Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Idea's and Advice.

Scott, that sure looks good!
    Christopher

Hi Folks,

Thanks - LOL - if you look at my earliest works - I cringe - it's been an ever evolving process... They're over in the Elvas beta file section if anyone is interested - they're supposed to be 3 packs of various road (Double Sided and Steel as well) - but my interest here ebbs and flows - so official packs are on my list next time I get the urge...

Hi Michele,

I've watched your work evolve - and you've really come along way as well... Superb effort - really - I like the looks of your cars very much...

I'm assuming you use PS - I use PSP myself - but they probably have similar features... I usually have two PSP files for each paint - one to create the dark greyscale template that contains all the details, base texture, and shadow - I have a decent metal texture that I use as a base for most of my work - the paint color adheres nicely to - even on wood... Then I do a separate PSP file for each paint using the template from the first as my base...

As you obviously already know - layer types to apply color make all the difference in the world - in PSP I usually use a blend of one or more of the following layer types (depending on the color) - to make it look right [Overlay, Multiply, Hard Light, Soft Light, and Dodge]... These layer types allow all the details from the greyscale image below to show through while making the colors look really good... Sometimes you need to duplicate the aforementioned layers to get the color to look right...

Start searching the internet for "Free Metal Textures" that may look good when applied with [Overlay, Multiply, Hard Light, Soft Light, and Dodge] - it's kind of fun to get a good looking real metal texture and apply it to the model - and it can give the model some pop... Rust stains and such can be applied in a similar fashion...

One of the best tricks I've found - is adding a [Saturation] layer with a spattering from an irregular brush - as now the color saturation varies across the model and it doesn't have one uniform color which we try to avoid - as that's the way it looks like in real life... It's pretty apparent on the models I posted with the blotchy color...

Another neat thing I've found - is take a fuzzy brush on a separate appropriately sized image - turn the density down - and spatter the entire image with black 0,0,0 dots - you want the dots small and fine - pixel sized - add another layer and do the same in white 255,255,255... Now use the [Wind Distortion Tool] to streak these pixel sized dots across the image - then cut and paste as desired onto new layers on your work in progress - adds some nice effects when orientated in the vertical...

The key is to be - - - - subtle - - - and not overdue the effects... The cars I posted above are comprised of around 35 layers IIRC before I had something I was happy with... I'm always playing with the features in PSP to see if I can improve the effect...

Hope you find something useful here - they're some of my tricks - more than happy to share techniques...

Keep up the fine work !!!

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 12-12-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Hi Michelle,

Oh - if interested - a good place to look for real metal textures is - - - http://www.textures.com - - - while they are a payware site - they offer free limited downloads after you create an account - at low resolutions - that work just fine for our needs... There are some great rust stains in addition to all kinds of fantastic textures - I've gotten many textures from them over the years...

Regards,
    Scott

So after my paint program failed to save correctly I had to start all over. Mad and frustrated I stopped yesterday and just didn't want to try again after losing all that work but I did and I even remembered all the small stenciling that I had to spend hours studing to figure out what it actually said.

So here is the first NW car completed.

NWFINISHED.jpg

MSSheare...truly like your work...have neither the talent or patience that you and your fellow modelers do but have some equipment suggestions...INTERSTATE RAILROAD is a favorite of mine and having Cabooses, RS3 (Orange and White or Black), LOTS of modern open hoppers (they were an Appalachian Coal Hauling railroad) would be fantastic to have!
    Bill Stevens
    E.T.& W.N.C./Linville River Railroad "The Doe River Route"
    Bill Stevens - - Knoxville, TN

Nice job Michelle!! Things happens like that when an item failed to save correctly.. Few times I have to change the file name and it does save. There are few knicks on files in which can get corrupted in no time. so always double-save for backup purposes. Dont give up!
    Dave Edwards

thanks, I am not sure how they look to everyone else. so let please send me some feedback on them so i know. These cars were not easy to make and I thought they would be.

Just my opinion and I realize things look slightly different on each persons computer but it seem like the black is so black that you can't see any of the body detail. I lightened one car and it seems a little better, I'm just experimenting.
    Original
    NW 1.JPG

Lightened 25%
    NW 2.JPG
    Jim

One thing we could use, is some nice stock cars. All the Western Roads used them abundantly in the late 40s and early 50s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob is so right. We do need stockcars.