Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Now, about that relay box...did you make individual crossing identification plates for your crossings, or did you do what I did and use one for all the crossings on a particular railroad?
    I made one up using the Canadian National CFIL trackside box in the library here. I sent emails to see if I could just put a plate on the relay box for use in the route for when I release it, but got no reply's yet. The EULA states you need permission so I am hoping for an OK. Otherwise I have to try and find another to use for this part of the project. I wanted something like this for the older style look. I might have to go modern then which I really don't want but will use if I have to.

As for the answer to your question, I did this one directly to the box. I like to try and find a small plate so I can many them up to use with different markings along the ROWS of the route. This way I can keep the count and size down on the files.

BTW, your signs are great !!!
    - Mark -

I now have Chatsworth 99% done as of tonight. Only real thing left is old ties & rails on the side of the ROW. If anyone know the old CNJ Southern Division back in its last 10 years of operation south of Woodmansie (1968-1978). The were loads of old replace ties and rails to the side of the ROW. Those I will put in when I go back and overlook the area here (The people on here that modify routes, you know looking at an area you are doing for a while that you go batty afer a while and miss things sometimes.),

Plus I hate the squared corners of NewRoads at intersections and "T's" in the road. Being this is South Jersey where sidewalks are scares and soft, sandy shoulders exist. I will put weeds to hide the 90 degree angled corners.

So here are a few screenshots of what is done. Next I decided to work on replacing the pines moving north & then start rebuilding the Whiting (Manchester Twsp.) area. The tracks around the area I know well as it was a spot I visited a lot in that era. Whiting is now known for the last 40+ years as the retirement village area of NJ. In the early to mid 1970's the central area of Whiting started building up as more and more retirees started moving in by the droves. So that will be next on the list.

The corner of Main Street & Savoy Blvd looking at the offset corner.

Looking south down Main Street towards the tracks.
    Now looking north up Main Street from the tracks near The Blue Comet Memorial.
    The corner of Main Street & 1st. Street looking down where the Chatsworth station once was. The house in the far right in the screenshot is the station, it has been a private residence since 1958.
    A home in the pines off County Route 532. It is visible from the tracks.
    Looking north up the ROW near Main Street. The scrub pines make a huge difference.
    An overhead shot of the area I redid. I should have taken the fog out so you could get a better idea of the depth. I will take another one of the weekend and show it better.
    CNJ SD35 #2508 & a caboose head up from Bridgeton towards Clayton Sand in Woodmansie. Here it is crossing Main Street & a seen like this was common from 1968 to 1976.
    Last but not least is a little something for me. Petey The Feral Cat. He in real life is a feral cat in my yard (Along with 5 other) that we all take care of. He is the watch-cat, keeping the others (Except Gimpy, a 14 year old feral Himalayan Mountain cat with a club foot, he is the elder of the pride) in line. My little Tuxedo friend will pop up throughout this rebuild. Here he is tormenting a dog by sitting on his doghouse.

Until the next update, enjoy. - Mark

- Mark -

Looks amazing. Great job! As dark an era as this was for railroading, I find it the most interesting. Eclectic, beat up motive power, run by railroads struggling to pay the bills etc, shows how resilient railroaders are. An era of true grit.

Real nice work!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Yeah ! Really nice !
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Thanks everyone. Still have to add a few people & a few static autos to the scene plus MOW left overs on the ROW.

I think I am going to have to change the relay box because I didn't get no replies yet about the crossing plate modification I added to it. If so i will have to change to a more modern box. Most likely the one Travis has in his misc. file that is in the library here.

Today has been a day of making custom road signs that are around Whiting, NJ. after Whiting I will start Lakehurst and that is when the real fun beings.

This in really a fun project because it really stirs my memory.
    - Mark -

I actually had to dig into my files to see what you're talking about. You mean those old DMIR-style signal boxes? I really need to make new versions of those, since I can actually make them the right size for one of my projects (which includes their home turf). I might even make a spot for one of those ID plates. Do you know how big it should be? It varies by railroad

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    I made one up using the Canadian National CFIL trackside box in the library here. I sent emails to see if I could just put a plate on the relay box for use in the route for when I release it, but got no reply's yet. The EULA states you need permission so I am hoping for an OK. Otherwise I have to try and find another to use for this part of the project. I wanted something like this for the older style look. I might have to go modern then which I really don't want but will use if I have to.

As for the answer to your question, I did this one directly to the box. I like to try and find a small plate so I can many them up to use with different markings along the ROWS of the route. This way I can keep the count and size down on the files.

BTW, your signs are great !!!
    Consider this as a "Yes go ahead"

Quote Originally Posted by DualFlag View Post
    Consider this as a "Yes go ahead"
    Thank you Ben, it is greatly appreciated !
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I actually had to dig into my files to see what you're talking about. You mean those old DMIR-style signal boxes? I really need to make new versions of those, since I can actually make them the right size for one of my projects (which includes their home turf). I might even make a spot for one of those ID plates. Do you know how big it should be? It varies by railroad
    Thanks Travis ! I will go measure those plates this week. I have both NJT & NYSW in town here. On the part of the Southern Division that the NJSL (New Jersey Seashore Lines) is restoring between Woodmansie to Lakehurst, then are use the "Big Boxes" like in your DMIR set. The main plaque on the box are the size of a small speed limit road sign 12" x 18". And is in regulatory reflective white sign - black lettering.

The mast mounted sign is the same size but in the standard blue sign - white letting. I attached a Google Map street side screen shot of the NJSL Lacey Road crossing to show you.

- Mark -