Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Northern California's Historic Shortline in ORTS

Continuing with the previous thread, you will see another thread after this as well. We find that the SAEU-M has dropped off 3 cars and swapped power at Petaluma, CA. Left Sausalito at 1900 on the dot, got to Petaluma around 2045 due to traffic and the HPT issues. The best power the NWP had laying around Petaluma was the interchange power left for the next Quarry train. They left on the SAEU-M around 2130.

Image 1) Creeping past the Petaluma Depot, the train has some interchange power up front and will hopefully make better time now!
    Image 2 & 3) Up to track speed with ease the train passes the Petaluma - North Platform at the corner of Corona and N. McDowell Blvd.
    Image 4-6) The train starts to light up & pass the intermediates in Penngrove, CA. That darned CHP (17-Unit) is still sitting here!
    Image 7) Limited Clear & the train takes the "Freight Main" aka Main 3 through Rohnert Park, CA. Here the tracks get rather interesting...
    Image 8) Todd Road and the skies are extra starry in this "away from town" view tonight.
    Image 9) The train is crossing Roseland Creek and entering the "Roseland Complex" as the locals call it. Here you have the wye to Bodega Bay and the Intermodal Facility, along with the P&SR Connection & Yard. I took this snap from the P&SR Engine Lead, which is an old two track bridge.
    Image 10) On the EAST (Compass North) side of the Santa Rosa Downtown Station and around the corner sits the Sonoma County Transit bus yard. I am able to access the yard day or night, and I snapped this through the fence in the back corner as the train creeps by.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Part 3: We find that the SAEU-M has dropped off 3 cars and swapped power at Petaluma, CA. Left Sausalito at 1900 on the dot, got to Petaluma around 2045 due to traffic and the HPT issues. The best power the NWP had laying around Petaluma was the interchange power left for the next Quarry train. They left on the SAEU-M around 2130.

Image 1) The train is back up to almost 35 MPH as Healdsburg has a slower speed through it. Here it is crossing Windsor / Windsor-River Road.
    Image 2 & 3) Starr Road is lit up and crossed as the crew looks at another clear block and a looming 35 MPH zone.
    Image 4 & 5) Crossing the Russian River and East First Street, the train is in the 35 MPH zone of Healdsburg.
    Image 6) I nestled myself in a corner of the Roundabout in Central Healdsburg & pointed my camera due South, RR West.
    Image 7) Same position as image 6, just looking DUE NORTH.
    Image 8) Crossing Geyserville Ave., and Lytton Springs Road. This is my last image of this chase as bed and work were both calling...It was time to grab my gear and head to Schellville to pick up some power.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

The next day, I opted to catch the EUSA-M. Unlucky for me, they kept the interchange power on it back to the NWP. Worse yet, IT WAS LEADING AGAIN!

Image 1) Splitting the signals at Hopland Depot, the train is about to descend the hill between Hopland and Cloverdale.
    Image 2) Looking away at Hopland Depot.
    Image 3) Half the train is on the hill and the other half has just exited the tunnel and entered CP East Cloverdale. I am shooting from an old yard lead.
    Image 4) Asti Road at First Street has a pair of intermediates, primarily to protect the local lumber lead, but also for depot approaches.
    Image 5) The power has cruised through the intermediate and I just barely glimpse the signal over the SLUG unit.
    Image 6) I managed to get across the bike path in Healdsburg as the train was going through the roundabout. Here it is passing me.
    Image 7) The going away shot and massive curve to the Russian River bridge in Healdsburg.
    Image 8) I didn't quite make it in time to catch the lead unit, which I guess is a blessing, as the train blasts over Airport Blvd., in Windsor.
    Image 9) Crossing Windsor Road at Windsor-River Road, the train will see color as it approaches Coffey Park...
    Image 10) Creeping through the Northern industrial area of Santa Rosa, the train has just knocked down the East Santa Rosa signal.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

I really do need to update that 'prepare to stop' beacon...

Still good shots, though. This route looks like it'll be good

I actually like it, especially on the bike paths or short freeway offramps that cross the railroad, of which there are at least 3 if not 5!

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Shortly after the EUSA-M came through, I heard the dispatcher call the UP 7400. It seems to have been captive in "Wine Shooter" trains often, so with this knowledge I went to Healdsburg...Sitting on the 800 track was a set of DPU's and a TRACK FULL of ARMN reefers, known around these parts for being wine storage cars. It wasn't long before UP 7400 and about 30 cars came racing West, clear the CP and shove back, make a hook and depart! I then took chase!

This will be a two part series, as the forums only allow 10 images per post.

Image 1) Sitting on the old turntable lead, the UP7400 crawls past me. At the ped crossing they stop to let off the conductor.
    Image 2) Up around the curve towards the Russian River bridge they go!
    Image 3) Over to the bike trail I went to catch the rear. For reference, this crossing is about half way into the CP.
    Image 4) They cleared the CP, got a restricting back into Healdsburg yard and the conductor has lined the derail and is calling shots from there.
    Image 5) Train has been laced up and the conductor walked back to the headend. The train has thus departed and is crossing East First Street.
    Image 6) Across the Russian River with a full train bound for the East Coast.
    Image 7) There go the DPU's...If I counted right this train is 76 cars deep at a length of about 5,623 feet, just a mere 343 over a mile long!
    Image 8) Airport Blvd., in Windsor is a nice quad crossing protection with ped gates. You have to be REAL STUPID to get past.
    Image 9) Starr Road and the intermediates there show a different story and signal setup, as they are some of the newer "Vader" signals.
    Image 10) Passing Santa Rosa North platform, the train starts to run on some color into Santa Rosa, CA., as the congestion ahead is THICK!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

Shortly after the EUSA-M came through, I heard the dispatcher call the UP 7400. It seems to have been captive in "Wine Shooter" trains often, so with this knowledge I went to Healdsburg...Sitting on the 800 track was a set of DPU's and a TRACK FULL of ARMN reefers, known around these parts for being wine storage cars. It wasn't long before UP 7400 and about 30 cars came racing West, clear the CP and shove back, make a hook and depart! I then took chase!

This is part two.

Image 1) Crossing 6th Street, the UP7400 and today's WINE SHOOTER works on a diverging approach diverging.
    Image 2) The UP7400 is almost up to 3rd Street, as it clears the FREIGHT BYPASS with a diverging clear.
    Image 3 & 4) I skipped up the bike/ATV trail to Roseland Wye, where I captured these two images after the UP7400 waited on Main 4 for a few trains to clear up. This is where the railroad goes from 4 mains to 2 mains again.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

Forgive me for being forgetful, as I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but what are the total extents of your route? I Know you have SF to the south, and around Suisun, but for clarifying purposes (if you ever get around to clearing up the payware items on your route, I would love to have this - and it would free up a route on my to-do list: the NWP from Suisun to Ukiah. Right now I'm still trudging slowly along on my Sacramento Valley Route, and eventually plan to get the Bay Area and San Joaquin Valley off my plate.) could you please remind me?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Quote Originally Posted by demando View Post
    Forgive me for being forgetful, as I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but what are the total extents of your route? I Know you have SF to the south, and around Suisun, but for clarifying purposes (if you ever get around to clearing up the payware items on your route, I would love to have this - and it would free up a route on my to-do list: the NWP from Suisun to Ukiah. Right now I'm still trudging slowly along on my Sacramento Valley Route, and eventually plan to get the Bay Area and San Joaquin Valley off my plate.) could you please remind me?
    No worries! I have HOPLAND-SF. Santa Rosa to Bodega Bay, then South to Petaluma (P&SR). Ignacio Wye in Novato to Jameson Canyon outside American Canyon, Town Of. Just remember, 99% of this route is FICTIONAL. I can guarantee the track nor its exact location lines up to the real world. If it does, it's a complete coincidence! I think the ONLY accurate area, to real life, would be the American Canyon Wye and it's immediate tracks for about 50' each way!

So take that as you will.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

The noon departure from Healdsburg - Dry Creek is right on time as this manifests cools its heels just shy of Parkland Farms Dr....

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.