Thread: Changing Friction-Bearing Freight car Trucks to Roller-Bearing

Default Changing Friction-Bearing Freight car Trucks to Roller-Bearing

Not sure if what the title says is fully accurate for MSTS but have seen some Freight Car equipment that have Friction-Bearings that I would like to convert to Roller-Bearing...how would I go about doing that...I figure if I start with something very simple it will provide the experience and confidence to tackle larger and larger projects...Bill
    E.T.& W.N.C./Linville River Railroad "The Doe River Route"
    Bill Stevens - - Knoxville, TN

Easiest method would be to use FCalc2 - in library >>> fcalc.zip
    1. File menu - choose metric units
    2. I'm assuming MSTS, since that is where you posted. (OR would use Davis numbers -- View menu )
    3. Type - Freight car >>> Standard or one of the other sub categories ( empty hopper for any empty car with enclosing walls and an open top)
    4. Speed choose 105kph ( approx 65mph) - that's the point where air drag should be considered...although you will find reasoning for other speeds.
    5. Axles -- self explanatory
    6. Front area...calculate from models, shape viewer, or sneak into a yard and measure the car ( best method, although problematical when caught doing so ) Be as precise as possible
    7. Weight...be careful here, do some research, many model makers weights are too high in many cases for specific loads.
    ...and finally to your question
    Choose = Bearings >>> Standard and press calculate.
    Press Copy button and friction values will be copied and ready to past into first part of friction line in wag file.
    probably forgot something...hopefully someone will fill in, but this is enough to get you started.

I realize I may have missed your point...did you mean the actual model representation of bearings, or the physics?
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-31-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Gerry's answer addresses the physics that are part of the .wag file.

But how to change the model, showing friction bearing or roller bearing?

Almost all models have these built into the model and changes would have to be made in a 3d program, presuming you could (IF you could) obtain the source files. And then the textures . . .

I think open rails should be looking toward a more modular future where the trucks are a separate FA from the body. But we need model builder for that.

Christopher

Gerry...you actually answered my question(s)...I am treating this situation as if the 'Front Office' submitted orders to have some equipment updated to Roller-Bearing Trucks to get better usage (and greater safety) out of the equipment...Bill
    E.T.& W.N.C./Linville River Railroad "The Doe River Route"
    Bill Stevens - - Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I think open rails should be looking toward a more modular future where the trucks are a separate FA from the body.
    In MSTS, animated parts were not possible on FA shapes. I don't know if that has changed in OR.

Erick Cantu's "gosskit1.zip" has the option to change between plain (friction) bearings and plain bearings converted to roller bearings on the same model by simply exchanging a texture file. Of course, a truck that was built for roller bearings would still require a different shape.

Just doing some advertising here for the NAVS kit ...

Uli