Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BLWZT set: CNJ 1970's Southern Division with SD35's (and more)

The CNJ leased covered hoppers from N&W for sand use. A lot of N&W cars were leased by CNJ actually. Some had CNJ markings, but not these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This was built in 1958 for Nickle Plate but by the late sixties was leased to CNJ by Norfolk & Western.

Another N&W car seen along the CNJ Southern Division:
    This one was used to load fish meal at various team tracks. Good thing open rails doesn't simulate smell.

I don't want to let Chris have ALL the fun. As part of this set, Chris asked me to do a few Alco RS3s that were common to the Southern Division in the 1970's... I thought this would be easy, but CNJ is more individualized than the New Haven, and that's saying something! The first three are 1545, 1549 and 1550, which required 3 different models....

CNJ 1545 - First gen RS3, steam generator removed, unlike the other two was apparently never equipped with trainlighting equipment.

CNJ 1549 - Third gen RS3, steam generator and trainlighting equipment (box on the walkway) still evident into the 70's.

CNJ 1550 - Third gen RS3, steam generator and trainlighting equipment removed (note the notch in the radiator shutters where the box was).

...and I still have to do the green livery and the red livery!

Two more: Five loco's, four different Fanim shapes

CNJ leased all kinds of covered hoppers from various sources for the sand trade, including Genesee & Wyoming Ry, between 1973-76:
    (orange center flow covered hoppers showed up as well as covered hopper conversions of old offset hoppers).

This Cargill Salt covered hopper was photographed in Lakehurst. So I included it. I have a suspicion there were more and I wonder if they were used for sand service in the off season when salt wasn't being moved.

A lot of Penn Central covered hoppers were on the CNJ Southern Division. I assume they were used for sand and maybe also inbound commodities to the chemical company at Tom's River.
    Here is a Penn Central PS2:

Note the car shape upgrade from previous BLW/ZT releases: the open end with bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    The CNJ leased covered hoppers from N&W for sand use. A lot of N&W cars were leased by CNJ actually. Some had CNJ markings, but not these.
    Chris, the N&W has a policy about other railroads putting their marks or logos on their leased equipment. The CNJ leased a few F-Units from the N&W too. Mostly used on the W&N and High Bridge Branch but did venture south a few times. They put a small logo on the nose & changed number on 2 of them along with some leased cars. The N&W got wind of it and was not too pleased. So the F-units got put back to their original state but I know a few of the cars did retain the newer report marks.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    This Cargill Salt covered hopper was photographed in Lakehurst. So I included it. I have a suspicion there were more and I wonder if they were used for sand service in the off season when salt wasn't being moved.
    Chris, these weren't just seasonal. A lot of these salt hoppers made their was down to Vineland for use at the Progresso Foods plant, also for a lot of the many fish packing plants down toward Mauricetown & Bivalve.
    - Mark -