Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average user - How many purchases?

Default Average user - How many purchases?

Considering diving into Run8 -
    I look at the purchases and see most things cost about $40 to $50 for packs/ routes/ etc....

It is one thing to look forward to and buy an update once a year for $50 if one has been doing this for years....
    But to start out and buy the package, then an extra set of locos, extra cars, extra routes... it adds up.

I have found what is included in the base package, my question is for the average user maybe one who spends a significant time running run8, how many different routes/ car packages locos routes is requiredfor enjoyment and how many have you bought?

Are you new to Train Simming?

If not what Sims have you run so far?

What (if any) payware have you bought for those Sims?

I'm not a Run8 user but looking at their site their stuff is all reasonably modern? No Steam, Transition era, 1st Generation diesels etc.

I'd have thought a logical approach would be to chose a route that you like and add stock for that.

Sims are "addictive". Folk buy loads of stuff on impulse and then find that they don't use it. I'm certainly guilty of that. Now though only when the route is REALLY topnotch I buy stuff that would run on it.

Your wallet ....your call
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by thebonepile View Post
    ...how many different routes/ car packages locos routes is required for enjoyment and how many have you bought?
    "Required for enjoyment"?
    Only one....the Californian default route, locos and 'stock which is included with your very first purchase.

That initial outlay will provide you with more than enough enjoyment during your learning experience.
    Once you have reached a point where you realise that Run8 is for you and you wish to add further locos and liveried rolling stock, you can then decide what to spend and what to buy.

But you really only need to outlay that up-front amount to start enjoying the sim.

Over the years since Run8 v1 I have bought other add-on routes and additional correctly-liveried locos and 'stock.
    Spread that across the last five years and it is peanuts for the amount of satisfaction I receive from the product.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I've purchased all the south west route addons and the CSX A-Line plus every rolling stock DLC and I think it's money well spent, although I don't run the A-Line that much.

The prices for Run8 DLC pales in comparison with the $750 I coughed up for a five car N scale Turbo Train a couple of weeks ago, not to mention the European N scale stuff I've found myself buying since I came back from holidays there in September.

There's almost $2500 worth of trains in this picture taken at last Sunday's club meeting, Run8 is a relatively cheap way of getting your train fix.
    47425075_1090406781136301_26275123858243584_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    I've purchased all the south west route addons and the CSX A-Line plus every rolling stock DLC and I think it's money well spent, although I don't run the A-Line that much.

The prices for Run8 DLC pales in comparison with the $750 I coughed up for a five car N scale Turbo Train a couple of weeks ago, not to mention the European N scale stuff I've found myself buying since I came back from holidays there in September.

There's almost $2500 worth of trains in this picture taken at last Sunday's club meeting, Run8 is a relatively cheap way of getting your train fix.
    47425075_1090406781136301_26275123858243584_n.jpg
    Nice models ... BUT....

There's no comparison. Looking at Run8's site, even though I don't have it, shows that the price of add-ons is about average for publishers of virtual models for ALL the Sims. Value for money varies quite a bit between publishers but virtual models will always be a fraction of the cost of real models.

Bruce's reply above hit's the nail on the head IMO. Buy one route with included stock and try it. Don't spend any more until you're convinced. Remember you can have as many simulators as you've disc space for BUT you also need time to play them? `
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I bought sufficient of the routes to drive from Bakersfield to the end of Seligman plus one of the Eastern routes which I didn't really enjoy. However I didn't bother with Cajon or the LA route (up to now) certainly not at full price anyway. Haven't bought much in the way of additional rolling stock either, though if they brought an Alco set out I would probably jump back in.
    Vern.

All the California routes and quite a few extra freight loco's and passenger sets.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Nice models ... BUT....

There's no comparison. Looking at Run8's site, even though I don't have it, shows that the price of add-ons is about average for publishers of virtual models for ALL the Sims. Value for money varies quite a bit between publishers but virtual models will always be a fraction of the cost of real models.
    My point exactly. People go on about how much train sim payware costs but for $50 you get the base Run8 route from Bakersfield to Needles and a pretty decent selection of rollingstock. Each route add on costs $40 so by the time you outlay another $120 you have the whole southwest region with hundreds of miles of mainline from California to Arizona, you're not going to build much of a model railroad for $170 let alone somewhere to house it. As for rollingstock, locomotive packs cost from $10 to $20 and freight car packs start from $6 and each gives you about a half dozen locos or cars but the real bargain is that you can place as many of those locos or cars on your route as you like. If you want a 120 car unit train you don't buy 120 hoppers at $25 to $40 each, you just buy one of the hopper packs for ten bucks and place 120 hoppers on the route.

You're right, there's no comparison or I wouldn't still be buying N scale models but come on people, stop saying Run8 is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    .....come on people, stop saying Run8 is expensive.
    Particularly if you are a smoker.

The cost of that habit far outweighs the cost of the train-sim habit!!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Particularly if you are a smoker.

The cost of that habit far outweighs the cost of the train-sim habit!!!
    I can remember the day I quit smoking. The first obvious benefit was my health and then my wallet. Health turned around dramatically. I added over 300.00 dollars in the wallet per month as well. In one month! Two months to buy Run8 outright.