Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OR replacement files for the old Larry Goss PS1 boxcars

Default OR replacement files for the old Larry Goss PS1 boxcars

I eagerly snapped up Erick Cantu's new OR replacement shape and physics files for the old Larry Goss PS1 boxcar - of which there are tons of photo-repaints available here in the f/l - and began converting the Teemu Saukkonen East Coast 40ft box car pack using Erick's files. The conversion process is easy: Erick provides you with a variety of options (different brake compositions tied to new sounds, specular lighting on roofs, even different wheel bearings!), and before you know it you've got a folder filled with freight cars that don't look out of place with payware.

And to that extent, here are some shots on Paul Charland's superb Connecticut River route with a consist headed up with BLW/ZT FT's followed by the cars of that East Coast 40ft box car pack (which is used by the supplied activities that come with the route). The caboose is another BLW/ZT item from their equally superb ConnRiver pack.

NAVS_PS1_1.jpgNAVS_PS1_2.jpgNAVS_PS1_3.jpgNAVS_PS1_4.jpgNAVS_PS1_5.jpg

Note the fine detail Erick's put into the couplers and brake hoses and, especially, the wheels and truck assemblies. Just in case you forgot what the originals looked like, the last photo shows an N&W Larry Goss 50' boxcar with the original trucks and wheels.

And as if this wasn't enough, Erick, trading under the name "North American V-Scale," or "NAVS" for short, also supplied completely new sounds to go with these models. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

David

David,

Thanks a lot for giving me the "push" to have a closer look at Erick's files. Honestly, when I saw them in the F/L at first glance I did not notice the potential in them. Now, for the last two days I upgraded most of my old Larry Goss 40ft boxcars (the ones with the better textures) to the new shapes, physics and sounds. Then I went to the F/L again and downloaded more. What a fantastic gift!

Uli

Thanks David for posting, just the push I needed too, they are much better afterwards........................
    Nice upgrade............and Erick, thank you too................
    Rick
    http:\\mononrr.com
    MONON-2

Yes, Erick does great stuff and always has. One of the first conversions I did when I was new to virtual model railroads back in 2008 was to upgrade the default MSTS stock with some of Erick's replacement shapes. Those shapes are still first class models!

I hope that he sees fit to upgrade the Larry Goss 50' boxcar, too, as there are plenty of repaints for that model as well.

Cheers,

David

well done!

Has anyone else had the issue with these shapes, I have the right side step partially missing on the shapes.
    Rick
    MONON-2

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-MONON View Post
    Has anyone else had the issue with these shapes, I have the right side step partially missing on the shapes.
    Ditto !!!

Regards,
    Scott

I've reconfigured a couple of the files. Had to alpha out the roof grating for the no roof grating files, had to move the roller bearing visuals to get them to show instead of the friction bearings, the alphas do not work. But these are beautiful when completed. You can have multiple cars in one folder, you just need separate 's' files for each different car, and re-work the aliases in the eng files.

See picture, what I am referring to is all ace files I have for this shape on the left side the foot rail is half gone, does anyone else have this on theres???

If not could I have your ace files so I can remap mine???

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick
    MONON-2

I don't know - The cars I converted look like that in the Shape Viewer but look just fine in the game...?