Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PRR Eastern Region v2 beta

I love the PRR Eastern so far. Is the Reading Commuter side still in this release? I love to simulate the Reading Commuter Rails.

I have no idea where the Reading is.
    I tidied up any and all scenery I found out of kilter and if the Reading was in there I wouldn't know it. Not an expert on that but I can say the route contains all the original public beta release with the six official PRRFix Patches. Patch07 was pulled for introducing database problems. IDK the full contents of Fix07 other than Altoona.
    I rebuilt Zoo and added Ron Picardi's Altoona Upgrade that was part of Patch 07.

Glad you like it and regards,
    vince
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The Reading and B&O / CSX trackage is still there including all the previously modeled Reading commuter lines, just need to create appropriate paths for the PRR-ER v2. As part of the Zoo Interlocking rebuild Vince "reconnected" the PRR Belmont Branch to the 30th Street yard. This will permit Pennsy and Reading traffic interchange in the West Falls Yard (as well as others westward serving the Trenton Cutoff).

The PRR-ER has modeled a significant amount of B&O and Reading trackage. The B&O runs about 170 miles between Washington DC's B&O Eckington Yard through Philadelphia on to West Trenton via Reading trackage rights. The result is the longest B&O route I know of (three times longer than MLT's Sandpatch) and the largest Reading Lines route. Most all Reading trackage in the greater Philadelphia area was modeled. All hidden within the magnificent PRR Eastern Region!

If you're a Reading, B&O or CSX aficionado, this route really has potential for your activities. My "minor" criticisms are that the NEC v4 as included in the PRR-ER has the B&O (now CSX) electrified from Philadelphia to Washington (it never was, save for the Baltimore Tunnels). Also would be nice to have the old B&O 24th & Chestnut Street station modeled The power gantries reduce the immersion factor a bit. Shutting off the overhead wires helps. Perhaps this can be fixed in a future update, but I am really quite happy with Vince's new PRR-ER v2, as I'm mostly a Pennsy guy.

Anther nice touch would more realistic modeling of the PRR and Reading Chestnut Hill stations. Most all were beautiful and rather unique. The Mainline stations between Philadelphia and Paoli are really well done and fairly accurate to real life. I commuted on the Paoli Local from 1955 through 1961, The PRR-ER "Main Line" is quite immersive for me, it just looks right! Also rode the Chestnut Hill lines from 1961 into the 1970s. This is no fault of Vince, he's done a yeoman's job on this upgrade!

Also, there are way too many overhead structures for the catenary. On the PRR there should normally be one every 300'. And they should not normally alternate from one type of structure to another at every second structure. Going down a long tangent you should see all nearly identical structures until you get to a curve or an interlocking or other change of condition.

I'd like to go through my copy and weed out every second structure in most places, and all of them on the B&O, as that would be affect improvement. Might take years of spare time....

David P. Carleton
    D. Carleton Rail Books - "Under Pennsy Wires" - copyright 1977

Hi David,

I fully agree with you.
    I did do some weeding coming north out of Washington but view some cab ride videos (the ones not shot with telephoto lens) and in most sections the original builders got it pretty close.

Modern constant tension catenery has a much longer span between supports.
    Real world now: You can see that in the part of the NEC North of New Haven where the old cat wire couldn't handle the Acela speeds. Pan bounce was the problem caused by wire sag in hot weather.
    Why the NEC South of the NJ tunnels was ok for Acela and Metroliner speeds eludes me. It is a completely different design but still manually tensioned. A ton of work for sure.

regards,
    vince

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Vince, I have the PRR Fix 07 if you would like to fool with it? If you'd like a copy drop me a PM.

Robert

Thenk you kindly for the offer Robert, but I already have that fix07. It has a broken TDB. You actually running with that fix? How do you get through Newark NB?

The V2 just re;eased has all TDB errors fixed and it would not be productive to add more.
    The ReadMe explains the 07 fix and why it cannot be used in the route.

The PRR developer installation is gone from my system. I only have the distribution v2 as it presently in the File Library here.
    IOW, my work is done. I don't plan on any more work on the route. The new TSRE editor is pretty slick and begs a look.
    When I first used it I created a 1 tile practice route table. Took me all of 20 minutes. Juet start TSRE and select New. Practiced 3 months and then decided to test with the PRR . . . never planned just sort of slpped into it.

I've re-started the Long Island Rail Road, laid in the Oyster Bay markers and have begun . . .albeit a slower pace.

regards,

Vince. The 07 fix just resides in my archive of PRR East stuff. I had not had the route installed for a while. I downloaded the new version and installed it after 15 hours of waiting. Your work is very well done and the route is very much better off for it.

Robert

I have both PRR-ER U6 and PRR-ER U7 versions installed. I installed and ran PRR-ER U7 for years before I found out that the PRR-ER U7 update was flawed. It runs quite well in Open Rails which seems to muddle through some of the "tough spots", although I did have some difficulty in the Linden NJ area depending on which tracks I traversed. Only recently did I install PRR-ER U6 out of curiosity, pending the release of PRR-ER v2. The U6 version has some real track problems east of Altoona, but Open Rails still muddles through!

PRR-ER v2 is so much better, though. I've been working with TrackViewer to make more Paths. Still on the learning curve, but making progress!