Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BLWZT set: CNJ 1970's Southern Division with SD35's (and more)

In her previous life, before going to the East Penn:
    BRW 57 2-9-91.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rosssweet View Post

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Well that is a sweet little unit. I think it is a bit afield from the 1970's Southern Division CNJ.
    I agree in what you say Chris. But I agree with Ross in the fact that the East Penn is a sweet road & is my favorite shortline today. The fact that they took ownership of the NYSW's three GP18 units back in 2010. Those three units hold a dear place in my heart because I rode in 1800, 1802 & 1804 so many times between Outwater Lane in Garfield to Passaic Jct. Those were great times.Now back to the topic...…………...
    I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

I had to remember how to do the larger format . . .
    Thanks to those who taught me.

Default ACF 2 bay CNJ covered hopper for sand & cement & other products

Rick made a modification of the above design to represent the late fifties edition of the 70 ton 2003 cuft acf built 2 bay covered hopper that is missing the missing rib that is prominent on Pullman built cars.

Attached Images Attached Images

And now a batch of covered hoppers built in the late forties/early fifties by Bethlehem for CNJ. These cars had the old style square hatches and a smaller capacity which made them shorter in height, but had other design characteristics more like later Pullman PS2 cars. No cutouts. They lasted into the seventies.

The Bethlehem CH's played such an important part of those "Sand Extra" trains. Lots of premix concrete loads graced these cars & plain bulk sand to North Jersey in the construction of the Meadowlands Sports Complex (Giant's Stadium, Horse Racing Track then later The Meadowlands Arena) & various road & highway projects to lead to the complex. The Sand Extras ran into the Conrail era to the late 1970's.

A lot of these cars met the torch after that time. Being the hoppers were in such bad shape just before Conrail. The ones in better shape got some quick repairs by Conrail to keep them going. They are going to be right at home rolling behind those SD35's Chris.

In 1967, CNJ ordered these 100 ton hoppers for the sand business in southern New Jersey. I can't think of another railroad besides CNJ that had full length two bay cylindrical covered hoppers. They went to Conrail and then CSX.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    In 1967, CNJ ordered these 100 ton hoppers for the sand business in southern New Jersey. I can't think of another railroad besides CNJ that had full length two bay cylindrical covered hoppers. They went to Conrail and then CSX.
    These are really a treat. You really had the live in NJ to see these cars on a consist. Thought at times they could be caught on a CNJ train coming from PA. They worked a lot on the former LNE lines in PA to the cement companies that the LNE use to service. But after March, 1972 when the CNJ ceased all operations in PA, their mainstay was the Southern Division working Clayton Sand, the Glidden Site and all the silica sand companies down towards Bridgeton. These Class CC12A built by the North American Car Company were one of the last hi-lights of the CNJ of the final 10 years.

Some more of those old short Bethlehem 2 bay covered hoppers that made it onto the CNJ. Possibly used by CNJ in sand service, possibly just bringing commodities to CNJ customers.
    CNJ was controlled by Reading until 1967 and Reading in turn was controlled by B&O. B&O trains ran right into CNJ's Jersey City Terminal and Reading was a major CNJ interchange partner at Allentown and elsewhere. So their rolling stock was frequently seen.