Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BLWZT set: CNJ 1970's Southern Division with SD35's (and more)

Default New BLWZT set: CNJ 1970's Southern Division with SD35's (and more)

I've been remiss at showing off what I've been working on. Time to fix that . . .

I got inspired by Mark's activities for the Jersey Coast and at his request have been working on a pack set in the 1972-76 era when CNJ sent its fairly new SD35's in that direction. This will be suitable for the Steve's Blue Comet route, or perhaps the PRR route. Tristate rails as well (just a few years earlier). It will be heavy with hopper and covered hoppers for sand, but the rest of the set will be a period representation of the time with cars mostly from northeast railroads.

My original goal was this was going to be a "lighter" cheaper set to show off Max's painting of the CNJ SD35's. But as I got into it, and with Mark's advice, I have found myself making quite a number of cars. The roster of cars is designed to fill out the regular freight, JS-1 and it's counterpart that ran on the Southern Division, as well as the various locals ("drills").

The B&O set is almost done as far as freight cars are concerned and needs a little more attention to locomotives. It will come.

Christopher

Always eager for more CNJ.

Starting off with covered hoppers.

By the 1970's covered hoppers were the largest car type on the through freight, JS-1, carrying sand from South Jersey.

There were a fair bit of the Pullman built 2 bay PS-2 hoppers. I've made five:

CNJ-LO-70T-PS2.jpg
    Last edited by conductorchris; 01-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.

I am delighted to work with Chris on the upcoming BLW/ZT 1970's CNJ set. Both Chris and Max are making a hell of a set for the CNJ's final years of operations.

Not only is the set great for Steve Durham's Blue Comet Lines Route and the Mega PRR-ER route. The set will be great with Teemu's Newark and Jersey City Route, Richard Shirey's L&HE v4.0 Route, any version of the Lehigh Valley Route & even for the Tristate Project route when it is released one day to the public. I have a lot of base layouts for activities for the set done for the Blue Comet Route, with just adding the new motive power and rolling stock both playable & static when they are complete.

Famous "Sand Extras" on the Southern Division of the early 1970's with both premix & bulk sand trains heading up to North Jersey for the construction of the Meadowlands Sports Complex (Giant's Stadium, Horse Racetrack & Hoffa's Grave ) & numerous highway projects will be included. But numerous other activities for the Blue Comet Route (At first) like:

For the NY&LB:
    The Bay Head Turn, The Paperboy (Newsprint to the Asbury Park Press @ Bradley Beach), Lily Drill (Lily Cup Co. @ Holmdel), The Carborundum Company CNJ-LV interchange @ Keasbey to name a few.

Other Branch Lines:
    Barnegat Branch: NJ Pulverizing (To 1972) @ Pinewald, Trilco Terminal @ Toms River, Lacey Lumber (To 1969) @ Forked River, Toms River Chemical (Ciba-Giegy) @ Toms River & GPU Nuclear (To 1969) @ Forked River.

Seashore Branch: IFF @ Hazlet, Kerr Glass & Atco Tile @ Keyport.

E&PA (Now known as the Chemical Coast Secondary): Numerous drills for all refineries between Port Reading to Linden plus drills for all local industries like Singer @ Elizabeth plus more.

Southern Division: Both JS-1 & SJ-2, switching out local industries on the SD like Level Line Windows, Builder's Supply, Glen Rock Lumber @ Lakewood, NAS Lakehurst, Standard Roofing @ Lakehurst, Excel Products, Thermax @ Farmingdale and other local businesses. Plus interchange with the P-RSL at Winslow Junction.

This set will breath even more life into a great freeware route. plus for the other routes I have mentioned above. I think you will all love the set if you love NJ and PA railroading.
    I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

This set is only happening because of the inspiration from Mark. Thanks for your good words. Also three cheers for Rick who is every bit a part of this team and made the majority of freight car shapes - the balance of which come from Gaetan.

I'm closing in on getting done with this. No commitments and surely it will be more than a month (or even months - I don't move fast), but much of it is done at this point.

However there is still time to take requests and feedback.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by trs666 View Post
    Always eager for more CNJ.
    Yes!

There will be a little Penn Central mixed in too . . .

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post

I'm closing in on getting done with this.
    Really, Chris? Are we ever really done?

(This is a running joke with the three of us.... Every once in a while we look back at the start dates of these projects.... Always a surprise! May 1, 2016 for this one )

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    However there is still time to take requests and feedback.

Well that is a sweet little unit. I think it is a bit afield from the 1970's Southern Division CNJ.