Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Auto Paint miles of ROW in seconds...

Hi Scott,

Great thread here. I installed TSRE5 the other day and after looking around trying to get familiar with it I think I'm ready to give auto paint a shot. My question has been asked in this thread by peacockg. What about the snow terrtex .ace files. Once you start painting several tiles it looks like they all get renamed the same way Mosaic does it. This may be a question for GokuMK. Is there an easy way to do the snow textures like the summer or once the summer textures are finished and saved do you have to go into the snow folder and pick and rename the .ace's individually?

Thanks
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by kennyeaton View Post
    Hi Scott,

Great thread here. I installed TSRE5 the other day and after looking around trying to get familiar with it I think I'm ready to give auto paint a shot. My question has been asked in this thread by peacockg. What about the snow terrtex .ace files. Once you start painting several tiles it looks like they all get renamed the same way Mosaic does it. This may be a question for GokuMK. Is there an easy way to do the snow textures like the summer or once the summer textures are finished and saved do you have to go into the snow folder and pick and rename the .ace's individually?

Thanks
    Kenny
    Hi Kenny,

Yeah - snow is a problem - as TSRE doesn't seem to support them - so any tile you paint in summer - is then missing in winter... I was going to create two separate instances of a route - in one instance - copy the snow textures - into the summer - then paint the snow textures... The names should be the same but you would have to be extremely careful on painting the same tiles... Then - I'd combine them when done - I could probably script a solution to compare the tiles and only the tiles that are changed in both routes would be merged... It's cumbersome but not impossible...

I also made a request on Goku's forum to hopefully address this issue in a more elegant manner in TSRE itself... I don't think he's very active at the moment...

Regards,
    Scott

Could swap in/out the desired seasonal terrtex folder after doing both sets, then you wouldn't have to worry about summer and winter being "off" in terms of tiles, yes?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Could swap in/out the desired seasonal terrtex folder after doing both sets, then you wouldn't have to worry about summer and winter being "off" in terms of tiles, yes?
    Hi Neil,

Hmm - if I understand correctly - I don't think that would work - I think the TERRTEX name is recorded in the world tile file itself - so if the name is defined in the tile and you're missing the texture it's going to be blank...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 07-31-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Hi Scott,
    ... but the Terrtex folder has a Snow sub-folder which contains files with the same name as in the main folder! I'm sure that's what Neil was referring to, so it will work, so long as the files have identical names.

Cheers,
    Ged

I suppose you could do up your summer set of textures, save them all to another location, make a winter set of textures based on the summer ones, and then put those into terrtex/snow before restoring the summer set to the terrtex folder

This is what I essentially did with Mosaic for years, in order to customize seasonal terrains.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the input. This is what I am doing. The Pocahontas District. I made a new folder for Open Rails only. C:Open Rails Global Routes Trains/Open Rails MSTS/containing global, routes, sound, and trains. I went back to the MSTS routes folder and copied the Pocahontas route changing the name to Pokey Snow. Dropped it in the routes folder C:Open Rails Global Routes Trains. Once there I went in and copied all of the snow terrtex aces into the main folder. Using TSRE5 I went in to the Pocahontas District and took off with auto paint 20 or so miles and saved. Then I went into the Pokey Snow route as it now opens with the winter terrtex aces. Auto painted the same 20 or so miles and it renamed the patches the same as the Pocahontas District. Now, closing out the route editor, I went back to the C: Open Rails Global Routes Trains/Open Rails MSTS/Routes/PokeySnow/terrtex and selected and copied all the new aces and pasted them into C: Open Rails Global Routes Trains/Open Rails MSTS/Routes/PocahontasDistrict/Terrtex/Snow. This works perfect until there is a fix for this in the route editor.

Again, thank you for the input

Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kennyeaton View Post
    Kenny
    Hi Kenny,

Happy to help and it looks like you're well on your way... Yeah - I hope Goku addresses this at some point - there's really no reason not to have painted ROW now - enjoy...

Regards,
    Scott

I'd really like ORTS to address it with dynamic snow to cover up the normal textures....