Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Mark, I managed to locate an old thread of mine with the pictures of what I was working on for NJT.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...light=NJT+unit

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Mark, I managed to locate an old thread of mine with the pictures of what I was working on for NJT.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...light=NJT+unit

Robert
    They all look great Robert. And you are so right about the sound of the Bluebirds. That sound when they were idling from the prime mover shaft powering the HEPE generator. Then that throttle-up and that shotgun blast of flame and smoke on their acceleration. Was a great time in Jersey railroading.
    - Mark -

Default The Blue Comet Lines Route REDUX UPDATE 09/04/2019 - Seashore Branch ROW

I figured over the long holiday weekend I take some runs on the BCL-Redux to just have some fun. Ran some PRSL runs, A couple of 1967 commuter runs from JC to Bay Head. Then ran a Highlands turn on the Seashore Branch to see some of the work I did over the last week or so.

I love the way it is coming along but I got the feeling that something was missing. So I went back my library of CNJ books & vids and I found it. The ROW was looking too good. When the CNJ discountinued passenger service back in 1966, besides ridingship in was the roadbed no longer could handle even 40MPH. In fact in places the Budd RDCs use to be restricted to 10 MPH. Then in 1973 when they embargoed the line for freight to the IFF (NATCO) plant in Hazlet, most of the ROW was at 10MPH, 5MPH in some places. So I figured I had to look into this and I found it.

Thank you to Shawn Kelley Jr. & his great NE Track Textures in the D/L library here for allowing me to use them in the upgrade here. His missing ballast & rusty rail textures are so perfect for this. Because of the era, they do if perfect for all the lines in this route. Even the NY&LB which had a slew of slow orders back in the early 70's due to track conditions.

So with grass added with the track textures, this is the Seashore Branch I remember as a kid. A few snaps of how it looks now below. I didn't want to post them until I had his permission to use them. Still had to adjust the grass a bit but looks like the 70's again.

Keyport, NJ Station area.

Broad Street Keyport, NJ area

The "5" corner area of Keyport, NJ

Heading towards Union Beach, NJ

Crossing Florence Avenue in Union Beach, NJ

Behind the Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) facility in Union Beach, NJ

Behind JCP&L in Union Beach, NJ from the caboose

​Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Mark,

You've got this route looking good. Thanks for all the hard work! Looking forward to the finished product.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Mark, The crew's nerves used to get raddled on the U34CH as even the frame would twist a little with the pounding of the FDLV16 at full RPM. The engine had to turn a constant 960rpm to maintain the 480v 60hz for the passenger cars. I've decided to dust off the U34CH fleet and will be slowly working on them again. I've got some better material to work with for PSP7 that hopefully will aid my efforts.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Mark, The crew's nerves used to get raddled on the U34CH as even the frame would twist a little with the pounding of the FDLV16 at full RPM. The engine had to turn a constant 960rpm to maintain the 480v 60hz for the passenger cars. I've decided to dust off the U34CH fleet and will be slowly working on them again. I've got some better material to work with for PSP7 that hopefully will aid my efforts.

Robert
    That is great but first and more important. I hope you are all batten down there in NC. Dorian is still packing a punch I am hearing from some friends in NC. Keep safe !
    - Mark -

My location is ok. We only got wind and rain. My old town I used to live in got tornado's and complete power failure. The whole town in the dark after the tornado's.

I don't have any damage to my place thankfully. The only issue I have is the town's water is brown, brown like poop and I can't get anyone to answer the phone. It's after hours and I'm stuck waiting for answers until morning. No notice on their webpages either. Honestly looks like the river water is getting directly into the drinking water supply someplace.

Our coast was still getting pounded good as I type this. I live thankfully further inland away from the ocean.

There is already the possibility for another hurricane to form out in the Atlantic ocean though. This might be a rough year of hurricanes.

Robert

Looking great!

One question though - I saw this in the PRR-ER as well - the whistle post is right at the crossing, not 20 sec at the speed limit to 1/4 mile back as in most western RRs. Is that intentional? Otherwise, it would appear that the train is supposed to stop at each grade crossing, blow the whistle/horn, then slowly proceed through. Am I just imagining something? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Looking great!

One question though - I saw this in the PRR-ER as well - the whistle post is right at the crossing, not 20 sec at the speed limit to 1/4 mile back as in most western RRs. Is that intentional? Otherwise, it would appear that the train is supposed to stop at each grade crossing, blow the whistle/horn, then slowly proceed through. Am I just imagining something? Thanks.
    Ten to one there's another crossing about that far down the track. Many railroads, especially back in the day, used separate whistle posts for each crossing, even if they overlapped or were closer than 1/4 mile to each other

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Ten to one there's another crossing about that far down the track. Many railroads, especially back in the day, used separate whistle posts for each crossing, even if they overlapped or were closer than 1/4 mile to each other
    "DING !" Correct Travis ! Jersey except for the NEC is know for one thing, Grade Crossings. Hell we got 3 of the most dangerous ones in the country. One just a mile from me here. The CNJ did the standard 1/4 mile rule. I wanted to change the posts from those blocky white one, so I used the Conrail set from in the library because they would be more native post April 1976.

But your last statement is correct. More so on low grade lines & low speed lines. Take for instance where I grew up here in my town, the NYSW's Garfield Branch was 1/2 block from my home. First grade crossing coming from Passaic Jct. in Garfield is Lanza Ave. The old whistle post was less than 500' from the crossing. Why? The track speed from the mid-1970's to abandonment in the mid-1990's was 7MPH max ! I remember asking the late John Treen, Trainmaster for the NYSW back then why the posts were closer. He said at an average speed of 5MPH, do we really need a whistle post just past the Route 46 grade crossing in East Paterson (Now Elmwood Park), blow, and then the train hit the grade crossing a half hour later? Then after Lanza Ave, you had 3 crossings a 1/2 block from each other, then in 900' the last one. It makes sense.

The Seashore Branch here post 1965 was that type of line. Then when Conrail took over operation, even with small upgrades to the line to NATCO / IFF. Track speeds were still 20 MPH but mostly did 15 and under. By Florence Ave in Union Beach, I remember seeing my first "MX" Conrail post. And like I remember seeing back in 1980, there is one there because Florence & Poole Avenues are within less that 500' of each other.
    - Mark -