Thread: Making An Object Non-Selectable?

Default Making An Object Non-Selectable?

I was looking for an easy method of transposing a model railway or similar trackplan on the ground in MSTS to work off as a template. the obvious solution is to create a flat object in TSM or 3DC scaled to the plan and place it on the ground. However the problem comes when trying to select any object laid on top of this, without the picker just finding the template instead. Is there any entry in the sd file or similar method that can be temporarily changed to render an object non selectable.

The only other solution would be to create a terrtex patch from the plan and try to stretch that to the correct size, though I can't for the life of me remember how you set up the patches from the ace image!
    Vern.

Here's a thought... maybe place your object just below the terrain and go into wireframe mode?

I'll give that a try Eric, thanks.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I was looking for an easy method of transposing a model railway or similar trackplan on the ground in MSTS to work off as a template. the obvious solution is to create a flat object in TSM or 3DC scaled to the plan and place it on the ground.
    How big is this model railway trackplan?? Bigger or smaller than a single tile, because you could create custom terrtex with the trackplan on it.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Scaled to fit a 1024 x 1024 texture, it is about 840 x 840 metres.

That is quite an interesting suggestion though Chris and I might try that. The other consideration of course, is that it might just be better to work off the plan as a basis and ad hoc from there. Most model plans take liberties with the geometry and you would struggle to accommodate the complex pointwork in the space designated on a real layout. This plan actually dates from 1964 when people were working with even sharper radius points than our current Peco Streamline etc.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Scaled to fit a 1024 x 1024 texture, it is about 840 x 840 metres.
    You will need to understand the scale to 1:1 world. An 18 inch HO curve would translate into a 45 degree curve in MSTS (18 inches * 87 scale = 130.5 ft radius which is railroad degree 45 d 3.5')
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

True Chris which is why it is probably best to use the plan as a basis and not cram it into the original (scaled up) space.

Most plans from the 1960's - 1980's whether US or UK prototype were exceedingly ambitious in what they thought could be put into the designated space. It is widely acknowledged that even plans designed for Peco by the late, great, Cyril Freezer would not all actually have worked.

As regards converting a plan to terrain texture, of course a plan doctored to fit within a 1000m x 1000m area would then have to be broken up into 64 (8 x 8) individual terrtex files for each 125 x 125m square of the RE. Not sure how I could get Paint Shop Pro 7 to do that, or even if I want that much work! Wonder if there might be a way with TSRE's mapping overlay function?
    Vern.

I still think your original "base shape" approach would work easier than trying to do that.

Another thought... markers. Take your image, and bring it into Google Earth as a texture overlay. Scale it, and put it wherever the geo coordinates for your route are centered.

Next, create a KML file with lots of pushpins and use one of the several utilities available to convert that to markers.

I still think your original "base shape" approach would work easier than trying to do that.

Another thought... markers. Take your image, and bring it into Google Earth as a texture overlay. Scale it, and put it wherever the geo coordinates for your route are centered.

Next, create a KML file with lots of pushpins and use one of the several utilities available to convert that to markers.

Bumping my own thread, found a solution to this and the results are quite good:

Started by resizing the image into proportions to fit with MSTS terrain sub grid sizes. In this case to 750m x 750m (which also served to blow up the track plan a bit).

Found an online utility that will split the image into equal parts... https://pinetools.com/split-image

These are downloaded as jpg files which I converted to bmp and resized to 256 x 256 pixels in Paint Shop Pro. Finally converted to ace files and placed in the terrtex folder, In this case 36 individual image files (to match the 125 x 125m sub-grid in the route editor) so a bit of work but definitely worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.