Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Player Experience

Default Single Player Experience

Been away for awhile due to work etc. However, Run8 remains on the HD updated and still does not disappoint in my experience. I can pull over (at Denny`s) for a coffee, manage a little dispatch for opposing traffic, stop to switch out a few boxcars, etc. etc. Still lots of fun and a great way to wind down after a tough day at the office.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am interested in how you are using Run8 or what Run8 is able to do.
    I am trying to debate whether to delve into open rails or Run8 - obviously Open rails is free.

I take it you are using v2 single player?
    I am not sure yet what I am going to get out of my train sim experience. I know a couple things.
    I don't like steam era or going back thru history much in the simming world.

I like the randomness of the cas and the engines in intermodal freight -
    I guess I would like a game/sim where I imagine I would show up to work, get handed a train of certain engines and cars, and it is my job to organize the cars, drive the route, disperse and pick up cars, and return.

In your ordinary day or week of gaming, do you see this variety? or what do you do?

When debating Run8 vs Open Rails, the primary question isn't so much single vs multi-player, but what direction your interests lie. IMHO, the primary advantage that Run8 has with respect to other simulators is the "physics". Run8's developers took a lot of time and energy insuring that their locomotives "load" correctly when the throttle is advanced. The train brakes take the appropriate amount of time to make an applcation and release depending on the length of the train and so forth. While Open Rails is kind of heading in that direction, it's not quite there.

What Open Rails has (and it's my understanding is that it's primarily due to older MSTS content) are lots of pre-defined scenarios and "canned" activities. Run8 give you an empty world. You have to build things up, figure out which trains you should be running, get the right mix of car types and so on (of course this is one reason to join a server group and go multi-player). Ask anybody who's ever run locomotives in real life (either by working on a railroad or volunteering in a museum) who has tried various consumer simulators, they'll tell you that Run8 is close to the real thing!

"In your ordinary day or week of gaming, do you see this variety? or what do you do?"

I see variety all the time. I do whatever I feel without being restricted by prototypical doctrine or practice. If I want to run from one sub to another I just grab any train I want (or spawn one) and do likewise. If I want to dispatch, I just pull over and (practice braking) and dispatch. If I want to hump a yard, I hump. If I want to switch, I switch. Run8 is a sandbox. It is your world. You don`t pause the sim. You save the world you create and then return as you left it, other than whatever AI trains have moved during a session you were unaware of when you were busy doing something else. ;-)

Run8 is not perfect, but it works. There are good arguments for a more robust AI and dynamic weather model, which may come down the road. Run8 is really designed for multi-player in mind but works well as a single player if you don`t mind managing your own railroad experience and have no time for online community. Run8, in my opinion, is worth the investment if you love modern freight trains and care about functional physics. Furthermore, if you have a 4K system Run8 looks stunning in many regards (screen shots never do justice).

Cheers
    Last edited by Ezra; 12-04-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    ......If I want to run from one sub to another I just grab any train I want (or spawn one) and do likewise.
    If I want to dispatch, I just pull over and (practice braking) and dispatch.
    If I want to hump a yard, I hump.
    If I want to switch, I switch.

Run8 is a sandbox. It is your world. You don`t pause the sim. You save the world you create and then return as you left it, other than whatever AI trains have moved during a session you were unaware of when you were busy doing something else. ;-)

Run8 is not perfect, but it works.

There are good arguments for a more robust AI and dynamic weather model, which may come down the road.

Run8 is really designed for multi-player in mind but works well as a single player if you don`t mind managing your own railroad experience and have no time for online community.

Run8, in my opinion, is worth the investment if you love modern freight trains and care about functional physics.
    I second every one of those comments.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I second every one of those comments.
    Totally!

I'll third them. When I think about what Run8 does I realise why I got bored so quickly with TSW's short routes and prescripted scenarios.

Another thing I like about the open ended sandbox approach Run8 has taken is that when new rollingstock DLC comes out you can just add it to the 'world' you have created and carry on without skipping a beat, no need to start a new scenario to run your new acquisitions.

Thank You for the compliments gentlemen. I should also mention the sense of distance and the often unpredictable train meets are always welcome as well. It took me a little while but now I have my sandbox set up so trains are always running with very little dispatching if I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Thank You for the compliments gentlemen. I should also mention the sense of distance and the often unpredictable train meets are always welcome as well. It took me a little while but now I have my sandbox set up so trains are always running with very little dispatching if I prefer.
    I mainly run between LA and Seligman on the double track so I have AI trains spawning at each end and running to the other without me interfering with them unless I want to, but the Mojave Sub and other single track portions are still there when I want to do something different. To have a break from freight I run a commuter train from LA to San Bernardino with Amtrak equipment and watch the passing trains in the other direction. Sometimes I just play dispatcher on the Mojave Sub without running a train myself, if I set up a meet somewhere I can transport to that location and watch it happen. And as mentioned all without having to download dozens of different scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    I mainly run between LA and Seligman on the double track so I have AI trains spawning at each end and running to the other without me interfering with them unless I want to, but the Mojave Sub and other single track portions are still there when I want to do something different. To have a break from freight I run a commuter train from LA to San Bernardino with Amtrak equipment and watch the passing trains in the other direction. Sometimes I just play dispatcher on the Mojave Sub without running a train myself, if I set up a meet somewhere I can transport to that location and watch it happen. And as mentioned all without having to download dozens of different scenarios.
    You nailed it. Everything in real time if you desire as well.