Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern California's Historic Shortline in ORTS

After running around the line, the regular Lombard-Schellville power returns to American Canyon and Lombard Yard. Today though, they had issues with the "lead" unit and so are running around the wye to make CFNR103 the lead unit for tomorrow. At the end, they're going to shove the CFNR108 into the end of Track 3 of the diesel facility so that maintenance can take a look at the issue.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

As I gassed up in American Canyon on the way home, I heard the faint horn of 108 coming out of Jameson Canyon. Knowing they weren't going into the yard today, I ran down to the housing development at the West side of town and then ran to Lombard Bridge and climbed on my truck...The rain started up as I left the gas station, go figure it's California in February!

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Today I caught the the bi-weekly "Wine Shooter" from Healdsburg, CA., to Selkirk, NY. This is the only train that keeps power all the way through from end to end, including into the NWP territory and stored at Santa Rosa, CA. Today I wasn't lucky enough to see it elsewhere as I was headed home from Sacramento, but managed to catch it "cruising" through American Canyon at a whopping 30 MPH...

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Knowing the "Quarry Job" was on duty and ready to go out of Anderson Yard, I headed down to the Quarry at Larkspur and setup. After a while, the signals started tumbling down and the next thing I know, the Quarry Job is blasting out of Cal Park tunnel with 31 empties. After a quick switch job and pulling the loads, the job heads back to Anderson Yard to clear up before the nightly "Redwood" shows up.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Another day, another load of lumber. Today the "Woodchip Local" has left Sausalito Yard and has arrived in Mill Valley to switch out the lumber mill here. After which, the loads they pickup will go to Cloverdale with them to drop off the rest of the empties there, and head to Schellville with the outbound loads.

Image 1) With a lunar back into Mill Valley Lumber, the "Woodchip Local" shoves back past the Alto Platform and into Mill Valley Lumber's yard.

Image 2) The crossing is fully occupied as the "Woodchip Local" shoves down the switching lead to Mill Valley Lumber. The second brakeman is currently getting the second derail at the gate to the lumber yard.

Image 3) The train is well into the lumber yard but is still occupying most of the mainline. Soon enough, it'll clear up as the conductor "complains" about the horrible switch list that Sausalito Yard sent this train out with...Meanwhile, every single signal is red as no paths are currently lined through the CP here.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

The headlights of the detoured G4PA-Z bounce off the fence line along the right of way as the train approaches my uncles house. My uncle is a long time railroader for the S.F. Belt and lives right along the NWP RoW. His is the ONLY house that doesn't have a full board fence across the whole lot, just for us!

In a few short seconds, the interesting headend of the G4PA-Z passes my location and heads towards Sausalito Intermodal Facility. There the cars will be hustled onto the Point Arena (the PA in G4PA), hotshot that leaves town in just under an hour.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

I decided to head South as a rare event happened. The S.F. Belt Railroad was unable to come pick up the cars from the San Francisco Transfer tracks at the end of the NWP/S.M.A.R.T. line, so the NWP sent 2 4-axle loco's down to drag the cars to the S.F. Belt yard and return with the cars meant for the NWP...Here lies the chase!

Image 1) Passing one of the three Starbucks along the Embarcadero, this train of the MAX 40 cars allowed creeps along at 5 MPH. After they cross Market, a whopping 10 MPH is to be had!

Image 2) From near ground level at the Ferry Terminal rail spur, the train is ready to sprint to that 10 MPH and take off!

Image 3) The two units are working hard as they power towards the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and the S.F. Belt Yard just beyond...

Image 4) Passing the Ferry Terminal Starbucks and the Ferry Terminal, this train is bumped up a few notches to reach the 10 MPH speed limit here at the foot of Market.

Image 5) Looking down Market, you can see the Southern Pacific Headquarters platform as the Transfer Train passes by. This is where the "big wigs" of the SP board the train to depart and ride the system bi-annually.

Image 6) I love knowing warehouse owners, you can get some unique shots, like this one looking down the Embarcadero at the Bay Bridge and the train.

Image 7) Knowing they are halfway clear of Market Street with the train itself as they pass under the Bay Bridge, the NWP crew lets the throttle go to stay at the MAX 10 MPH through here.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

I'm lovin' the story, Frank. Makes me wish the SP had gone over the GGB and maintained a connection with their forgotten railroad.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Thanks Joey! This is based off that assumption, that the ESPEE never folded, nor forgot about their Redwood route but instead, expanded it and worked WITH S.M.A.R.T. to get things rolling for them!

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Tonight the S.F. Belt Railroad managed to get their act together and pulled the loads from the NWP Transfer Track and brought them down to their yard at Pier 96 for sorting before heading back out to the Embarcadero after the streetcars were done for the night.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.