Thread: Crossing Lights Malfunction

Default Crossing Lights Malfunction

3 cars almost hit by Metra train, crossing lights and gates failure till train is on the crossing........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXBJbGQ1dgA
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

It's rare, but it happens. I trust that signals work, but I still get pretty close to a full stop when approaching one, especially in quiet zones. So far all the malfunctions I've seen are false activations, which are common

It might of been a malfunction but if you watch closely after the locomotive passes you can see a guy working in the control box. So that could be up for speculation.
    Roburt

That was pretty close to home here! Good thing the other car made it, and the officers reflexes were sharp. I can't believe in the comments section what one barbarian said.....I hope he's the next one NOT paying attention.

Had to scare the absolute hell out of the engineer too! May have been a quiet zone, not 100% sure of the crossing, but I'd bet he/she was laying on that horn.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Metra's signals department owns this... this isn't one of the contracted out lines.

If someone's working on the wayside, shouldn't it have been called out as a work zone?

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Metra's signals department owns this... this isn't one of the contracted out lines.

If someone's working on the wayside, shouldn't it have been called out as a work zone?
    I should think so. If the signals are out of service, there would have to be at least one flagman at the crossing, or else the train would have to stop before the crossing and a crew member would have to do the flagging. In any case, any quiet zone rule the neighbors may have demanded goes out the window in a case like this