Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new UK route announced, BR Blue 1980s Manchester - Leeds.

Default new UK route announced, BR Blue 1980s Manchester - Leeds.

For those of us who enjoyed BR Blue in its heyday, TSW will represent it with a new route from Manchester Victoria to Leeds City, with locomotives in the famous BR Blue livery and a Diesel Multiple Unit thrown in for nostalgia, read all about it here.

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/...26tFoOyQNI64m8

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

I beg to differ over heyday Steve, deffo wasn't the 1980's.

Pleased to see this never the less. Only downside for me is the length, only 43 miles.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

At least there will be a chance to thrash the motive power unlike on WSR. The MetCam DMU will be very welcome assuming they haven't copied over the Railworks physics. Hopefully the 45 and 47 will have decent sound and not utilise the same audio as there were subtle differences. Actually the Class 101 is a slightly odd choice as you were more likely to see the Class 110 and Class 124 working across the route but again, if they capture that distinctive AEC engine whine I will probably part with my cash for this one.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    I beg to differ over heyday Steve, deffo wasn't the 1980's.
    Pleased to see this never the less. Only downside for me is the length, only 43 miles.
    Mike.
    Hmmm, well, 1960s/70s and 80s then, Mike.......

And they can't really stretch the route out any longer as it is only about 43 miles in real life......

I can't see them doing the Class 124s Vern, as the 6 car DMUs were all withdrawn by 1984, so, no point in creating them for this 1983 route, really.

I shudder to think what cock-ups they'll do with this route build, in their advertising blurb, they call it Northern Trans-Pennine, although they are both separate Railway companies (Northern & Transpennine) and weren't created until after BR was Privatised in the mid-90s. Their research is just bloody dreadful, even their screenshot of 47584 is totally wrong, in 1983 she had a black headcode panel with domino dots, and was adorned with a Silver Roof and named County of Suffolk, since 1980, does DTG do this on purpose to get our backs up?????

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 12-03-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Well I guess we should be thankful it is set in '83 not '93 when all we would have got is a 158!
    Vern.

Manchester - Leeds - York, Steve.

I know next to nothing about the route buddy.

My philosophy has always been. If it is not GWR, BR-WR it's not worth knowing about.

Can never have too many 158's in the train games, Vern. LOL

At least it would have been Regional Railways in 1993.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Strange though it may seem, one route I've never actually travelled across, even back in my bashing days. From what I've heard, it's a complete nightmare these days as even off peak, the Class 185's are rarely not full and standing.
    Vern.

I used to love going to Manchester Vic on Summer Saturdays, Vern, the holiday trains to/from Llandudno, Holyhead, and Blackpool, ADEXs to Liverpool Lime Street to and from Cleethorpes, Scarborough, York and Newcastle, it was a veritable feast of Class 40s to look forward to, it was absolute heaven.
    In the early 1980s their was a train called 'The European' which in essence was the Harwich Boat Train and it was re-routed to run via Peterborough, Nottingham, Sheffield, New Mills and the Hope Valley Line, Manchester Victoria, Preston and then electric traction up to Glasgow and Edinburgh, splitting at Carstairs, you were guaranteed a Stratford silver roofed Class 47 with 12 on for the journey, it was brilliant, plus you had all the local DMU services between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and Sheffield, it was fantastic in its day.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 12-04-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: re-edit

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Strange though it may seem, one route I've never actually travelled across, even back in my bashing days...................
    Vern, I've been meaning to ask - how is retirement going? Enjoying it?
    Have you settled into a routine or still finding your feet, so-to-speak?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Enjoying it very much Bruce, just over a month in now. Finding plenty to do each day and that's without any decorating or other activities. Weather wise it probably wasn't the best time of year as we roll into our damp and cool UK winter and a few tax issues to resolve that might have been avoided if I'd gone at the start (or end) of the financial year. What I am finding is that all the little things we used to rush through have expanded to be done at leisure, also trying to get at least two walks (or exercise bike) a day to keep active.

No regrets, though I do miss the people and the atmosphere/banter that I used to enjoy at work. However I definitely don't miss working nights or the occasional 12 hour shifts that peppered our roster.
    Vern.