Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern California's Historic Shortline in ORTS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Nice to see somebody working on the south end (south of Ukiah) of the NWP, or at least something with that flavor.

The final version of the North Coast route in the library covers the north end nicely, with good scenery, from Ukiah to Eureka/Arcata with a few branches - 1980s/90s era but if certain scenery features are ignored (freeways etc. that were built in the 1950s-70s) it could easily be used for earlier scenarios.

A "south end" route could have many possibilities for era. Big track changes for NWP occurred mainly in the late 1930s (when the narrow gage and southern Marin 3rd-rail traction lines shut down after the GG Bridge opened; Marin freight service continued though the 1970s), 1950s-60s (Sonoma Valley tracks went away, end of passenger service south of Willits), 1970s (P&SR and Tiburon branches torn up, end of all passenger service), 1980s-90s (probably the nadir, with total shutdown by the late 1990s), and late 2010s (new-NWP short line freight and SMART commuter DMUs, restoring Marin passenger service to San Rafael and (soon) Larkspur ferry terminal).
    I hate to spoil things, but for now due to all the extra payware, etc., used in the route it is not going anywhere other than my machine...It's mostly for fun.

As I mentioned earlier, it is IF things didn't go "south" for the NWP. In this version, the route is at minimum 2 MAIN CTC, with jaunts of 4 MAIN CTC for "commute" times. It also has two big intermodal yards, WINERY galore, including a mixed NVRR/NWP "Wine Train" up the "old" Sonoma Branch. Stations include but are not limited to, SF - Ghirardelli Sq.; SF - GGB Toll Plaza; Sausalito Lateral; Corte Madera & Larkspur; Kentfield; San Anselmo Hub; Stinson Beach (don't ask!); San Rafael; Novato; Gnoss Field (x2); Petaluma; Santa Rosa; Cloverdale & Hopland with intermediate stops as well.

EDIT: Seen attached is a local working Healdsburg Station, while another day the same consist is departing Chateau St. Jean Winery just outside the Alexander Valley.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Open Rails 2019-01-26 09-20-50.jpg
    Open Rails 2019-01-28 08-01-46.jpg
    Last edited by fchrist16; 01-28-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

it should be possible to upload the route is you leave out the payware shape and ace files. This has been done with the majority of the routes that have been uploaded. Any files that in the original MSTS routes were left out and added when the route was installed. Anybody the has the payware shapes and ace files would be able to add them and those that didn't would be able to use substitutes or purchase the payware containing the needed files.
    Regards,

Eric

Thanks Eric for the suggestion. With the amount of payware that I originally loaded this route up with, it would take 3 days to "weed" it out, and about a day for someone to download and install/copy the files needed...Maybe in the future I can whittle that list of items from payware down, but for now...It's a teaser!

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

The Western Pacific Historical Society (WPRM) ran one of their trains across the ex-WP system and parts of the BNSF and other shortlines. Seen here, the train with WP701 leading, heads Westbound (Compass South) from Cloverdale to Santa Rosa. This train actually went all the way North to Eureka, where it turned around to come back into the S.F. Bay.

Image 1) Stopped at Cloverdale Depot for a crew change and bus load of passengers, the 701 cools its heels.
    Image 2) At a whooping 65 MPH, the WP701 and WPRM train cruises past the vineyards of Alexander Valley and Chateau St. Jean.
    Image 3) Healdsburg, CA., & the train is cruising past the depot gaining speed after the speed reduction through Downtown Healdsburg.
    Image 4) Crossing 6th Street in Santa Rosa, CA., the train is arriving at the Depot. Approach Restricting was the signal in today.
    Image 5) The WPRM train is all stopped and all red at West Santa Rosa as passengers get off to explore the old town area during the 30 minute layover here.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Open Rails 2019-01-28 02-33-36.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-28 02-38-24.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-28 02-42-11.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-28 02-53-07.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-28 02-57-06.jpg
    Frank C.

Quote Originally Posted by fchrist16 View Post
    I hate to spoil things, but for now due to all the extra payware, etc., used in the route it is not going anywhere other than my machine...It's mostly for fun.

As I mentioned earlier, it is IF things didn't go "south" for the NWP. In this version, the route is at minimum 2 MAIN CTC, with jaunts of 4 MAIN CTC for "commute" times. It also has two big intermodal yards, WINERY galore, including a mixed NVRR/NWP "Wine Train" up the "old" Sonoma Branch. Stations include but are not limited to, SF - Ghirardelli Sq.; SF - GGB Toll Plaza; Sausalito Lateral; Corte Madera & Larkspur; Kentfield; San Anselmo Hub; Stinson Beach (don't ask!); San Rafael; Novato; Gnoss Field (x2); Petaluma; Santa Rosa; Cloverdale & Hopland with intermediate stops as well.

EDIT: Seen attached is a local working Healdsburg Station, while another day the same consist is departing Chateau St. Jean Winery just outside the Alexander Valley.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Open Rails 2019-01-26 09-20-50.jpg
    Open Rails 2019-01-28 08-01-46.jpg
    Understand the availability limitations. Still, I'd love to even get the basic topography and tracks, assuming that the rest of the scenery I'd have to add myself. There's a certain poster at Altamont Press using "synonymouse" who's always ragging on BART conspiracy theories including NWP-SMART going into SF; would be great fun to troll the Mouse with some screenshots of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Understand the availability limitations. Still, I'd love to even get the basic topography and tracks, assuming that the rest of the scenery I'd have to add myself. There's a certain poster at Altamont Press using "synonymouse" who's always ragging on BART conspiracy theories including NWP-SMART going into SF; would be great fun to troll the Mouse with some screenshots of that.
    Oh I'm sure it would be fun to troll that mouse! Yes my route does go across the "lower deck" of the GGB and dead ends at Ghirardelli Square, with a connection to MUNI and some industries served by SF BELT Railroad. After MUNI's F-Line quits for the night, the SF Belt services the customers and then half go "North" with the NWP's morning train and the other half go "South" to San Jose.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Just to tease some more with a more "scenic" view of Marin County specifically. The Mt. Tamalpais Railway aka "The Crookedest Railroad on Earth" is "adapted" to be included in this route. In this version, the route is actually a full 8% grade most of the way and requires TWO shay engines to pull the 4 gravity cars up the hill on most days. Here are 10 preview images of the route from Mill Valley Depot to Summit.

Image 1) Leaving Mill Valley Depot on a full head of steam, the train is under clear skies as the 2 shay engines and 4 gravity cars depart for Mt. Tam summit.

Image 2 & 3) Two views on two different switchbacks show the shays hard at working pulling the 8% grade.

Image 4) Crossing the SECOND plateau bridge, the shays relax for a minute before assaulting the final two switchbacks to the summit.

Image 5) Just across the second bridge, the shays leave nothing but a cloud of steam over the gravity cars.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Open Rails 2019-01-31 08-42-41.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-46-16.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-47-48.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-48-57.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-49-22.jpg
    Frank C.

Image 1) It's starting to get foggy as the train traverses the second to last switchback.

Image 2) The fog has definitely encroached on the train as it slips on the wet rails going up the last switchback.

Image 3) The MTRY #4 slips out of the fog and into the camera view as the climb towards the summit starts to lessen.

Image 4) Looking the other way now, you can no longer see the shays & one of the gravity cars is just barely out of view.

Image 5) Having reached the summit of Mt. Tamalpais (Mt. Tam), the gravity cars are pulled into the siding and the shays disconnect, run-around onto the main and head back down the hill to Mill Valley to grab the next set of gravity cars which has been put to board already.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Open Rails 2019-01-31 08-49-43.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-53-52.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-55-14.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 08-55-34.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 09-05-08.jpg
    Frank C.

Once a week, usually Wednesday, the NWP runs a "local" for the Mt. Tam Railway. They bring in 4 GP9's along with 7 loads, grind the rails all the way to summit with new supplies. They then pull the empties from the previous week and head back down to Mill Valley. They then pick up 4 gravity cars to take back to the Sausalito Yard to be re-braked.

Images 1-5) The NWP "Tam Local" makes its way up around the switchbacks at notch 8 with 7 loads today.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Open Rails 2019-01-31 12-56-18.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 12-57-48.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 12-58-12.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 12-58-41.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 01-02-30.jpg
    Frank C.

Image 1) Going through the last MAJOR switchback, the NWP "Tam Local" crosses under Bolinas-Fairfax Road.

Image 2-4) Reaching the summit the "Tam Local" cools its heels into the tail track, before shoving back into the load-in track. After a good air set, the NWP engines and crew head for the bottom with no empties to take back down today.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Open Rails 2019-01-31 01-03-14.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 01-04-37.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 01-38-45.jpgOpen Rails 2019-01-31 01-39-56.jpg
    Frank C.