Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Paint miles of ROW in seconds...

Default Auto Paint miles of ROW in seconds...

Hi Folks,

RE: [F2] [Load] [Texture] - Select Brush and Size.

Now I get it !!!

For a long time I've been asking Goku to give us the ability to paint ROW faster - as the only way I knew how to do it was [ctrl][click] on each and every track piece... When it was brought up and discussed - several people kept mentioning - no - just paint between track nodes - in my infinite wisdom - I thought they meant to just continue what I was doing and to [ctrl][click] on each and every track piece - as it was fast enough... Pretty tedious even though it's certainly light years better than using Mosaic to perform the task...

DOH - what a difference a day makes...

Now imagine my surprise - when I accidentally [right clicked] near some track and this new little window popped up [Auto Paint] - - - hmm - - - wonder what that would do ?? Low and behold the last choice on the list is track nodes - - - and as soon as I clicked on it - my ROW texture magically materialized underneath the track for as far as the eye can see... Holy crap - this isn't your Dad's old Route Editor !!!

Goku - you're a bloody genius - thank you so very much for this amazing feature... I'll never drive a train on a route with an unpainted ROW again... So simple a caveman could do it... Woohoo !!!

Auto Paint.jpg

Regards,
    Scott

Scott, Very interesting discovery. I was wondering if such a utility existed in TSRE5.

Is there any way to draw a grid or box to do perfect texturing under buildings? A way to restrict the brushes to a confined space in order to make perfect squares or rectangles like a transfer file for texturing under buildings would be a God send. The idea could work for circles and triangles. etc.

Robert

Default Auto Paint miles of ROW in seconds...

Hi Robert,

I forgot to mention the menu in question comes up with a [rigjt click] on the mouse...

Yep - buildings are covered and works fine... Just use the “selected object” option...

Doesn’t work on “transfers” unfortunately - the route I’m working on has a tone of those and I’m painting crop textures in the mesh instead...

I have a hard time with straight lines - myself - I’ve tried the ruler but it’s still less than ideal...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting Scott. I do hope these features are developed further.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Interesting Scott. I do hope these features are developed further.

Robert
    Hi Robert,

I do as well - the freedom to paint the mesh opens so many doors to add some real pop to routes... LOL - I still chuckle every time I see my ROW texture appear for as far as the eye can see - on a single mouse click...

Regards,
    Scott

Exclamation Auto_paint Output Ace File Size.

I've tried this. Works very well once I got the width set right.

Thing is it generates a lot of new terrtex ace files, several hundred just doing some local work around Lewistown Pa. maybe 8 miles of track row painted as a test. These 285 new ace files were all 771 KB.

Unfortunately using any version of Route_Riter so far I have been unable to do a global DXT1 compress these new ace files and I spent many hours yesterday getting maybe half of them done manually, one at a time. Pain . . .Route size is probably a factor.

I have tried splitting the terrtex folder but no joy.
    The method that worked so well compressing the terrtex on Austin Yoder's Horseshoe Curve route does not work.

I have put a request in at Goku's new site asking if it were possible to have the TSRE user select a compression type (24bit, ZLIB, or DXT1) used for the Auto-Paint output ace files.

Manual compression gets the 771KB files down to 140KB, a big saving that I do need for the route for distribution.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 01-23-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hi Vince...

Hah - come now - 771K - mere child's play - my 1024x1024 ACE's are coming in at 3MB a piece...

I could swear I saw someone on Elvas post about using 4096x4096 - I could be mistaken...

As you mentioned previously - this may become problematic... If it's just space - disks are cheap - we'll see... Figuring on quadrupling the route size with custom Terrtex... I have no plans on tackling anything on the scale of your epic routes - we'll see how it goes...

Anyone tried converting to DDS files for this purpose - will they work in ORTS ?

Yeah - I'm actually painting two tone row - a dirt base - then the ballast - size 30 then 22 respectively - looks pretty darn good...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm concerned about the distribution download size only.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thing is it generates a lot of new terrtex ace files, several hundred just doing some local work around Lewistown Pa. maybe 8 miles of track row painted as a test. These 285 new ace files were all 771 KB.

Unfortunately using any version of Route_Riter so far I have been unable to do a global DXT1 compress these new ace files and I spent many hours yesterday getting maybe half of them done manually, one at a time. Pain . . .Route size is probably a factor.

I have tried splitting the terrtex folder but no joy.
    The method that worked so well compressing the terrtex on Austin Yoder's Horseshoe Curve route does not work.

I have put a request in at Goku's new site asking if it were possible to have the TSRE user select a compression type (24bit, ZLIB, or DXT1) used for the Auto-Paint output ace files.

Manual compression gets the 771KB files down to 140KB, a big saving that I do need for the route for distribution.

regards,
    Hi Vince,
    Check the tips&tricks thread, where I wrote down a solution for batch compressing the painted terrtex files.

Hi Scott,

I'm concerned about the distribution download size only.

regards,
    Hi Vince,

Understood - was just joking with you...

Regards,
    Scott