Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is looking forward to Run8 V3 - What are you looking for make or break?

Default Who is looking forward to Run8 V3 - What are you looking for make or break?

I remember when V2 was on the horizon, and it was a no brainer for me. I knew the AI that was coming as it had been announced previously. There was a giant buzz and I checked the Run8 forum on a daily basis just waiting for more news and the eventual release.

About a year ago we heard that V3 was in development and should be complete by the end of 2018. We've heard about moving bridges, turntables, I can't remember what else. But the team was going to keep it close at hand due to the "competition". Because most news is posted here, I don't check Run8's site very often. I honestly thought the latest post of the new update was a joke, until I went on the site. Again I understand this was what people wanted, and it brings in always needed income for projects etc.

There have been plenty of rumors that I've heard before such as making some of the editors available. In fact I think John posted that some place over a year ago. I've stated elsewhere what I'd like to see in improvements to AI. We have heard new developers and territories are also coming (though I'm not sure if it's going to be V2 compatible or not).

There were some people that never bought V2 or stuck it out with V1 because of being able to edit skins, and I'm not sure what else. Again for me and many others it was a no brainer V2 is far superior.

But with each new piece of content, or each new server for every new user more will continue to segregate into what they are looking for. I'm just curious what others are looking forward to, and who is ready to purchase V3?

Personally I either need a way to have even more AI in these big huge worlds. It's already stopped me from purchasing further add on routes because they are to big to manage for me in single player or small servers at 100% capacity. Being able to have smaller regions or editors will also be a big selling point. I like the idea of moving bridges, but honestly I can take it or leave it doesn't matter to me.

Again just curious how many people are going to stick with V2 if V3 doesn't meet their needs? For example the server I like may switch to V3 regardless? Who will host V2? Should be some interesting times ahead.

Thanks

Sean

As posted in other threads, improvement to the single player experience the biggest single improvement that might result in a Day 1 purchase. As you mentioned Sean, a better way of managing all the traffic, leaving the player free just to drive their train (optional obviously for those who relish the challenge of doing both!).

Slightly more diverse motive power and rolling stock, different eras including Alcos and possibly Steam.

The cherry on the cake would be a route editor.
    Vern.

I've been hoping the team is developing an AI hump control. I love the variety of traffic produced in my single player hump yards, but I'd love it if I could just leave the hump job to itself and do other things, do a little trimming when the bowl fills up.

I'm also wanting to see an improved dispatcher interface natively built into the game. ED is amazing. TSCAD is the more realistic option, but ED is great for the game.

I'm very curious to see what the system requirements will be for the next one as well.

I don't mind if there isn't a version 3.

Further additions (routes, locos and 'stock) to the existing Run 8 would be nice but I really don't desire anything new in order to keep my interest up.
    I'm perfectly satisfied with what they have provided to date.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I don't mind if there isn't a version 3.

Further additions (routes, locos and 'stock) to the existing Run 8 would be nice but I really don't desire anything new in order to keep my interest up.
    I'm perfectly satisfied with what they have provided to date.
    Exactly my sentiments. I`m not looking forward to Run8 V3 because it doesn't`t exist---yet. The present V2 works perfectly for my liking.

While I certainly won't say "no" to V3 when it eventually becomes available, I'm more excited by the upcoming Fitzgerald Sub route that Hyrail Simulations is working on. I'm looking forward to seeing what's beyond Bolen Siding!

I am looking forward to any new version that updates the core game.

My preference for new routes, would not be in the east though.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    My preference for new routes, would not be in the east though.

Mike.
    Which is why it's nice to have a choice I have to admit that my preference for the southeast routes (A-Line and Waycross) is due to having grown up in South Florida. I've ridden those lines many times, so there is a nostalgia factor. I like the amount of single track on the A-Line because of the complexity it adds to dispatching. You can't just set up a bunch of AI trains and let them run. It's particularly great when trying to switch a local with many of the industries coming directly off the mainline.

What I will take exception to, are those who claim that the southeast is flat, and doesn't offer the challenges that that the southwest routes do with their mountains. Yes, you don't have the steep grades, but the "rolling" hills can make it difficult to keep things under control. Jim from Hyrail says that the "Fitz" will be particularly challenging for that reason. Considering that Jim used to work on CSX crews in and out of Waycross, he should know.

When all is said and done, between northeast, southeast, and southwest, we have several hundred miles of varying terrains and conditions to choose from!

I like the idea of an AI hump, I was thinking just that could be amazing.

I'm actually looking forward to a smaller region. Not a short line, but something that is great for single player and small groups.

For now I DS in the SW with 2 other dispatchers in weekly sessions which is nice. I also run with Scott now in the northeast. We only run Selkirk map to keep it simple. I'll hump and handle the DS, while Scott will trim and perhaps run locals etc. There is also always room for others as this is on Scott's server.

As for single player I certainly welcome the possibility in a smaller region that can be multi-tasked. I'm glad many are happy with the current product. But V3 I suspect isn't a free program so I'm prepared to part with money for what is right. This helps the team with much deserved income.

I know of at least 1 team member last I heard was FT. Others are counting on it as part time income. But honestly just parting money for add on cars that aren't important to me (perhaps others) isn't practical.

We'll see what happens I take it in the new year.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by byelen View Post
    Which is why it's nice to have a choice I have to admit that my preference for the southeast routes (A-Line and Waycross) is due to having grown up in South Florida. I've ridden those lines many times, so there is a nostalgia factor. I like the amount of single track on the A-Line because of the complexity it adds to dispatching. You can't just set up a bunch of AI trains and let them run. It's particularly great when trying to switch a local with many of the industries coming directly off the mainline.

What I will take exception to, are those who claim that the southeast is flat, and doesn't offer the challenges that that the southwest routes do with their mountains. Yes, you don't have the steep grades, but the "rolling" hills can make it difficult to keep things under control. Jim from Hyrail says that the "Fitz" will be particularly challenging for that reason. Considering that Jim used to work on CSX crews in and out of Waycross, he should know.

When all is said and done, between northeast, southeast, and southwest, we have several hundred miles of varying terrains and conditions to choose from!
    Most definitely choice is good. Just don't expect me to buy anything route wise east of Chicago buddy. .

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust