Thread: New Locomotives for Amtrak

Default New Locomotives for Amtrak

https://media.amtrak.com/2018/12/amt...w-locomotives/

With demand for Amtrak service at record levels, Amtrak will acquire new mainline passenger diesel locomotives from Siemens Mobility to replace its aging National Network locomotive fleet. These initial 75 locomotives will be used principally for Amtrak’s Long Distance train service, with options to purchase more, for use on some State Supported routes and for future growth.

“These new locomotives will offer increased reliability, more hauling power, improved safety features and lower emissions,” said Amtrak President & CEO Richard Anderson.

“Siemens Mobility is honored and grateful to Amtrak for this opportunity to assist Amtrak in their mission to provide safe, world-class, environmentally conscious technology for their long-distance services,” said Michael Cahill, president of Siemens Mobility’s North America rolling stock business.

The new locomotives will offer the latest safety systems including Crash Energy Management and Positive Train Control. Capable of speeds up to 125 MPH, the locomotives will have 4,400 horsepower capable 16-cylinder Cummins QSK95 diesel engines with modern control systems and Alternating Current (AC) propulsion. The diesel engine will come equipped with the latest Tier 4 emissions technology, reducing nitrogen oxide by over 89 percent and particulate matter by 95 percent, and provide an average of 10 percent savings in diesel fuel consumption.

Delivery of the new locomotives will begin in summer 2021, with passenger service beginning in fall 2021. They will power trains used on the Auto Train, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. All locomotives are expected to be in service by 2024. Maintenance activities across the network will be supported by a supplemental multiyear Technical Support Spares Supply Agreement (TSSSA).

Amtrak is paying for the new locomotives through available funds and will comply with Buy American provisions. They will be built at Siemens Mobility’s rail manufacturing plant in Sacramento, California, a facility which uses solar power and employs more than 1,300 people.

Siemens Mobility has established a robust and diverse base of U.S. suppliers across the country to support the production of its current Charger diesel locomotives, including Cummins, which manufactures its engines in its Seymour, Indiana, facility.

Siemens Mobility’s Charger locomotives are currently operating in several state-supported Amtrak routes in California, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Michigan, and Washington.

The new locomotives will primarily replace the aging Amtrak P40 and P42 locomotives, some of which have been in service for more than 25 years.

The new locomotives are part of Amtrak’s long-term planned series of improvements for fleet, infrastructure and stations. Other modern equipment includes new Acela trainsets arriving in 2021 and ongoing improvements continue at New York Penn Station and new construction at Moynihan Train Hall, in addition to expanded development of the major stations at Chicago, Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia.

When did locomotives become soooo expensive - $850 for 75 locomotives and associated services.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Look at your calendar, my friend. I ask the same about new car prices … cha-ching! The press release didn't fully explain what the "associated services" are, and that must be a big part of the deal.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Still not particularly attractive, but a HUGE improvement over the GEs!!

Impressive! I can't say I can see these hauling the Auto Train though. If they're going on the LSL, will there be a dual mode in the works or is this clean enough to run through the westside tunnel.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

Tier-4 emissions, so they're vastly cleaner than the (at best) Tier-0 of the existing Amtrak GEs. Over time, as the GE fleet is replaced, that will make the vicinity of non-electrified stations and yards/shops much more pleasant places. And the current purchase is only a start on replacing the aging Amtrak diesel fleet. But that still isn't zero emissions, which is what's required in tight-clearance and long tunnels in the NY area. So I would not expect the new locomotives to be used in that area - existing dual-mode/electrodiesel or locomotive change to electric will still be required there.

*sarcasm* Cool; more chargers. I'll admit they aren't bad, but in my opinion, Siemens should've done a whole new design, or at least a facelift like Brightline since it's their main workhorses their building too now.
    Last edited by J.A.V.; 12-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Redefined for better content craftsmanship.

*sarcasm* Cool; more chargers. I'll admit they aren't bad, but in my opinion, Siemens should've done a whole new design, or at least a facelift like Brightline since it's their main workhorses their building too now.
    Because Amtrak's current diesels are such beauties, right..? I'm sure the same thing was said 25 years ago when the P40s first came out

Not only are Tier-4s cleaner, they're likely more efficient. It couldn't hurt for the likes of Amtrak to save a bit of money. As long as they don't use the same god-awful horns that the Tier-4 gevos and the like use...

Not only that, but I'm kinda glad to see the P42s go for the crew's sake. I've spoken to engineers who've run both the SC44 and the P42, and they hate the P42. Narrow cab door, not the best visibility through the small rectangular windows, and overall uncomfortable compared to the SC44. Which succeeds greatly in the aforementioned areas. Glad to see the end for them, at this point. They have NOT aged well, crews don't like them, and it's about time to put the limping horse down for everyone's benefit.