Thread: Northern Minnesota Trips - Fall 2018

Default Northern Minnesota Trips - Fall 2018

I took two trips this fall: one is September as a vacation of sorts, and one in October to get my stand ready for hunting season. In September, I spent a lot of time on the Northshore and old LTV lines:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskQWqZnS

On the last day of both trips, I went to the Iron Jct. area and saw an obscene number of trains:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmzewDta

If you don't know why a picture is there, click on it and read the description. All images have them. You can also ask

Nice Pictures of Northern Minnestora Trips especially to see CN trains.

Thank you Ebner for posting your pictures here to share.

John

Thanks for these photos!

Photo 20180915_105106 "Army corps of engineers" - it reminds me Yurya station, where possibly begins track to 8rd Missile division (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-я_ракетная_дивизия), probably it's a track to this ICBM division:

May 2012, Yurya station, new recruits for 8rd division of Russian Strategic Missile Forces. In December 2012 I was conscripted to Russian National Gurad:
    Last edited by Vazyuk; 01-23-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Vladislav

Vladislav,

The Army Corps of Engineers almost certainly handles military engineering projects, but also large projects started by government agencies for civilian use. Things like locks in bodies of water, flood control projects, and they probably maintain navigational aids in the harbor in use today, though the Coast Guard might do that last one

And I really liked photos of overgrown tracks at autumn, as well as guts of signals!
    Vladislav

Great assortment of active railroad shots, and Northwoods scenery, which I always love.
    Sad to see the LTV line in it's derelict state. A legend of the past. I still have fond memories driving along Lake Superior northbound, just after sunrise (in the late 90's, early 2000's) on my way to Thunder bay, and upward into Ontario (Lac De Millac - sp?, near Upsala).
    We'd stop along the highway at various waterfalls that feed from the woods into the lake. Boundry Waters area is superb scenery along the lake!!
    But, when getting to that massive load facility on the water - it was almost spooky! Like something out of the movies Dune or Mad Max..just crazy huge and wild looking when you're up close to it.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

It is unfortunate that LTV's closed, but it's amazing that the line is still there at all, never mind that it's as it was when it closed. There are plans to reopen the mine to extract copper and nickel from a deposit a few miles away. I don't know that the railroad will be reopened, but I have my doubts. Ironically, the LTV dock is one of the newest docks on the lake (and of a genius design, unloading in-motion), and it's already closed