Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reusing OpenRails physics code for model railways use

Parker B.

Hahaha!

Once to taste the Protothrottle coolaide there is no going back my friend. All other controller now seem stupid to me, without exception.

Hell I have to build a steam one for myself so great is the allure of the ProtoThrottle experiance.

Hahahaha!
    Mark

Chris,
    As an interim what about piping the ProtoThrottle code thru a pc with your physics stuff there?

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Yep. One could probably just take that part out if so desired.

I don't own the code of OR. I'm just trying to figure out how to be a bridge between HO-Scale and V-Scale based on what I know. Nobody really owns the Open Rails code, it's a community project, with everyone contributing in some way.
    It's Open Source software, so anyone can download the code and create their own "branch" of the code, as they please.
    I'm not a coder, but anyone with coding experience should be able to download the source code with no problem.

Here's the source link page on the main website: http://openrails.org/download/source/
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Goodmorning Gerry,

I get that I can down load the source code but the problem for me is that I only need the physics and possibly other bits to do with loading loco configuration files into the physics bits. There is 35meg of source there that does rendering motion stuff sounds and all sorts of stuff that I have no idea about nor can I directly use, good as it may be. (I really don’t want to offend anyone here with the words I use)

How do I distille physics out of all that groovy stuff to what will assist I’m making my model trains work like the real deal.

That my friend is a huge dilemma to me.

Mark

Looking at the code, you'll want to focus on the ORTS.Simulation, specifically the Simulation folder, and that's where you should start.

Ignore the MSTS files.

One problem I see is that while Open Rails simulates a train brake and a locomotive brake, DCC and other command control systems only support a brake. (I think we could safely consider that a train brake.)
    Last edited by SD40-2; 01-10-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Ah brakes,

At the moment my steam ProtoThrottle has two brake leavers. Requests have been made for multiple brake functions in a decoder. I have my fingers crossed. At worst case I make the same brake software operate for both of the leavers, sort of a or gate type of thing.

We do have one functing brake for most decoder brands at the moment though. One does get by quite nicely though brakes are an area where there is room for improvement.
    Mark

ORTS.simulation, now there is a tip from heaven, thankyou.
    Last edited by Markstaffrld; 01-10-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Missed a bit

I know what I’m doing for the rest of today.

Um, is there something wrong?

Also, I should get something out of the way. I'm a diesel man, in every sense. I have more diesels than steam, but I'm not a fan of the ultra modern diesels. I tend to focus on railroading from 1960s to 1990s. My future HO layout will be set in the 1990s on the ATSF.

I do like steam though, and have a few locos for when I want to do steam.

EDIT: I've been looking over the thread on MRH, I'd like to clarify things.

Open Rails uses Engine files created by other people and tend to be subject to copyrights. Because the ProtoThrottle code is open source, new engine files would probably have to be created for each locomotive. Engine files are still a great idea, and could be tied to a specific decoder address.

Somewhere, I think we left V-Scale, and moved to HO scale... I'll let one of the actual OR developers speak if they'd like to.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 01-10-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Also, there's parameters in a typical MSTS/OR engine file that would be completely useless in HO, such as engine size and light positions.

Something wrong. No not here. You pointing me to the code is great. Wonderful. Terrific, magnificent. You get it that I’m a happy man?

Once I work out a viewer I’m going to see what is what, or at least try. I’m sure I can get a flavour of what is going on anyway. As to clarifying stuff like copyrighted content. I’m sure we have a lot to learn along the way. But just looking at it and working out how one goes about doing this or that is a steep learning curve, especially dummies like me. ProtoThrottle sort of has engine “configs” that setup cv’s etc.

To add more is a extension of what is there. One question will come up and that is resources in the Protothrottle hardware May be overwhelmed by this stuff. But we need to cross one bridge at a time.

I figure finding out what can and cannot be used will be part of that learning curve. But on the other hand having capabilities that are not as yet implemented in HO Scale (I model O Scale by the way) is not a bad thing at all. If it’s there someone just may be inclined to make that feature functional. More power to them. Sorry about the pun buddy.

Anyway, I’m back to code, or at least look.

Have a good night
    Mark