Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rr-java

Default Rr-java

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

For me not so happy still have his problem with Route Riter and Java.
    I will attach what I have so please look all this that we solve problem.
    I Have both RR 7.6 and 7.8 on D:\

I can load only 5 items if you more I can downloaded.

Arno
    Attached Images Attached Images

And...
    • You have all the tsutils jar files copied to a classes directory under that that java directory?
    • In the RR preferences, you have identified where java is located? Sometimes a java install doesn't properly set all the environment variables and/or registry entries needed for other stuff to find it, but software that needs java usually has a way to manually set the java location. I haven't used RR recently, and I don't remember where in program that can be set.
    • Java is correctly installed? Try downloading and re-installing.
    • If you're running 64-bit Windows, do you have *both* 32-bit and 64-bit Java installed? RR is 32-bit, so it's possible that it has problems with 64-bit (in Program Files in a 64-bit Windows machine) Java. Look in Program Files (x86) - if Java is not there, get a 32-bit Java installer and install it along with the classes directory with the tsutil stuff. Luckily, you appear to have Java 8 for which 32-bit is still available.

For a larger audience: Oracle public support for Java 8 ends this month (see: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...iew/index.html) *edit* for commercial users, and the end of 2020 for personal users (gory details for lawyers: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...t-roadmap.html) */edit*. If RR can't work with Java 11 (64-bit only - no 32-bit option - available at that oracle web site), then it will effectively go EOL at that time, or whenever after that Oracle decides to end security/bug fix support for 8. Might be worthwhile to start a thread that collects reports of RR compatibility (or lack of such) with Java 11 64-bit), and any workarounds that might be discovered. Otherwise, we have a problem with a basic tool - and regardless of Java version in normal use may need to keep the final release of 8 around just for RR (a potential security issue if exposed to the internet).
    Last edited by mikeebb; 01-03-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: gory Java 8 details from Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    And...
    • You have all the tsutils jar files copied to a classes directory under that that java directory?
    • In the RR preferences, you have identified where java is located? Sometimes a java install doesn't properly set all the environment variables and/or registry entries needed for other stuff to find it, but software that needs java usually has a way to manually set the java location. I haven't used RR recently, and I don't remember where in program that can be set.
    • Java is correctly installed? Try downloading and re-installing.
    • If you're running 64-bit Windows, do you have *both* 32-bit and 64-bit Java installed? RR is 32-bit, so it's possible that it has problems with 64-bit (in Program Files in a 64-bit Windows machine) Java. Look in Program Files (x86) - if Java is not there, get a 32-bit Java installer and install it along with the classes directory with the tsutil stuff. Luckily, you appear to have Java 8 for which 32-bit is still available.

For a larger audience: Oracle public support for Java 8 ends this month (see: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...iew/index.html) *edit* for commercial users, and the end of 2020 for personal users (gory details for lawyers: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...t-roadmap.html) */edit*. If RR can't work with Java 11 (64-bit only - no 32-bit option - available at that oracle web site), then it will effectively go EOL at that time, or whenever after that Oracle decides to end security/bug fix support for 8. Might be worthwhile to start a thread that collects reports of RR compatibility (or lack of such) with Java 11 64-bit), and any workarounds that might be discovered. Otherwise, we have a problem with a basic tool - and regardless of Java version in normal use may need to keep the final release of 8 around just for RR (a potential security issue if exposed to the internet).
    Java: 1.8.0_151
    Route Riter: V 7.8

Works for me, but I went to hell & back getting it to run.Went thru countless versions of Java & RR before this combination seemed to click

Mike,
    I just installed java 32bit version still the same problem!!
    jre 1.8.0._191m in ProgramFiles(x86) Java with classes attached.
    I don't know what do next?
    Is there anyway to run RR without Java??????

Arno

Hi, i have RR installed on a 64bit laptop from HP, WIN 10.

My installation of RR is 7.6.26 and i have Java 1.8.0_191 and both are in the x86 Programs folder and the "classes" folder is in this location: "Java/jre1.8.0_191/" with the "bin" and "lib" folders of Java.

Also, i installed RR as admin and i do run it as admin, for me it would not run if not.

Michel

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi

see here for a couple of threads where I had problems with Mikes RR

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...iter-error-380

For an interim solution I installed the DR version found here.

https://www.digital-rails.com/route_riter.html

But my advice is to not use it for creating JPGs of rolling stock as I believe it
    made 0 byte files from some shape files, no proof just extrapolation...

One of the threads also mentiond creating Temp folder which got me over on of
    my install problems.

I finally fixed the problem by creating a correct JAVA PATH, see here

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...highlight=java

I am NOT and expert but I believe that by installing the x64 version of Java before the 32 bit version the path was not
    readable by Mikes RR.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if the path is incorrect, if you tried uninstalling any x64 and 32bit java and any JDK versions then reinstalling Java32
    it may rewrite the path

Groping in the dark

Cheers

Daniel
    Last edited by daniellouwrens; 01-04-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add info
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

FYI

Operating System = Windows 7

Route Riter 7.6.26 located away from Program Files and Program Files (x86)

Java jre1.8.0_191 located in Program Files (x86)

RR works fine and when Java updates I copy the "classes" folder from the earlier installations.
    Creating L&YR Wagons - see HERE and L&NWR Coaches - see HERE.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi

I agree, I have (had) RR installed away from Program Files folders
    but had Java x64 installed in Program Files first then 32bit into
    Program Files (x86) and I think that may have been the cause
    of my problem.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

Oracle's latest move for Java support and licensing is causing much heartburn in the IT world wherever software relies on a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) install.

There's still a way to get and run a "free" JRE, by switching to OpenJDK, the open-source version of the Java Development Kit and JRE. Unfortunately, installing the JRE requires downloading the entire JDK (developer's package), extracting the JRE, and then setting it up manually. This includes making folders, copying files, and manually adding entries to the system PATH variable in Windows. It's not difficult, but it's fiddly -- much like the current issues around getting RR to run with Java 8 -- and it adds a few more fiddly bits. (For the technical types among us, Java has been dropping copies of its executables into the \Windows\System32\ directory, just to avoid making PATH settings in its installer. It works, but it's not OK by good practices and not OK from an IT security perspective. It's a kludgey way to do things. Just one more instance of how Java is messy.)

Oracle generally doesn't even publish compiled versions of OpenJDK on their site. A consortium of Java developers and software developers from other publishers that use Java have set up a website with downloadable, compiled and runnable versions of OpenJDK for various operating systems, including Windows in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, for Java 8 and Java 11 compatibility. (Tip - not all permutations of OpenJDK are compiled and available this way, but the most compatible builds are; also ignore Java 9 & 10 implementations as they're not the "general use" flavors of Java; stick to versions 8 and 11.)

Basically, as consumers using Java 8 for non-commercial things like Route Riter, we can keep using the Oracle JRE 8 and get updates throughout the coming year.

Starting in 2020, it's decision time. For most home users, needing Java (runtime) rarely comes up any longer. Particularly for trainsimmers who often like to keep the sim on a computer that's not connected to the internet, you could make a case for sticking with the final version of Java 8 for as long as possible.

For folks who need to keep going with a supported version of the JRE, OpenJDK builds will have to be the solution. With any luck, there will be more progress with making OpenJDK configurations available. Right now, installing the JRE from OpenJDK is doable, if a bit bumpy. As time goes on, it shouldn't get any worse, if not better.

The project for making OpenJDK widely available has its home page at https://adoptopenjdk.net/

Downloads for Java 8 compatibility in Windows, in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available here. The page will take you to the downloads for the "HotSpot" variation of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) engine. That's probably nonsense to most folks, but it refers to the nickname of the core Java engine which is the most like the commercial Java engine.

Stay tuned. The world isn't ending for Java 8, but we'll all be puzzling out the road ahead for a while.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Ericf,
    Thanks for your reply .
    i'm not get thru do so all your writing so please can you give
    me a step by step runtime for java and RR.

Thank you!

Arno