Thread: Making new Routes.

Default Making new Routes.

Hi,
    All you Trainsimmers please give a rundown how to use the new way to make a Route
    with the new Maps(MRCL)
    We have VT Builder and Demex newest version.
    We have searched the Web for the new Maps,but nothing
    Please help!

You need more info,please contact us!

Arno
    All was very easy to do all this

First, please indicate which tool you are going to use to build the route - MSTS RE or TSRE5. It's important because the steps are entirely different.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Hi Chris,
    MSTS RE
    I'm still learning TSRE5

Arno

Your absolute best start is to download Michael Vone' Route Editor Guide. It's free and covers almost everything and anything you need to know about MSTS RE. It available here: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=29931
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your respond but maybe my thread did not explaine this right.
    What I need is the Map service i use before this not on the web anymore.
    I have look for any USGS and MRCL but works.
    'So what i was looking for is there any different way.
    I have Demex,Mosaic and Vt Builder to change the data to geogiff.

So maybe you have good idea to make a new Route and get good Elevation.

Thanks Chris!

Arno

Hi Arno
    If you are looking to get height data into your route, then use TSRE.
    You need a line in "settings.txt" pointing to your height data files eg
    # geo data
    geoPath = E:/1MSTS/Height
    Then open the route in TSRE. Press F3 (or Tools/Geo). On the RHSide tick the boxes "Create New Tiles" and "Create Terrain from Geodata".
    Then just move about your route and new tiles with height will appear as you go.
    Garry

Arno,

Here is how I do it, and I still use MSRE too. There is very little printed instructions out for TSRE
    and I am a visual person. I also have problems knowing the difference between manual track
    add/adjustment etc. so:

I assume you are working in the US. So go to viewer.nationalmap.gov. Here you have the choice
    of finding & using either maps, or seamless data. Now the only available format for elevation is
    ArcGIS, so follow the instructions of the viewer and download the zip files of data for the area of
    interest. Unzip the files to a temporary location(s). If you drill down in the new folders, eventually
    you will see a w001001.adf file (the larger one is what you need). This is the basic elevation file but
    it is not ready for use yet. Go into VTBuilder and load this file as a elevation layer. Export this layer
    as a geotif file. This file can be loaded into DEMEX the same as any geotif file. Typically these
    files are 1 degree square, i.e. each covers about 60x60 miles. Download & convert the files you need
    and you are more or less ready to go.
    Now I find Route Geometry Extractor difficult to use in that it can be a pain in sensitive area to find
    out where your route is. So what I do is try to get some of the route set up by RGE. Now make
    your marker file which these days pretty much has to be done from Google Earth. It is easy to do,
    just save the G.E. files as .kml files to some specified location of your choice. Then use a kml to
    mkr converter to create the marker file.

Then I go into DEMEX and the marker file is displayed as a series of small dots. From that, jot
    down the names of additional files needed and go back into RGE to create them. You will likely
    go through this cycle several times. Now some lad is gong to say you could do all this in
    DEMEX but I have never got a uncorrupted root file when I saved from DEMEX while the
    method I roughed in has never failed me.

Now the only problem I have is that I have no software that will accurately display the topo
    maps that can be downloaded from the same site as the elevation data. Maybe someone
    else can recommend a good viewer. All I get is striped pinkish image.

Experiment a bit with the options in DEMEX to fill in any canyons or high mountains that
    may occur at file boundaries.

J. H. Sullivan