Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wires on telegraph poles.

Default Wires on telegraph poles.

I have been trying to attach wires to telegraph poles, so far with no success.
    Anyone with any tips ?
    Cheers Ross

The wires have to be "snappable" but beyond that I cannot offer more. I haven't done this
    with telegraph poles, but there are electric power poles & towers in the library that will do
    it. Most were done a long time ago by Ron Picardi & others. Also if you obtain a copy of
    the COAST1 or COAST2 routes (Milwaukee Road) which I have done, there are Milwaukee
    Road hi-tension poles that are snappable.

J. H. Sullivan

Thanks Jerry,
    I have selected poles, wired ones, from other routes, but the setting up in TSRE5 still has me baffled.
    Cheers Ross

If the wires/poles (some models are a combination) are snapable, the TSRE view menu can be set to display the snap points.
    The 'Snap To' in TSRE has to be set to 'Snapable Points'

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I used to go to the bother of making poles and wires track objects so I could lay them on a grade just like road or track. I've found a much easier way using TSRE:

Lay a road shape that's exactly equal to the distance you want between poles. Adjust the pitch of these shapes as needed to follow the terrain. Set down some for some goodly distance and pause. Return to the start; If the first road shape is pitched up or down add one more shape going in the opposite direction and leave it level. Next place one pole anywhere close by. Select the level shape and do copy location and rotation. Select the pole and paste location and rotation. The pole relocates to the starting position. Now place a handful of wire shapes and follow up with a copy/many pastes of the aligned pole shape. Those are your inventory, queued up for use.

Select the first track/road shape, copy position and rotation and paste that to one of the wire shapes. Go to the next track/road shape, select it, copy position only. Paste that to one of the pole shapes you queued up, Return to the the same track/road shape and this time copy position and rotation and paste that on one of queued up wire shapes. Repeat as needed for the run you want. When done, delete teh road shapes you used as a guide.

The reason you paste only the position shape to poles is you want them vertical. If you had pasted position and rotation you'd tip your poles.

If you need some turns in your wire line you may have to gin up a temporary road shape and set it up (temporarily) in the tsection file as an intersection. The wires come in one one directional orientation and run out in the direction you specified in the tsection file. If you havn't messed with tsection data before, fine some similar examples in existing road shapes, get an understanding of what they do, and craft one for yourself. Just be sure to delete your temporary data when done.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Thanks Guys,
    There is something I just don't get with this, but I will keep looking at why.
    Thanks, Ross

Lay a road shape that's exactly equal to the distance you want between poles. Adjust the pitch of these shapes as needed to follow the terrain. Set down some for some goodly distance and pause. Return to the start;
    If you want to lay road/track for this then just lay full path and use auto placement. It will do the whole work for you.

What does it take to make poles and wires track pieces to run in the Tsection.dat? I am baffled on how to do this in old MSTS RE Dave?

I am now wondering if I can add canal shapes as road sections or tracks temporarily to lay them out? I wonder if a canal defined as road shapes would allow for moving boats like car spawners?

Robert

Dave's manual method is what I do with WFH... set up a bunch of 200-250m road sections to set the "lay line" for my wires, and then map poles and wires that are 200-250m long to the same XYZ QD of those road sections.

Raiganj, Uttar Dinajpur, West Bengal, India.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    If you want to lay road/track for this then just lay full path and use auto placement. It will do the whole work for you.
    When I used autoplacement option to lay Catenary Pole and wire, it's only worked on straight track section, but on the curve track wires are not adjust with pole's cantilever properly due to their different rotation value on curve. And it's very hard to setup wire position and rotation with poles one by one.