Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSTS Will Not Run on Windows 10

Default MSTS Will Not Run on Windows 10

I have installed MSTS in a Windows 10 system, but it will not run as MSTS. Have installed, deleted, re-installed several times and the same issue. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I think you will find people will be asking for a bit more information to point you in the right direction.

Mainly your full PC specifications bearing in mind MSTS is unable to run under anything other than Nvidia graphics, i.e. not ATI/AMD or an Intel on board chip set.

Whether you followed the process as described on the Steam4me web site with regard to best practice for installation.

However it is interesting to note, that following my update to a new Nvidia GPU (1050 replaced 950) and a UHD monitor, I also cannot get MSTS to launch either the sim or the editor package. It starts to load then just aborts. Worked perfectly alright before. Have tried fiddling with DPI settings etc. but cannot get it running. It's the first time I've tried running MSTS (as opposed to OR) since the hardware update so I'm wondering if there is either a driver issue or a Win 10 update has killed it?

Sorry to hijack your post but just to illustrate running this nearly 20yo program on modern PC's is a lottery sometimes!
    Vern.

Hi Vern,
    I can assure you that MSTS works as well as ever under the latest Windows 10 (1809) I would suspect it's probably a driver issue but cannot confirm it as I don't have a UHD (isn't that something to do with milk??!) monitor.

Cheers,
    Ged

Milk monitor..........hahahahahaha

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    ......UHD (isn't that something to do with milk??!) monitor.

Cheers,
    Ged
    LOL!!!
    I nearly spat my morning coffee out reading that!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks. I have found the directions for W10 installation. I did install Open Rails and it runs.

ROFLOL.

Probably driver related though it did grab the latest Nvidia set when I installed the new graphics card. I only wanted to change an activity on Thames Trent to swap the Class 127 DMU with something a bit more exotic, as I'm actually driving in OR. It just goes to show and again not sure if this helps the OP (who hasn't replied as yet) that just one little DLL out of place will prevent MSTS functioning.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thanks. I have found the directions for W10 installation. I did install Open Rails and it runs.
    Good stuff!
    Enjoy.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Problem is, you still need MSTS up and running to formulate activities etc., unless you are content with those created by other people.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Problem is, you still need MSTS up and running to formulate activities etc., unless you are content with those created by other people.
    Not really needed. There is Goku's activity editor and the ORTS track viewer that can also make paths. Just need to learn how they work.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.