Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new UK route announced, BR Blue 1980s Manchester - Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Well I know I'm jumping right in, reviews or no reviews, because - OMG!! - this route features collectible Overgrown Trees!! I've been waiting my whole freakin' train sim life for a route where I can collect overgrown trees! Who cares about physics?! This route has got trees you can collect!!
    LOL!! Nice one, David.

Bear in mind, folks, that from an operational aspect, this is all you get...........

Five detailed and engaging scenarios for the route.
    Last edited by seagoon; 12-07-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The lack of free roam or quick drive scenarios is disconcerting after 4 years of developing TSW.
    Pumping out DLC that is just more of the same, run a few times there and back and forget, isn't helping the franchise I am afraid.

Steam Charts aren't really improving, a small blip after the release of a new DLC, then the numbers quickly ebb off.
    Don't know about console sales and player satisfaction figures, hope for DTG's sake they aren't as low/bad as the PC figures.

DTG claims with the coming TSW editor you can start creating your own scenarios, etc.
    But wether that is an easy job, "click a loco, click a carriage and put them on the rails to create your consist, select a driver, select a destination and you're set to go" remains to be seen.

DTG now also has to cater to the console players, who have to do everything using their gamepads.
    Last edited by Edwin; 12-07-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Definately not, Mike, however, if I was a major shareholder I would be able to revolt against the Senior Management, wouldn't that be fun......

Yes, these swooning trainspotters are annoying, they think they know everything. Now, where did I put my track diagram books, Diesel DVDs, WTTs and Platform 5 trainspotting books from the 1980s........

Cheerz. Steve.
    You are a sad man Steve, hahahahahahahaha.

I don't own anything like that buddy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    LOL!! Nice one, David.
    Bear in mind, folks, that from an operational aspect, this is all you get...........
    Five detailed and engaging scenarios for the route.
    Whilst that is very true, oh great Master, all the others only have 5, or, 6 scenarios, as well.........

It's the services that offer us the most timetabled runs in a 24 hour period.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Yes Timetable Mode will be the bread and butter though it would be nice to have a "Departure Board" feature at stations so when you finish a run you can see when and at which platform the next driveable movement will arrive/spawn (looking at you Reading!).
    Vern.

There are these timetables mounted on top of those light blue cones, is this what you are looking for?

They are not always in the most logical places, but show on the "9" map as little book symbols.

About any runs that aren't pre-programmed: DTG said they are working on this, but no ETA given of course.
    They say they are working on lots of things without ETA or priority list, nor is there a public bug tracker.

They even have no time/money/resources to produce basic manuals for their DLC, apparently all efforts are focused on the editor.
    Physics updates for the American locomotives are in the pipeline.

Generating cash flow is more important than fixing game engine issues and long standing bugs.

With DTG & N3V you pay your money and get, promises, more promises and let downs.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Yes Timetable Mode will be the bread and butter though it would be nice to have a "Departure Board" feature at stations so when you finish a run you can see when and at which platform the next driveable movement will arrive/spawn (looking at you Reading!).
    My thoughts last night, (I've been running trains in TSW to brush up on things in case I get the new route), when I ran a freight from Reading to Acton Yard and walked over to Acton Main Line station to catch a passenger into Paddington and stood on the platform for the better part of an hour with a crowd of disgruntled looking prospective passengers watching a parade of expresses pass by one after the other. I will have to look for the timetables Edwin mentioned, I haven't run TSW since a week or so after the Paddington route was released.

The downside of the service mode of course is that it is just another pre-scripted scenario by another name and doesn't take into account all the little random differences that occur from day to day on the real railway.

At the time TSW is set, Acton would probably have been served by the Paddington to Hayes 387 shuttles, as the Greenford car was (is) cut back to a shuttle operating to/from West Ealing. And as we know, DTG didn't include 387's or for that matter the HEX or Connect services with the route so it seems likely there is no service at Acton.

Recalling my time in the Control that did happen quite frequently for real during service disruption and reduced capacity, the stopping service was reduced or ran fast to provide paths for Class One Inter City services. We would then find we had a freight blocking the Goods Line at Acton as the relief driver was stuck in a taxi due to not being able to get there by train. All good fun (unless you were trying to get to Acton!) none of which of course is reflected in any sort of dynamic game events.
    Vern.

That would be something DTG could add to TSW, taxis. We have several train crew rosters in Brisbane that include regular taxi rides, some well over 100km. Spend 1 and a half hours in a taxi just getting to your train (or getting back home after you stable your train before you can switch the computer off and go to bed), sounds right up DTG's alley.

More useful would be a map view with the functionality of Run8's F3 dispatcher screen and a bit more intelligent AI to make service mode more of an open ended sandbox mode like we have in Run8. Running back and forth from Paddington to Reading I see so much wasted potential in all the yards and industries, I'm not optimistic the new route will be different.