Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single Player Experience

Run8 as I've said is the best train simulator out there.

The V1 to V2 change was day to night allowing even more single player and MP experiences.

However, I'd caution anyone who is not already enjoying Run8 (obviously many are and that is great) dispatching your own trains for me is like writing my own activities in MSTS (Open Rails). You are basically writing your own story, though Run8 is much more dynamic at unfolding the story. You still no what is happening before you see the next signal (because you control everything around you).

For me I'd love to see V3 have AI dispatching so I can set up a single player world (or MP for that matter) and run what I want when I want. But also run at full capacity. Of course beyond that is AI switching.

The point of the added AI is not to take jobs away from humans like the real world. This is AI is to take the place of others to add to the immersion of a full realistic world.

Anyways thought I'd throw that in there especially for those considering jumping into Run8. There is still nothing better in my opinion.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    Another thing I like about the open ended sandbox approach Run8 has taken is that when new rollingstock DLC comes out you can just add it to the 'world' you have created and carry on without skipping a beat, no need to start a new scenario to run your new acquisitions.
    Yup. And you can create and spawn in any train on the fly if you want with a few mouse clicks.

What some times also works well is as little as 2 people as Scott and I demonstrated tonight. For some 1 is fine, but I mention the warnings to those new to Run8. For me personally I want operations as real as it gets so being routed into a siding to hold for 2 trains not sure what is happening is a fun part of MP.

Tonight I ran the NE with Scott and we ran just the Selkirk map with Mohawk used only to spawn in EB trains. That's another cool thing about Selkirk unlike SW & SE is they have PLENTY of spawn points. This has benefits for single players as well because you can limit the scope to whatever you want.

But tonight I dispatched Selkirk while humping. I also enjoy dispatching heavy traffic which is why I like to DS on the SW server on Mondays. In fact if you like dispatching and railfanning single player works great for Run8. But I do enjoy the added challenge of other locals running and someone else spawning in the trains on their schedules.

While I dispatched and humped Selkirk while paying attention (I had 2 runaways so it takes practice) but the DS panel is fairly simple in a small area while humping is just making sure the speed is set and the bowl is free. Scott was able to trim and build trains on the other end. If there was no trim work he could always run or work on a local. He also unlike me doesn't mind running by himself. Having that 2nd person gives more work for him while I'm not around.

Hopefully V3 has an improved AI for AI dispatching, or simple working of yards for AI humps or AI setoffs. That's quite a bit to ask but again this is likely going to be another purchase for many (more on that in another topic). What could work wonders for V3 is obviously some editors. Just having the ability to add in your own spawn points shouldn't be too difficult. Allowing the AI spawn system to be more realistic would be a nice touch as well.

But as V2 stands it's still the best out there, but is still limited at what you can do. It's great to see so many people still happy. I'm happy that I've found some nice servers to run on, and nice friends to run with (even with 2 people it makes a world of difference). But for those that are happy with single player as it is, it can do things no other simulator on the planet can do to make single player a rewarding and evolving experience.

Thanks

Sean

Default Single Player Experience

Been away for awhile due to work etc. However, Run8 remains on the HD updated and still does not disappoint in my experience. I can pull over (at Denny`s) for a coffee, manage a little dispatch for opposing traffic, stop to switch out a few boxcars, etc. etc. Still lots of fun and a great way to wind down after a tough day at the office.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images