Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Paint miles of ROW in seconds...

Hi Scott
    You have got me interested in this Auto Paint ROW function.
    I see from your image that you have a grey texture under the rails, and between the sleepers (are they ties in the US?). What texture are you painting there?
    Before you painted the texture did the track have a texture or did the ground texture show through?
    Also what does it look like in Snow?
    Garry

Hi Garry,

Sorry - the image I posted was just a how to on the "before" - I didn't show the after...

The ballast Paul chose for his route appears to be a river rock - so I tried to match it's look - makes a big difference...

Since it's so easy to paint - I use a two texture ROW - dirt first at size 30 first - then ballast at size 22 on top...

It's all trial and error - adjusting to your personal taste - it's super simple to try textures - then replace of you don't like it... Find something you like before doing large chunks... You want "seamless" textures so they blend together without edges... Just search for "seamless dirt texture" or "seamless gravel texture" there's plenty out there for free... You may need to adjust for scale in an image editor - as the stones for ballast need to be miniscule to work with these resolutions... I'm using 1024x1024 textures to paint with and I'm applying them to my base 1024x1024 Terrtex tiles... The images you paint with assume the resolution of the underlying Terrtex texture...

Here's the after shots...

Regards,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottb613; 01-26-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peacockg View Post
    Hi Scott
    You have got me interested in this Auto Paint ROW function.
    I see from your image that you have a grey texture under the rails, and between the sleepers (are they ties in the US?). What texture are you painting there?
    Before you painted the texture did the track have a texture or did the ground texture show through?
    Also what does it look like in Snow?
    Garry

Hi Garry,

A close up for good measure...

Regards,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottb613; 01-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Wow Scott. Absolutely amazing!!
    I will say that it depresses me a bit. My artistic skills are at the level of a 4 year old, so I find "painting" a bit daunting.
    I will do a search for some textures and see how I get on.

I love the rock face on the right in Ballast2.

Garry

Default Auto Paint miles of ROW in seconds...

Hi Garry,

Bah - it’s super easy - it’s actually kind of fun - give it a shot - it’s so worth it - really - not much skill required... The results are immediate and can be quite dramatic... The rock face on the cliffs took all of 60 seconds - pick a texture you like and spray away... The rock texture is just a “seamless rock texture” I found online - unedited - drop it on AceIt to convert to an ACE - then place the ACE in your Terrtex directory... I preface all my custom textures with my initials so they are all grouped together and easy to find... I’d recommend using at least 1024x1024 on all your base Terrtex - makes the painted ACE size about 3MB a tile - you can compress them when done so they take up less space if desired... I’m painting all the shorelines, cliffs, ROW, roads, and crop fields on the mesh...

Any questions - just give me a shout - more than happy to help...

This is a complete game changer in ORTS...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 01-27-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Hi Scott
    This 4 year old artist has just changed his track ballast from brown to grey. Then I have created a grey ballast.ace to use and I am experimenting with that.
    My results with snow have not been successful so far. I think that OR is displaying the generic OR snow terrtex file and I have a sharp line between track and ground. But I have some thoughts on this so will play with it tomorrow.
    So far I have not been brave enough to try this on my actual route, just on the test route.
    Thanks
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    drop it on AceIt to convert to an ACE - then place the ACE in your Terrtex directory... I preface all my custom textures with my initials so they are all grouped together and easy to find... I’d recommend using at least 1024x1024 on all your base Terrtex - makes the painted ACE size about 3MB a tile - you can compress them when done so they take up less space if desired...
    For painting you can just use png or jpg files. No need for conversions.
    But auto conversion to ace file for putting textures sometimes doesn't work, so to avoid possible errors, maybe it's better when you use only ace files.
    While painting TSRE will always scale base texture to 512x512 pixels. So, 1024x1024 is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by peacockg View Post
    Hi Scott
    This 4 year old artist has just changed his track ballast from brown to grey. Then I have created a grey ballast.ace to use and I am experimenting with that.
    My results with snow have not been successful so far. I think that OR is displaying the generic OR snow terrtex file and I have a sharp line between track and ground. But I have some thoughts on this so will play with it tomorrow.
    So far I have not been brave enough to try this on my actual route, just on the test route.
    Thanks
    Garry
    Hi Garry,

Sounds like a perfect way to start... I used to attempt similar in Mosaic - and it was massively time consuming and a royal PITA...

Yeah - just keep looking for seamless textures and grow your collection - I've been doing it for years - see what works and what doesn't...

Best of luck !

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    For painting you can just use png or jpg files. No need for conversions.
    But auto conversion to ace file for putting textures sometimes doesn't work, so to avoid possible errors, maybe it's better when you use only ace files.
    While painting TSRE will always scale base texture to 512x512 pixels. So, 1024x1024 is not required.
    Hi Goku,

Thanks for the clarification - will keep in mind going forward...

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

"RE: [F2] [Load] [Texture] - Select Brush and Size. " ???

I have been trying for a week to get to the point where I can paint without covering a whole tile. The TSRE manual is no help.

(F2) No problem
    (Load) No Problem
    (Texture) No Problem
    - Select Brush and size How ? Where?

Totally Baffled

Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce