add-on. Bring money.

    Edit: one reason it's worse than Flight Sim is that the design of the software is different. Instead of having the entire world, MSTS only has routes that are built in detail to run on. That was supposed to be addressed in MSTS 2.0 but MS never completed and offered that. So, in essence, you can only "fly" where there's detailed scenery and the world ends at the scenery area boundary. That was MS' choice, not ours.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 11-21-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: comparison to MSFS.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    This is a community of fans, not a commercial establishment.
    Check.


    Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    MSTS requires special treatment when installing in modern operating systems. See the thread: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-or-64-bits-OS. See also http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html which is probably the most comprehensive guide to installing and tweaking MSTS. Understand that it's very old, officially incompatible software for any version of Windows after XP, and will require a certain amount of "hacking" to work right (or even work at all).
    Thanks!



    Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    ...if it's the first time back to MSTS for you since you ran Windows XP,
    yup
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    ...you will need to follow the special instructions at steam4me to get it right.
    Thanks!



    Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    If it's all too much for you, you might want to try one of the more modern commercial train simulators...Bring money.
    Blunt, to the point, true, and LOL




    Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    ...it's worse than Flight Sim
    yup

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •